Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, bought a new up yesterday, at VW Lincoln, they were doing an irresistible deal and I had to succumb or more truthful the wife said we were getting it. I'm from the senior years but at heart I am a boy racer, I currently drive a highly modified 350Z recently upgraded with a Vortech V3 supercharger now turning out 420bhp, I enjoy a bit of tracking with it.Back to the up, very pleased at the build and quality of the car and its handling. The car is used mainly by my wife for work and town driving and I have to say again its a beauty at that. Not so sure that buying a car that does not have a spare wheel, tool kit or car jack makes VW look good. Whilst I am aware that the new era of cars do not have a spare wheel, I can live with that, but not having a wheel wrench and jack smacks of being a bit tight. Anyway small moan finished I've sorted out a deal on a full size spare and tool kit unused for £90 just could not get the thought out of my mind of breaking down with a flat a few hundred miles at night and not getting to a garage till the next day.
I've already had a check around on here and I like the information that is on the site, always a help when you find others that have had the same problems and how they resolved it. I expect to be an active user so its cheers from me now. Jeff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Collected my new up! on Friday-I'm completely smitten. White with a sun roof that already has come into it's own.Have done some motorway driving and average on maps and more was 62.5 mph-is that correct? If so I have chosen well!
I had a spare tyre with mine-I thought it was standard issue.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Glad you are pleased with your purchase. Various threads indicate that maps and more overstates by approximately ten percent. This being so your miles per gallon is probably a little above mid fifties. Still good in my opinion.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hello Folks and welcome to the forum. I echo the opinion of Beevee about M&M's prediction of m.p.g. Deduct 8%-10% and it is about right. As others have stated here it does seem that the more miles you do the better the economy gets. I did not like the thought of having no proper spare wheel so bought one at the point of sale. This then included the wheel brace and jack for £50 I think.

They are Great cars...so enjoy.

Go well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi Jeff welcome to the forum ,reading your post I had the same thought exactly, but when you put pen to paper
the car is not that expensive as most people think. The more options the more expensive it becomes. It is good for
the people who just want a new car and haven't got to purchase the extras that they do not require ie maps,air con etc
etc.The extras i purchased seat height adjustment, remote control door locks,electric front windows, spare wheel with a
jack and the five doors and it was not expensive for such a lovely car well built. Excellent drive fantastic economy.
They say it's a city car. I personally prefer driving it on motorways especially long journeys,it's so comfortable I could
drive it all day long,it's simply the best thing that VW have ever made.Especially when,as I said you can build your own
to suit yourself and is within people's budget, well hope that little helps,hope you have lots of happy times and loads of
Trouble free miles Regards Phill
Edited by: Bossphillip

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Welcome....as you can see, we have done many miles, 80k between both our ups and we are still delighted every time we turn the key....long runs and using the cruise control can bring economy of an indicated 70+ mpg so prob around 62-64 really.......absolute wonder of a vehicle that shows VW can get it very right if it tries!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments, I don't expect the mileage to be much over 4K a year as its mainly run around as a city car, I believe the new word for this type of car. Used to be an engineer so I am aware that even today they needs a run out now and gain so we'll take this car over to Sheffield to see relatives,the roads are mainly motorway dual carriage way for us so it gives it a bit of mixed driving.On another subject how do people feel about running a car in (the olden days) I still think that a little bit ofnon aggressive driving and driving excessively is still good in the first 1K miles. Having said that my wife, nicknamed by the locals, the Stirling Moss of Tesco's car-park has a reputation of never been beaten out the car park
. Cheers all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice to see that phill thinks it's the best thing that VW has ever made...given that it's made in the Czech Republic by Czech workers in a Skoda factory on the same lines that the Mii and Citigo are built. Financed by VW, yes...made by VW, not really.

·
Registered
97 Posts
oxonboxn said:
...... it's made in the Czech Republic by Czech workers in a Skoda factory on the same lines that the Mii and Citigo are built. Financed by VW, yes...made by VW, not really.
Oh dear oxonbon, they are all actually made in Bratislava which is in Slovakia.
It's the old and new Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 108 and Citroen C1 that are all made in Kolin in the Czech Republic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I understand that the VWTouareg/Audi Q7/Porsche Cayenne are also made in the same Factory in Bratislava as the Up/Mii/Citigo. I imagine that it's just another highly automated, high tech VAG factory that has to conform to the same standards as the other VAG plants. In 4 months of having my Up! I can't fault it's build quality.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Robbyrook said:
oxonboxn said:
...... it's made in the Czech Republic by Czech workers in a Skoda factory on the same lines that the Mii and Citigo are built. Financed by VW, yes...made by VW, not really.
Oh dear oxonbon, they are all actually made in Bratislava which is in Slovakia.
It's the old and new Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 108 and Citroen C1 that are all made in Kolin in the Czech Republic.
Oh, sorry...my mistake! However, the gist of my comment is still valid, I think.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
nice to think of it trundling down the line behind a £100,000 Cayenne turboS...(i know it doesn't really!)

Value for money......10 ups or 1 cayenne ??? Hmmm , let me think for a nanosecond!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts