Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a Polo before my UP and when it was new the engine cooling fan used to come on a lot.

I have never heard the fan come on in my UP! even though we have just had a hot summer with temperatures going over 30 Degrees.

I know they have done a lot to reduce internal friction (and heat) and it might be that you can't hear it as the engine is not that quiet and it does vibrate a bit at tick over.

Although I have been in a few traffic queues lately and not heard anything I must admit I am not unduly worried about it.

Anyone heard their fan come on ?Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
430 Posts
Never heard mine, but not really listened for it to be honest.I assume there is a temperature warning light if there is a fault or the engine gets too hot?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think ( without looking at the manual ) there is a coolant temp and low level warning light and an audible warning if it gets too hot or too low.

Anyone else heard their fan operating ?

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Engine temperature is displayed on the onboard computer and M&M. Once the engine reaches operating temperature it remains constant. I have never heard the fan come on.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beevee said:
Engine temperature is displayed on the onboard computer and M&M. Once the engine reaches operating temperature it remains constant. I have never heard the fan come on.
It rapidly goes to the operating temp and stays there but has anyone seen it start to rise just before the fan comes on.

My old Metro gauge used to rise when climbing hills and go down when coasting, I don't think the UP gauge is very sensitive but my Polo one wasn't either.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many new cars don't show real temperature. Actually, it doesn't get to 90C so quickly as it is shown. It varies between 75-80 and 90 while you are driving. When the temp reaches 90 and a few more degrees, the fan should start. I haven't heard it.

VW doesn't want us to worry about temperature, and that's what all of that is about.

Edited by: Milos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts