Up Owners Club banner

New member and a question

8K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  thirteen-o-two 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

Not an UP owner yet, but seriously thinking of becoming one. I'm currently driving a first gen Mercedes A-class which is also kinda small outside-big inside. However, it has almost the same power-to-weight as the up, but with a third of the fuel economy.
It doesn't really make up for it with charm either...

In my quest for finding out about the Up I had one question I couldn't find the answer to. What's the maximum load length with the seats folded in the 3 door model? I saw that the 5 door can be ordered with a folding front seat, but I prefer the 3 door.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't say without measuring it. But i did a trip to the local dump in it this weekend. With the rear seats down you can use the moveable boot floor that you get with move and high ups to give you a flat space which is ideal for loading up with refuse sacks.

#3 ·
had 6ft lengths of wood in it (into passenger footwell)

#7 ·
As a fellow musician I popped out in the cold to check. :) With the seat pulled forward and the back inclined I got a flat and clear length of nearly 1400mm! I think the suggestion of a trip to the dealer of an ask of a long overnight 'borrow' would be best. If it helps I can try a couple of guitars in the back with photos tomorrow.

#8 ·
thirteen-o-two said:
As a fellow musician I popped out in the cold to check. :) With the seat pulled forward and the back inclined I got a flat and clear length of nearly 1400mm! I think the suggestion of a trip to the dealer of an ask of a long overnight 'borrow' would be best. If it helps I can try a couple of guitars in the back with photos tomorrow.
Awesome, thank you so much!! that's more than enough space. The guitar cases would be fine, and most of the bass cases but I've got an oversized Gator case that I was doubting.

The UP is quite impressive considering my long wheelbase A-Class has between 1220mm and 1539mm of load length available. Nice to know it won't be a compromise.

BTW, I saw your username and thought... I wonder if that's a reference to the beetle. So, I checked your link in the signature and wasn't let down! Some very nice cars there! I'm a big fan of the 1302, and especially the 1303. I've wanted one for years. Will have to wait a while as it's near impossible to run a classic as a daily here unless you have a modern car also. I'll get the modern car part sorted first, and then onto the fat bug - Kafer cup style!

#10 ·
I could fit my (sadly now sold) Wal Pro II bass into the boot but the front passenger seat had to be slid right forward.

solution......Get a status headless Bass ;-)

#12 ·
Indeed.......big follower of percy jones, chris squire and richard sinclair

#13 ·
Ah.

Alex Al, Norman Watt Roy ( who I very nearly bought his JB from), Tal Wilkenfeld, John Entwhistle and Geddy Lee for me

Buying old Fender basses is the reason I drive an Up not a Bentley

#14 ·
Love Geddy, my first 'real' bass was a 4001 although natural, not black.

sold my fretless wal to a collector in the states , currently bass-less but eyeing up a stealth carbon fibre status (previously had a status headed bass with graphite neck, a FP with hot-rodded electronics in a fetching orange colour!
, various steinbergers that I never really got on with, a few yamahas and a Tobias)

only play for fun now but mrs privatedoc hates it (classically trained pianist) so headphones it is!

#15 ·
Hi Folks, Loving this thread....Would you mind if we moved it to Idle Chit Chat?Maybe under " Music " just to keep the Up! theme ? I am going there now....follow?

Go well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.