Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am now the proud owner of a Tornado Red Seat Mii - Toca. To my surprise the dealer told me I was the first one to pick up my Mii with an updated version of the PID (M&M) unit.

They are now Garmin branded and have some new features, the main one being Live Services which uses your phone's internet connection to download traffic, weather and speedcams.

I've not had a chance to play with it so far, but from what I can tell the unit has changed slightly as well. Comparing the manual of the Navigon version to the Garmin version the mic location has moved.

Will try to have a play in the next few days and perhaps take a couple of pics. In the meantime there is a new website and manual available here:

https://pid.garmin.com/pid/
https://static.garmincdn.com/autoOem/vw/docs/UserManualUK.pdf

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
had a look, nicer live integration, very similar to navigon branded units, wonder if there is a software upgrade to this functionality for existing units?....congrats on the new car!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks good. I would love to have the mic in the left side on my unit, as it would then be closer to the driver position. (The optimal solution would of course be an external mic).

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Toubro, mic is super sensitive anyway, I often have to lower my voice volume when speaking , moving it 10 cm will make no difference, I agree that an external mic input would be good though.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Nowt on the fresh site about upgrading etc for existing users.

just checked and current software hasn't changed...shame, live services could be useful

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just wanted to have the Think Blue trainer, but I'd guess that still reserved for VW folks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Very interesting! Let's hope we get an upgrade soon

·
Registered
198 Posts

I like and want the new live features, hope its just a software update

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Software version on the new V2 Device is 7.11.22. Looking at the Specs the only difference is the RAM has doubled to 256MB. The manual which now includes lots of screens relating to the e-UP! also mentions DAB control so future Up!'s may get a DAB radio.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Is the new Garmin unit still using the bulky round Navigon mount or have they changed it as well..? How about the thickness of the unit, are they still the size of a small brick or is it thinner than the Navigons were..?

·
Registered
727 Posts
vwild1 said:
Is the new Garmin unit still using the bulky round Navigon mount or have they changed it as well..? How about the thickness of the unit, are they still the size of a small brick or is it thinner than the Navigons were..?

Was just looking at the manual for the Garmin and it pretty much looks like the old Navigon. It even uses the round cradle mount that the Navigon had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It makes me think that it would definitely be possible to upgrade our NAVIGON PID by simply substituting its content with the folders and files present on the GARMIN (as fresh does not propose anything...).

We could use the files of Gaz2972 or anybody having the Garmin and interested in participating in such an "experiment". Anyone ?

Cheers

Toine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Humm

Maybe Navigon is right, but I doubt it.

The Live services uses the internet connection of a bluetooth smartphone. So I cannot see any hardware problem here... (as opposed to the Navigon 70 Premium Live for instance, that has a dedicated SIM slot). Also the only hardware difference between the Garmin and the Navigon seems to be the RAM quantity; which is not a limiting issue I suppose.

Conclusion: why not trying and see

Antoine

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks like we were stitched up on the M+M map update package. It's now 19.95 euros for lifetime updates if you register within 30 days of purchase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yesterday I collected my CNG-powered Up, and they gave me the Garmin unit! I was the first one for that dealer, too! So lucky!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am really hoping they will offer to me tomorrow at the collection the updated version of the unit. We will see, really interested in the live services as the traffic to work most of the time is quite the pain!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts