Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a Newbie can someone explain the need for new or should I say different bulbs on a new car. Also are wind deflectors necessary or useful on the upEdited by: Di ury

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The reason appears to be that for some the bulbs supplied are not bright enough or should be more white in colour. Some especially do not like the yellow indicator bulbs. Personally I find the bulbs supplied sufficient but if some want different bulbs let them have them. The only thing that irritates me is those who choose to use very ultra bright bulbs and then drive so close that my car is filled with light and I am dazzled by them.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Reasons

I live in the country and with no road lighting at all, the stock headlights are just too dim....I've osram nightbreaker ultimates as headlights...huge difference in light throw and brightness whilst still being legal and a relatively cheap upgrade at around £13 the pair.

Indicators...I disliked the big orange bulbs at the front so switched to phillips silvervision....makes the car look better imho

DRL lights, well once you upgrade the main lights, the drls/sidelights look very yellow in comparison so some folk switched to MTEC bulbs (I did but they lasted only 2 months (5k miles for me) I now have LED bulbs fitted but keep a set of standard filament ones in the car in case the boys in blue have any issue with led DRL's (and to switch when its time for MOT)

hope that explains the rationale behind switching bulbs

·
Registered
198 Posts
I also changed my main bulbs to OSRAM night breaker for the same reasons as privatedoc

When travelling on country roads they are brighter and just as important are fully legal.

The height adjustment option inside my UP ensures I do not blind other road users

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
feel free to click the 'thanks' button

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Why is it necessary to switch the bulbs for the MOT if they are still legal Privatedoc?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
The LED DRL lights are also sidelights and I'm not going to risk LED sidelights for the mot...they are clearly not as omnidirectional as the original filament ones and the 5w setting is just as bright as the 21w drl setting.....the indicators and headlamps are definitely MOT Legal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My MTECs are still OK after 3 months, touch wood, but I think I'll just go back to the standard bulbs if these fail. I haven't changed any of the other bulbs as I do very little night driving.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
To be honest, I think the Mtec bulbs look great but my silly mileage means they have the equivalent of 1 yrs use in 2.5 months. I bought a box of 10 ordinary dual filaments for £16 at the autofactors...!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have to admit that since people started mentioning their short life, I'm constantly looking at the reflection in the back of the car in front to make sure they are still working :)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Just click the word thanks above the post...I have just thanked you for the previous one

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Unfortunately there is no thanks button on the mobile version of the forum. Is it possible to add one?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Ahhh.....don't think so, however I never use the mobile version, I just use the full version on my phone or ipad and enlarge the text for a read! .... I'm old and need big writing!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I will try to use the classic version when I need to thank someone for their contribution as I have done so with yours. Edited by: Beevee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts