Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used Rainx a few weeks ago and now the wipers shudder and it is awful, have cleaned them several times and cleaned the window several times. The rainx is terrible and would never advise it I spoke to a work colleague and he said the same happened to him in his Vauxhaul Ashtray...

I wonder if it is possible to get better wipers to replace them with, any links would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
727 Posts
tweeter1980 said:
I used Rainx a few weeks ago and now the wipers shudder and it is awful, have cleaned them several times and cleaned the window several times. The rainx is terrible and would never advise it I spoke to a work colleague and he said the same happened to him in his Vauxhaul Ashtray...

I wonder if it is possible to get better wipers to replace them with, any links would be greatly appreciated.

I put some other brand of Rainx type water repellant on the windscreen of my last car and swear I will NEVER make that mistake again..!! Had the car (Lupo) 9 years and for over 8 of those years I tried to remove that crap off of the windscreen but was never successful.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use Rain-x on all the cars I have owned and it is most effective if you do a lot of motorway driving but as soon as you drive under 30 mph rain doesn't displace fast enough, Also you have to remember to reapply every 3-4 weeks. I must say it is the absolute best thing on the side windows and makes scraping ice easy, but not the rear window.
Goto www.rain-x.com there they have a Q & A section.
Q: What product can be used to remove Rain""‘X® Original Glass Treatment from glass?
A:Rain""‘X® Extreme Clean is the best product to use to remove Rain""‘X® from a glass surface.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Over the years I've learned that nothing is better than Mr Muscle regular household glass cleaner an a good quality screen wash at a decent concentrate, I've had no issues with the up continuing with this method.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Why not the rear window?
Since I removed the rear wiper, I've been treating mine with rainX, and it's great! The water beads, and you can always see clearly, if it gets a bit much, stick the screen heater on an it's fine. I've never thought about using it on the front though, surely that's what wipers are for?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I found that water doesn't repel as good on the back screen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I collected my new Up (12th December) the salesman mentioned that my car had the improved wipers. From what I remember the wipers of the demonstation car when I ordered it (mid October) were sort of basic but mine has a thicker-wider blade which sort of sags at the ends when you lift the arm away from the windscreen, seems much better......and works really well. It looks like later models have an improved main wiper blade for the windscreen. Perhaps VW alsorecognised the need. I guess its a mod.
Now they just need to copy the Yaris which has a 'spray' washer rather than a jet (2 of them)Much better!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Funny my Up! has a washer spray!! What car are you driving??

·
Registered
47 Posts
O right! Interesting. Thanks for mentioning that. It should say at the bottom of my post above....that my caris a 5 door, light blue 'Move up' with a 'real' spare wheel in light blue. If your 'high up' has 'spray' nozzles, I might give the dealers a ring and find out if they can get me some cos they are so much better.....My 3 yr old part exchangedYaris had them. So much better!Strange....Are you UK based?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry. Using my I phone which does not give signatures. I am UK based and was told that spray washers were standard. Was also told that some of the cheaper additives give poorer results.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My up has a spray just like our golf mk5

·
Registered
47 Posts
O thanks!... I notice both you and Beevee have 'High Up!s' and wondering if 'spray' jets are standard for these, buton my'Move up' they are jets. I phoned VW agents this morning and they said the later Golfs had sprays also and are looking intomy request to have 'sprays'with their parts department.....and will get back to me if not today, after the hols. I'll post when I hear

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I am beginning to think that it is because I have the High Up that I don't seem to have any of the problems posted on here??

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Davec86 said:
I have a move up, ad have had zero issues, I don't think the spec is relavent.
I also have spray washers.

Hi Davey22. If spray washers are standard on a move up perhaps you should take this up with your dealer!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Apologies! You are all correct. MyVW dealer said the Windsceen washer nozzles are the same part number for all the Up's. I double checked my washers again and they are indeed 'sprays' and not 'jets'. So, either the initial surge of the liquid changed the pattern slightly when I first tried them or I wasjust mistaken, I'm not quite sure but I did try out the washers on the demo car that I tried before I ordered my Up and they also seemed to be jets. Definately less spray like than the previous Yaris.....so I think this is a combination of old age and senility, sorry.

·
Registered
315 Posts
To remove any screen sealant ; use Halfords Glass Cutter (a cream in a bottle). Works very well.

We had problems with juddery wipers back in August. Thread on here somewhere.

Dealer replaced blades front and rear and they still juddered.

Basically I flushed the tank and lines clear of the rubbish screen fluid they had used and replaced it with Comma Xtreme from Halfords.

Bliss! Quiet and effective wipers!

Edited by: VWXYZ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts