Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The other half and I picked up our high up in white yesterday! We are loving it but on the way to work this morning the top of the gear knob came off in my hand
!... I hope this isn't the sign of things to come, German engineering and all that don't you,

The dealer was very good, I suggested I could superglue it back on but they insisted on sending out a mechanic who replaced the whole stick, knob and all, taking away the offending item to send off to VW quality control....

Updating the maps and more has also been a little bit of a nightmare as it failed last night leaving the unit as a black brick! But I was able to restore this morning... And update it now do all was good eventually. Word of warning, backup before you update as the restore is a three gig download!! ouch!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they have been tops so far, locating a white high up as per our required spec within a week! and sorting this very quickly...obviously the VW dealer feedback phone call survey will be very very positive (at the moment- hopefully not to change!)Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
423 Posts
My wife's Polo developed a squeaky seat after six months use. Dealer replaced backrest and seat squab to cure it.....I expected them just to squirt some lubricant around!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It feels quite tight to drive at the moment. It's not revving that freely as it's still very new. Overall I would say we are very pleased so far. I have just been reading the handbook about running it in, we asked the dealer about 'run in' and he said just drive it as normal. So that is what we are doing, however they are a little more conservative in the handbook, no reving, and keeping the top speed down.

The seats are comfortable with very good side support, unlike most of the competition in this market, where you feel as if you are sitting on a flat seat not in the seat. The interior has a solid feel, well thought out feel. (apart from gear knob woes that is! )

The best thing by far about the up, is the room. I am six foot two, the misses is five four, I am finding that I am not having to move the seat as much as in other cars. The inside feels tardis 'big' if you get my drift and the boot is great for most luggage. I have worked out that I can get my bike in the back with both seat down and my wheels off. Not bad for a city car, I have to take the front of to get my bike in the Volvo estate I have!

We keep looking at it out the kitchen window, it's looks are something quite special really, neither over the top 'funky quirky' or boring 'VW don't upset anyone' styling. They have pulled off something quite difficult to do, in that it looks just 'right' as it were.

Early days yet, I am trying to understand/ learn all functionality of the maps and more, now it's working again!

Apart from the other up at the dealers, we haven't seen another up on the road yet, and it's strange to see people looking intently as you drive past... It's not a Lamborghini but you get the same looks off passers by which is really weird...I reckon they are thinking 'what is that then.'
Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Markmod1 said:
I have just been reading the handbook about running it in, we asked the dealer about 'run in' and he said just drive it as normal. So that is what we are doing, however they are a little more conservative in the handbook, no reving, and keeping the top speed down.
I asked about running in on the Honest John forum. The concensus was as you say, keep the revs below 4K, don't labour the engine, and try not to do long stretches at a constant speed and gear i.e. vary the speed a bit. These days engines are far more tightly engineered than in days gone by, so running in is easier and the car is more tolerant.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ah but how many miles before you c an open it up a bit - 500, 1k or what?

I would guess about 1k but does anyone know any different?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easier said and done in modern days motoring cut and thrust, I remember the days of driving past cars trundling along newly opened motorways. Card board signs in the back window with the words running in please pass. Can you imagine if you did that now, you'd get run off the road!

Keeping it below 4000 rpm is hard to do, as the torque seems to come in higher up the rev range. Reversing off the drive tonight, seeing the rapidly approaching white van transit man whizzing toward me at speed required a few more revs than I really wanted to use... Running in please pass I thought!
Edited by: Markmod1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts