Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Nice! V8 W UP ...

I'm somethimes amazed about the numberplates you can choose in the UK ...

(or sometimes choose but aren't allowed to have)

As living in Dortmund, I could at least choose DO UP 2112 ...

We have to have the "Euro-number-plate" (you surely know?) in Germany
with the "Euro-number-plate-font" ....

If the plack colour wears out it is forbidden (and costs money if you get caught) to refresh it your own with an Edding. It has to be refreshed in a shop which produces the number plates (or you have to buy a new one).

In Germny the plate is a "state document"! Every alteration by yourself is forbidden ...
There is a badge of your county on both plates you get at the "road traffic licensing department" (bringing the plates with you). There you also get the (first) "TÃV" (Technical Control Board) badge which shows when the next TÃV is. After the Technical Control Board test, you get the new "2 years badge" from them ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cadfael said:
Nice! V8 W UP ... 

I'm somethimes amazed about the numberplates you can choose in the UK ...

(or sometimes choose but aren't allowed to have)

As living in Dortmund, I could at least choose DO UP 2112 ...

We have to have the "Euro-number-plate" (you surely know?) in Germany
with the "Euro-number-plate-font" ....

If the plack colour wears out it is forbidden (and costs money if you get caught) to refresh it your own with an Edding. It has to be refreshed in a shop which produces the number plates (or you have to buy a new one).

In Germny the plate is a "state document"! Every alteration by yourself is forbidden ...
There is a badge of your county on both plates you get at the "road traffic licensing department" (bringing the plates with you). There you also get the (first) "TÃV" (Technical Control Board) badge which shows when the next TÃV is. After the Technical Control Board test, you get the new "2 years badge" from them ...
Well, thank you!

Your system sounds quite rigid then, what a shame. Thanks for explaining how it works. Guess you just get used to it... ; )Edited by: vwsal88

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
@ downunderup:
So, you have the same number plates and letter font like we in Germany?
The "001" is great!
(and impossible in Germany)

Here is mine ...

@ Robert:
Reminds me of my visit to the IOM in August 1997 ...
Won't forget this wonderful island!

Edited by: Cadfael

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Laxey Laxey...oops I mean Likey Likey!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
@ Cadfael,

Cool plate.
Here in Victoria, Australia, we can have the option of "Standard" plates, or "Euro" plates, which are fitted to my Up!
Of course you have to pay extra for them (Euro plates), but l like the look of them.
Picture below is of Standard Slimline plate.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi downunderup,

The first letter(s) are for the city or district (1-3, demending on how they are).
I have the "advantage" to live in Dortmund - which has "DO".
Then follow 1-2 letters and 1-4 numbers (1-2 numbers normally for motorbikes).

I could also have taken DO WN 2112 for my up! ...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Cadfael,

The V is for the state of Victoria, then any combination of 2 letters and 3 numbers.
My "Euro" plates would normally be issued as required, but l got them first before they were issued out.
We can also have custom plates and have just about anything you would like.......well within reason.
l know this is not much use to you, but here is the web site for our custom plates etc......https://www.vplates.com.au/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts