Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my little Up last Friday, and it made me furious to see that the speedometer, tachometer and fuel gauge design were changed. I bought an Up and not a Citigo, not because I am snob, but because I appreciated the extremely well designed dashboard, classy and minimalist. I think is real bad that VW hidded the information that the cars we looked at the show room were better than the ones they would sell. Has enyone experience something like that?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Gusi said:
I got my little Up last Friday, and it made me furious to see that the speedometer, tachometer and fuel gauge design were changed. I bought an Up and not a Citigo, not because I am snob, but because I appreciated the extremely well designed dashboard, classy and minimalist. I think is real bad that VW hidded the information that the cars we looked at the show room were better than the ones they would sell. Has enyone experience something like that?

Is it that you don't have aseparate fuel gauge and tacho? Are you UK based?

As the Take up! does not have either as standard although many seemed to have come throughinitially in the UK with them maybe due to lack of parts or something?

·
Registered
198 Posts
pictures please

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Gusi,
Your post prompted me to look at the dials of some of the recent gallery posts e.g. PrivateDoc's up! White and it does indeed appear that they have changed the design of the instrument dials when compared to the beautifully simple design of the cars featured in the up! brochure and the demo I drove in May.
Presumably this is one of the 2013MY changes - but not one for the better. The original design was one of the things I preferred about the up! dash vs. the Citigo. Now the only difference appears to be the colour of the needles (red vs. white)and the colour of the LCD screens - which are green on the Citigo (and still black on the up!?).
It will no doubt be a case of 'we reserve the right etc. etc.' but it is a pity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your answer :) I am located in Denmark. The speedometer, fuel and tacho have the same size and location, but it lost the fat minimalistic numbers and the silver rings, plus it looks cheaper than any other part of the car. It looks frankly cheasy. Much worse than the Citigo or the Wii.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Mine still has the silver rings but the background to the numbers now illuminates white when switched on...I like it.

Remember, uk market requires both mph and kph to be visible.

Trip computer is red digits.

Certainly not cheesy....have you a picture of yours?
Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Mii sport has the silver rings on the dash illuminates white and the trip computer all...so is red .
And as far as i'm aware all Mii's but the basic S model has the basic dash.
so the Mii and the up are the same they both illuminate white with red and black lcd screen and the citygo goes for the green look ......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the pictures of PrivateDoc's up! and that is the beautiful dashboard I wanted. I will take a picture and post it tonight.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Gusi said:
Thanks for your answer :) I am located in Denmark. The speedometer, fuel and tacho have the same size and location, but it lost the fat minimalistic numbers and the silver rings, plus it looks cheaper than any other part of the car. It looks frankly cheasy. Much worse than the Citigo or the Wii.

Be interesting to see pics the numbers will have changed due to UK cars having to show MPH and KPH either on the speedo or as aseparatedisplay.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Had a look at Private Doc's pics and it looks fine to me! Not sure what all the fuss is about!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would check with the dealer if it has not been mis-built with the painted rings missing. Does happen more often than it should. But no changes to spec like that for UK cars that I have seen orheard.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I like the old version better - it is a cleaner design perhaps. I don't think it would bother me too much if my car turned up with the new dials though. Just give me a temperature gauge instead of that tiny rev counter...
Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I prefer the older one, but to be honest, if I'd received the newer version it would have taken me age to realize that it was different (I'm not the most observant!).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to Peter Møller for the pictures :)
I admit it, I am a design-freak and fell in love with every single detail of the brilliant Up.I know that most people would not bother about the dashboard.When I say "most people",I include the sales guy that could not see any difference by watching the two different designs...

Thanks for your comments, this turned to be a really usefull forum.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
I like the old version better - it is a cleaner design perhaps. I don't think it would bother me too much if my car turned up with the new dials though. Just give me a temperature gauge instead of that tiny rev counter...
I'd rather have the rev counter ... It is something I use on every journey, unlike a temperature gauge which I have never needed, thus far anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts