Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for sometime but this is my first post. For the last year or so, I've been learning to drive ""” I'm not by any means a young driver but my wife and I have two small children and decided that it was time to finally get our driving licenses (city dwellers!). We had decided that, once I got the license, we would need to get a car but it had to meet a lot of criteria (small, cheap but reliable, safe, good environmental credentials""¦). The up! on paper seemed to tick all of those boxes and it was at the top of the shortlist. In fact, thinking that one day we might be driving around in an up! actually motivated me through the long ordeal of learning!

So last week, I sat and passed my driving test (I was over the moon!). A few days later we dropped into a dealer to see the VW up!. My main worry was the boot ""” so I brought along some suitcases and bags to see what would fit ""” and I was pleasantly surprised ""” we could get everything in! Then on Thursday we had a test drive ""” wow! What a lot of fun it is to drive! My wife was equally impressed ""” she described the car as having a lot of character which is very true I think.

So Friday, I went to the dealer and we bought our first car! It's a white High up! Blue Motion with all the options including the sunroof and it will arrive in about 2 1/2 months. Can hardly wait. We hesitated some time over the colour (black looks great too but so does white ) and also the sunroof (do we really need it?!)

Anyway, I expect I will be an even more regular visitor here from now on so just wanted to say hello to all!

·
Registered
105 Posts
What an awesome story.

Had my up a week and its my family car and its coping well with the school runs and outings with both children feeling like they have plenty of room.

:)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That is a really good little story lol you will defo love your up! Made me smile when you said you went to the dealers with a suitcase and bags lol it reminded me of wen my pal was buying his Q7 he wanted to take his dogs to Audi and see how easy it was for them to jump up from the floor to the boot, it turns out the dogs where to smelly for his new car so he bought an oldish merc estate for them haha!

Congrats on passing your test! Is your wife learning to drive aswell?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Itzben said:

piece of advice, views shouldn't have drivers licenses, they do enough back seat driving already. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Itzben said:
That is a really good little story lol you will defo love your up! Made me smile when you said you went to the dealers with a suitcase and bags lol it reminded me of wen my pal was buying his Q7 he wanted to take his dogs to Audi and see how easy it was for them to jump up from the floor to the boot, it turns out the dogs where to smelly for his new car so he bought an oldish merc estate for them haha!

Thanks, Itzben. I did feel a bit silly bringing the suitcases and rucksacks stuffed with cushions to the dealers, but I figured it was better to find out if there would be a problem with the boot size before buying it. The dimensions of the boot make it quite accommodating for luggage I think. Most of the time we will be using it in town or for short day trips.

My wife is next up to learn ""” she was a bit nervous but it will be easier now for her with us having the car, I think.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I suppose it would makesense if the dealers had suitcases andpushchairs and alike available in the showrooms forthosewith this type of concern.

It would give people that piece of mind when they have just spend a heck of a lot of money then have regrets for months while they wait fr there new car to arrive

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use my for work and needed to get my henry hoover and other cleaning stuff in the boot and the dealer tried it out with the hoover they use for the show room!Its the best car ive ever had, Ive got a pale blue Move Up! bluemotion with cream interior.
Thw first time i filled up with petrol the girl at the garage said "do you know your cars smiling" and thats exactly what it looks like.
makes me smile every morning when i go out ;-)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Itzben said:
Made me smile when you said you went to the dealers with a suitcase and bags lol it reminded me of wen my pal was buying his Q7 he wanted to take his dogs to Audi and see how easy it was for them to jump up from the floor to the boot, it turns out the dogs where to smelly for his new car so he bought an oldish merc estate for them
Makes me feel more normal! I too went to the Dealer .... with a Spirit level and measuring tape. NO car brochures these days give the measurement for the seat height off the ground and I wanted to compare the up! with my Qashqai and my wife's Agila (which has a good commanding view of the road and which she (and I) really lvalue. Dealer was amused and curious until I showed him my original Mini brochure dated 1970 which gives almost every dimension imaginable.

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Haha now you mentioned tape measure I remember my dad getting his out of his van and we measured the doors on the up! Deciding to get a 3 or 5 door, he said a 3 might bang other cars in car parks and I was used to a 5 door golf, but was sick of being the friday night pub taxidriver so we opted 3 door!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts