Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GTI White 5dr ordered for spring 2022 - that gives me 7 months to sort out a spare wheel. Any advice welcome.

My 16 plate Polo GTI sold to dealer (because ridiculously good price offered was too good to refuse) so will be without a car for 6 months. Hopefully my wife will let me use her runabout :) !

Strange that I don’t remember looking forward to getting a new car so much for 20 years - is it an Up thing?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Congrats on your order we ordered a Tornado red 5dr with black roof last week. I have a delivery date of 28/02/22 but not holding my breath. It is what it is.
Only thing is they are taking are current car in part ex so I have to drive it around until then. Suffice to say im driving like Miss Daisy :)

I am looking for a winter shed though and we have the option to sell our car to Arnold Clark or WBAC as long as the values stay high.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on your order we ordered a Tornado red 5dr with black roof last week. I have a delivery date of 28/02/22 but not holding my breath. It is what it is.
Only thing is they are taking are current car in part ex so I have to drive it around until then. Suffice to say im driving like Miss Daisy :)

😂 Waiting for new reg document for Polo so it will stay in garage as much as possible until they arrive.

Delivery for me is 31st March or later as I wanted winter to be mostly over before delivery so not trying to get ASAP - probably a good thing with the supply problems!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well done! That’s 7 months of excitement building…. And the best thing is you won’t be disappointed when it does turn up!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had not thought of that. I should perhaps say thank you 😁

·
Registered
394 Posts
GTI White 5dr ordered for spring 2022 - that gives me 7 months to sort out a spare wheel. Any advice welcome.

My 16 plate Polo GTI sold to dealer (because ridiculously good price offered was too good to refuse) so will be without a car for 6 months. Hopefully my wife will let me use her runabout :) !

Strange that I don’t remember looking forward to getting a new car so much for 20 years - is it an Up thing?

Congrats on the new car order.

For a spare try the web site "THEWHEELSHOP" They do a 14" space saver for the UP GTI for £30-00. They also do full size wheels but more expensive. They also deliver anywhere.

This 14" will only fit on the rear wheels as the front wheel break callipers are too large for a 14" to fit. You simply have to change the rear first and use the wheel you have removed to change with the front wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the new car order.

For a spare try the web site "THEWHEELSHOP" They do a 14" space saver for the UP GTI for £30-00. They also do full size wheels but more expensive. They also deliver anywhere.

This 14" will only fit on the rear wheels as the front wheel break callipers are too large for a 14" to fit. You simply have to change the rear first and use the wheel you have removed to change with the front wheel.
Thanks for the information - I will take a look!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
For the cost of a wheel that will fit on the front or rear, I'd bear it!
Sod's Law clearly states that if you buy a wheel that doesn't, the puncture will be on a front tyre, and it will be at 1:00am in a lay-by, no mobile signal, and in the pouring rain....

·
Registered
394 Posts
For the cost of a wheel that will fit on the front or rear, I'd bear it!
Sod's Law clearly states that if you buy a wheel that doesn't, the puncture will be on a front tyre, and it will be at 1:00am in a lay-by, no mobile signal, and in the pouring rain....

Of course you are 100% correct, but comparing £30 for a 14" to £90 for a 15" that would still probably only fit on the rear? Thats the only size advertised on their site. If you could get a 17" from another company i am sure it would be very costly.

I never drive at night infact i dont drive much during the day lol (1000 miles a year) so i am happy with the £30 spare. I also have an excellent breakdown firm to call if i dont feel like doing the work myself and always keep my phone fully charged. Yes i am perfect and very modest. Anyway with the £60+ saved i can spend it on a few curries yum yum.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just back on subject. I can’t see how I track my order by app or online. My dealer said once the factory acknowledge my order I can track it. How do I know if the factory got the order for my car. Short of calling the dealer ?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Don't worry - the "tracking system" doesn't really work - maybe it's better for tracking bears in the woods - your dealer will have placed the order, as they have quarterly and probably monthly targets to hit, and placing the order with VW UK is how this gets measured in order to get their discounts, wine boxes, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I remember tracking a new BMW I bought. I swear it took three months crossing the channel!

/not entirely accurate.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Online tracking is one those gimmicks to make olde-worlde companies look "hip and down with the (digital) kids" - but they are largely clueless with anything not involving oily bits in my experience.

Amazon do it well! It's shame they don't sell cars yet.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks guys I was just curious. It would have been exciting to see the progress but it will get here when it gets here.

Sorry OP for posting this question here rather than in my own thread ☺

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can buy VW 15 inch Merano wheels from Inchcape VW dealers in Chester for £146 each. They are the official winter wheels for the UP Gti over in Germany. I have them fitted all round on my Gti, it improves the ride no end and I haven't had any punctures since fitting them either. (I had two in 2000 miles on the original wheels).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Thinking about the OP, and given a 7 month wait and not much discount (?), I'd go back to the dealer and insist that they include a full-size steel spare wheel, and the offcial tool kit in the foam block, and express doubts about having to wait.... It's a VW part-numbered bit of kit. That's what I did when I bought my little Citigo, and got them to give me free official mats as well - they didn't make a fuss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can buy VW 15 inch Merano wheels from Inchcape VW dealers in Chester for £146 each. They are the official winter wheels for the UP Gti over in Germany. I have them fitted all round on my Gti, it improves the ride no end and I haven't had any punctures since fitting them either. (I had two in 2000 miles on the original wheels).
My local dealer in Aberdeen can source those alloys for me - it is a safe but pricy option - although everyone that has fitted them seems very happy with the results on 185/55 x15 tyres. Also a number of owners have gone the vintage Corrado G60 steel wheel route, which is much less expensive, and they look good in a retro way.
Which ever wheel I pick will be fitted with all weather tyres so that will be another decision. Plenty of time to decide before car arrives in Spring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts