Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this afternoon, as I eased to a stop at a busy junction, waiting to turn right, a young driver of a dark blue VW Up! approached to my right, with the left signal flashing, thus indicating that he was preparing to turn left into the junction.

However, instead of turning left, he proceeded to drive straight on past the junction, oblivious that his indictor was flashing, as he continued to converse with his two friends, who were also present inside the vehicle.

Fortunately, being the conscientious driver, one who waits for indicating vehicles to turn into junctions before pulling out (assuming there is nothing approaching to my left), a potential collision was averted.

Still, I considered it a very close call.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well done. Your Up is still intact!!

One thing I was taught..many years ago now..but has stood me in good stead though out all these years is...." Never assume anything"

If I could pass anything onto the younger generation....I think it would be this.

Go well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I whole-heartedly agree.

Waiting until an indicating vehicle has begun to turn, before pulling out, was something that my driving instructor instilled in me throughout his tuition all those years ago.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Worked well for us then. To our younger friends...We are not trying to gain " points". re read these posts if you wish to.

Up! and Up! is the way to go. That is our common denominator.

Go well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed. And then our renewal premiums would be even more reasonable.

Could we really get our renewal quotes down to as low as £10 p/m by suggesting such reasonable behaviour?
Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wishful thinking I feel...although having said that, we had the first week of ownership with the free VW insurance and then paid £135 ( fully comp') for the remaining 51 weeks of the year, so not that far off the £10 p.c.m.

Not with VW insurance I might add. Their quote was completely silly!

To our younger friends, my first car cost more to insure...Just 3rd party..no fire and theft..than I paid for the car.

Not what you guys have to pay today I know....but it was not all Milk and Honey in my day either

Go well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was fortunate to secure a year's free insurance, in addition to a free Lifeshine kit, when sitting down with the salesman.

Although, before visiting the dealership, I did make enquiries into insurance quotes.

The most reasonable quote I received was in the region of £165.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine was garaged each night and less than 5000 miles per annum. Next year, I suspect we will have to hunt around again. Oh Joy!!!

Go well.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Night owl, I just do an online compare the rat type quote, then phone my current insurer and invite them to match it.....usually works. ....simples!Aaarg!

·
Registered
58 Posts
He was obviously just showing off to BMW drivers that his cheap VW came supplied with indicators as standard equipment

·
Registered
448 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Night owl, I just do an online compare the rat type quote, then phone my current insurer and invite them to match it.....usually works. ....simples!Aaarg!
Hi Privatdoc. I do this annually. Sometimes this approach works for me, and then sometimes not. On my Motor Home and classic car, I have been able to stay with the same Insurer for years.....but not on my day to day car. I have had insurance quotes on my Up that have differed by £100's of pounds.My Previous " family car " that I owned for 11 and a half years " was the same. I think I changed Insurance companies ever year of my ownership.

Your input, my friend ,on this Blog is what we are about. Let us exchange our opinions .

Go well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi NightOwl my friend. I don't tend to shop around I have been with Direct Line for seventeen years now. If I think the renewal is a bit high I just go back to them and negotiate. I stay with them because of the good service they give. Wife's car was damaged in a car park and when we returned to the car a witness gave us the drivers registration number. One call to Direct Line was enough they did everything and it did not cost a penny. Car was picked up repaired and returned with no loss of NCD. The cheapest is not always the best. Edited by: Beevee

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Maybe people should have a wee look at this.......

[TUBE]ZK5WppGN6fA[/TUBE]

Edited by: gary02tdi

·
Registered
583 Posts
gary02tdi said:
Maybe people should have a wee look at this.......

[TUBE]ZK5WppGN6fA[/TUBE]
Yeah, dunno why they push it as an anti-speed add though.

To me it screams :

YIELD ! when required to do so !

It's extremely rare that I find myself endangered by some speeding motorists.
But people that fail to yield threaten me almost daily !

The threat of higher speed is only a latent threat.
The threat when failing to yield is highly acute !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts