Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody I have an Up a Blue Motion Move up

The lights do not give a very good upfront view at night on dark roads. I have only had the car a few weeks and coming back from Henley I crossed paths with a deer which I only saw when about 20 ft away..I braked and the deer turned and hit my drivers side wing mirror. It knocked the glass front off completely. It has cracked the casing and the black plastic that attaches it to the door..so what I thought was a quick repair looks like it may be an insurance job. I am fine..don't know about the deer..not sure what to do as it is illegal to drive without a drivers side wing mirror....

Love the car otherwise..and hello !

·
Registered
5 Posts
About 50,000 deer get hit every year in UK! Its shocking. Our 4 day old Citroen was nearly totalled by one a few years back. Son driving on his way back from failing his test. Not a good day!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Firstly why did you not have your lights on full beam? I am amazed how many people drive on dipped lights on country roads. Secondly make sure you set the beam control to maximum effect again many drivers do not understand about the adjustment dial on the dashboard. To clarify that your lights are set up right it would be a good idea to have them checked at a garage. Sorry to hear that your nice new car has sustained damage and hope you get it sorted soon. Happy motoring. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks there were cars the other side so could not use full beam at that time I did whenever I could. I have only driven it twice in the dark. It should have all been checked at the VW dealership before I picked it up as it was their courtesy car for six months. Just an unlucky event will sort it out in the morning guess it is an insurance job. Thanks for your reply will get the light adjustment checked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident.
I drive a lot on rural roads and changed my headlight bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited.
I'd recommend them, they light the road up considerably more than the standard bulbs. £15 or so well spent I'd say.

·
Registered
164 Posts
<table ="tableBorder" style="table-layout: fixed;" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" align="center"><t><tr ="msgOddTableRow" style="height:200px;min-height:200px;"><td ="msgLineDevider" valign="top">

<div ="msg">
Sorry to hear of your accident.

My UP! has very good lights, and the lighthouses are Hella made in czechoslovakia, but do'nt know what bulbs they have.

</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It might sound good advice but they are a pain in the arse for cars in front of you. If they are not adjusted properly they dazzle the driver in front. I often find that the car behind with these ultra bright bulbs light up the inside of my car and can't believe that the driver behind doesn't realise this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got them from Amazon.
Fitting was easy, pulling the connector off one of the bulbs was a little stiff, but that was the biggest issue.

I haven't noticed signs of other road users being bothered by them.The main benefit is when they are on full beam, and obviously there aren't any other cars around when I have them on this setting.
The only drawback I am aware of is the bulb life is shorter, as they have a finer filament to give the more intense light, and the finer filament will burn out more quickly.
@Beevee are you sure that you are talking about the same thing? These are just brighter bulbs. Xenon conversion kits seem to be the culprits for dazzling other drivers. These can cause all sorts of problems I understand when they aren't set up correctly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would like to upgrade mine to Osrams, I have found that stock VW bulbs are a bit poor. Halfords own-brand top end bulbs are pretty good (and very cheap if you can wangle a Trade Card), made a big visibility difference to my Corsa and Scirocco.

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope it gets fixed so you can enjoy your Up! again
Edited by: Ed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok well drove over to Dealership where I bought it. Gave me a breakdown of all the parts needed...plus guestimate of time. Just under £500. Thats guaranteed max. Includes aeriel and two tyre valves that are missing. Free clean and valet and ready tomorrowat four. Needs to get paint job on back plate but putting tge slightly crAcked one back till its ready....also replacing rubber seal around window as it has split.... Result and no claim

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ed! said:
I would like to upgrade mine to Osrams, I have found that stock VW bulbs are a bit poor. Halfords own-brand top end bulbs are pretty good (and very cheap if you can wangle a Trade Card), made a big visibility difference to my Corsa and Scirocco.

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope it gets fixed so you can enjoy your Up! again

I had Halfords bulbs in a previous Mondeo & I agree they are good bulbs, but I found the life even shorter than Osrams so even though they are cheaper there was no saving in the long run & also the less often you have to change bulbs the better!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
As posted elsewhere on here, my headlights (62 Up) seemed really bad as winter approached and when checked were aimed a lot lower than my other car, I feel that they have vibrated downwards over the two years we've had the car as adjusters feel very loose. Anyway, adjusted them upwards (but not blindingly) and it has improved the dipped lighting by loads.Best to get them checked out for correct aim by a garage but doing it yourself a little bit takes seconds as long as you don't go to far.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Frankjetta said:
As posted elsewhere on here, my headlights (62 Up) seemed really bad as winter approached and when checked were aimed a lot lower than my other car, I feel that they have vibrated downwards over the two years we've had the car as adjusters feel very loose. Anyway, adjusted them upwards (but not blindingly) and it has improved the dipped lighting by loads.Best to get them checked out for correct aim by a garage but doing it yourself a little bit takes seconds as long as you don't go to far.
The oficial VW services have the optical tools to get the best precision on the headlights adjustement.
Many times, the problem can be the bulbs are losing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts