Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Just thought I'd introduce myself,

Will be ordering my new Black Groove UP (with cruise control and lowered springs) later today.

I am swapping from an MX-5 due to spending 90% of my driving in traffic and fuel costs were crippling me, and the up with the maps and more, heated seats, cruise control digital radio and fender sound system seemed like the only option that would make up for the fact I'll no longer have a (albeit girly) sports car.

So i just wondered if anyone here has any experience with the Groove UP! and especially the fender sound system. I work as a sound engineer so having this is something I am really excited about.

Anyway just thought I would introduce myself because if I need any advice, here will be my first port-of-call.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Ninjadam,

My high up! at least has maps and more, heated seats, cruise control ...

Don't have DAB because it is not so common in Germany yet (or I just didn't realize it) ...

I also thought about taking the Fender Sound System - but I don't drive much (1750 miles year?) and feared about my battery ...

I have been a hobby musician for 35 years and own a Fender Super 112 tube amplifier as well as a small Fender Frontman 25. Have a Fender Nashville Telecaster. I also play bass (Roland amplifiers) and have several Fender and Squier basses ...

As far as I know you can't control the additional stereo power amp in the spear wheel place. But you have controls for Treble and Bass, Balance and Fade (front/rear) ...

My high up! with its Sound Pack Plus (6 steakers, dual stereo amps) already has a good sound (but I am no HiFi fetishist). Love to listen to old 1960s Rocksteady Reggae at the moment. The bass with flatwound strings sounds really great! I think with a Fender Sound System it would even be "more impressive" ...

The "Fender" Sound System is produced by Pioneer as far as I have heard - but can't proove it. It is surely an upgrade compared to the Sound Plus package. You shouldn't expect too much. Don't think it has the quality of a good studio monitor system - but it's surely the best you can get in any "small car".

Maps and more, heated seats and cruise control (including other nice "cockpit functions) are great! I use M&M as a speed warner now. 5 mph to fast (adjustable) in cities and a voice reminds me that I am too fast. Helps me save money in the end ...

EDIT: I have a black 4 door up!, too.
It has a red dash and red/beige Salsa seats. "Very special" - but I love the colours. Well; you have the option of a black (silver?) or orange dash in the Groove up! I smile every time I see my red dash. Looks great combined with the chrome ...

Edited by: Cadfael

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Groove Up! obviously with the Fender system and love it. I think the poster above saying not to expect too much shouldn't comment if he's not heard it. I have a friend with an Audi A6 and Bose system and whilst not so many speakers, the sound is just as good.

I cannot get it to distort however loud I turn it up. In fact the doors rattle before the speakers do. The sub in the boot provides fab crisp bass which you can feel right through the bottom of the car. I love it!

If I have any criticism it is that the speaker and sub/amp system is only as good as the head unit it's running through. Its limitations are 'tweaking' the sound as there is only a bass and treble option and you can't change the bass of the sub on its own. I find the treble up max and the bass just off max is about right. That means you get the 'tish tish tish' sounds of symbols and a decent amount of bass.

The Fender system is by far the best part of my Up!. I had a Golf before this with 12 speakers and, whilst good, is not a patch on mine. I also had an Up! courtesy car last week during service with the sound pack and the Fender system trumps it.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it though. Hope you enjoy it.

Edited by: chris3624

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Chris,

DOOR RATTLE ...
In the German forum I wrote about door rattle ...
There is an "air outlet" at the bottom of the plastic door coverings.
Someone told me to push a 3/4" diameter "felt" (you glue under chairs to make them quiet) into the air outlet. The outlet still works, but the plastic can't vibrate anymore ...

Fender Sound System ...
You are surely right that this system is a good system and an excellent "factory fitted system".
I was just writing this because ninjadam writes, he is a sound engineer. I do a bit home recording and know what amateurs already expect from monitor systems. I think ninjadam only laughs about my Roland/Cakewalk MA-150 system at home. A good pair of monitors costs 1000-2000 GBP ...

@ ninjadam:
I don't know which formats the M&M can read by heart ...
But you have a slot for a 32GB microSD card. So, You can carry a lot of favorite songs with you in your up! ....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Haven't done it my own yet - but it was a "trustful tip".
Don't know what you can get in UK building centres. Maybe a piece of "hard foam" also serves well.
Don't close the whole "air outlet". Just a "bridge in the middle". Hights of the foam or felt about 4 to 5 mm? ...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks Cadfael i've noticed my door rattling more and more recently. Now got 9K miles on the clock. Will turn the sound off when it next occurs to prove that it's the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys, more excited than ever now,

I'm not expecting studio monitor quality, just something that will sound nice and musical at loud volumes.

I'll let you know the expected delivery date when I know!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Been lookin through this great forum for a month or so and just registered... I am awaiting the same groove up specification in black - really excited as it's just arrived in the uk so shouldn't be long now
really glad to hear the fender system is good... I had a 2004 polo as my first car and the stock system in that (6 cd changer) was amazing - currently have a 2011 Astra and even with an aftermarket subwoofer added it sounds absolutely terrible and is the main reason I'm part ex-ing it for the up - finally a car I can love again

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Billiebass,

don't want to hijack ninjadams thread ...
But if mp3 is good enough for you, you can take 5000 songs with you via microSD card in the M&M.

I have to admit it temped me to have the Fender logo in my car; with two Fender guitar amps, a Fender guitar, a Fender bass (Aerodyne Precision Bass Special CIJ) and two Squier by Fender basses.

I wanted to have an up! with four season tires on and this in impossible with the groove up! alloys.

There should have been a Fender Sound System up! in Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue or Surf Green ...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cadfael said:
Hi Billiebass,

don't want to hijack ninjadams thread ...
But if mp3 is good enough for you, you can take 5000 songs with you via microSD card in the M&M.
The Maps and More is also FLAC compatible for those who insist on cd quality. You can download free software online to allow recording from cd using Free Lossless. I did it for the SEAT Portable System in our Mii and bought a 32Gb micro sd card. Amazing way to have tons of music with you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds great! I'll probably Bluetooth my playlists from my iPhone to it aswell... I also wanted mine in midnight blue but it was not an option for the groove up! so settled for black... Have a feeling that they will eventually add the fender sound system as an option on the high up in the future of open up the variety of colours available for the groove

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was disappointed that the High Up! didn't offer the Fender upgrade (I wanted the spare wheel and BMT slightly too much to go for the Groovey). How come they offer the Sound Pack as a £100 upgrade on the Groove Up! configurator by the way?After test driving one without, I think the sports suspension is worth it as well.

Good purchase, enjoy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good point, the option for sound pack confused me too... Also I asked for it in BMT but it wasn't available for the groove, I assume it's because of the extra power being drawn from the amp or something?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Billiebass said:
Good point, the option for sound pack confused me too... Also I asked for it in BMT but it wasn't available for the groove, I assume it's because of the extra power being drawn from the amp or something?

Could be the reason, though I would think the amps power would be almost insignificant compared to things like Air Con, and mine will happily sit with engine cut and A/C on.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
In Germany you can get the groove up!with BMT ...
And you can also get the high up! with Fender Sound System ...

Might have to do something with "makret size" and spare parts or not overstress dealers (and their service centres) ...

In Germany VW is still one of the top 3 and you have big VW dealers ...
I think VW UK wants to cut the number of possible up! combinations.
Counting together motor + gear box, you have six possible high up!s (normal/BMT/ASG as 60/75BHP). Same with the groove up! ...

But don't moan too much! You get some extras, we have to pay for because it is not included as standard!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I stand corrected
- shame because I definitely would have liked it with BMT... But never mind, I collected my up! yesterday, it is everything I hoped it would be and the stereo is excellent

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Can there be a better car for a bass player than a GROOVE up! with Fender System?

Okay; maybe a GROOVE up! with Gallien Krueger, Mark Bass, Ampeg or Glockenklang system ...

Which bass amp do you have?
I have a Roland CUBE 100 BASS (which might fit in the front) and a Roland D-BASS 115 ...
A Groove up! with an Ampeg 810 "refrigirator cab" might cause problems ...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bluetoothing music from an iPhone is not great. You get much better sound from using the SD card slot. You can directly copy iTunes bought stuff to the SD card as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts