Up Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My wife has recently got her dream set of wheels, a GTI up!
She has had two previous up!s and been very pleased with them.
It certainly drives really well an the standout is definitely the the verve of the engine, very impressed.
However like her two previous cars the performance of the headlights is poor on dipped beam. Looking to upgrade the bulbs ASAP, so would appreciate any advice on which bulbs to choose?
Thanks,
Steve987

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I replaced the poor bulbs with Osram Nightbreakers, straight swap out, and way, way, better. Others have used different ones to good effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the update, appreciate you taking the time. Our gti has drl's but otherwise think it is just an H4 60/55 halogen bulb. Is that the same as you found?

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
First thing you need to do on any up! is adjust the headlamp aim.

Its set too low from the factory, you can sell because you can see the cutoff at the top of the beam pattern on the floor if parked on a flat piece of ground, or when travelling along a flat road, which shouldn't be the case.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
They're great, but don't forget that longevity of super-bright bulbs is proportional to their claimed brightness.
An alternative is to change the lamp units to twin-bulb versions, so that on full beam you get 4 H7 bulbs, all on at once.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up, will check the adjustment.
They're great, but don't forget that longevity of super-bright bulbs is proportional to their claimed brightness.
An alternative is to change the lamp units to twin-bulb versions, so that on full beam you get 4 H7 bulbs, all on at once.
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for your thoughts and input, really appreciated!?!
One thought from me now. I hope everyone is using super unleaded in your cars and not this new e10 stuff. .....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Nothing wrong with E10 in our Up's. Some use super unleaded, some just E10. I've tried both. The E10 is fine in both my Gti and the Mrs' Tsi.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Maybe it's now much colder where you live. If anything, my mpg has increased in the last few months. Instant figures don't mean a lot, the real data requires many cars over a long period all averaged out to see a real trend. My gripe is the current rip-off price of fuel (even at my 50mpg) so someone in government must be getting a bung from OPEC... :)

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
Really?
I'm down about 50miles a tank using E10.
It's not the E10, it will be another factor.

Maybe you took some different routes this tank
Maybe you got stuck in a long traffic tailback
Maybe the temperature has changed significantly since your last fill up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually the full beam is quite good on Nightbreakers, it's the dipped beam that still needs more oomph. Weirdly.
Hello,

Thanks again for all the suggestions and info. After a bit of research have purchased and fitted twenty 20 H4 bulbs to the Up! and am very impressed with the improvement. Night and day difference comes close to the summing up of there performance. All for £24, a bargain. Straightforward to fit and would wholeheartedly reccomend them as a great value for money upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts