Up Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I am new to the forum. My wife purchased a 2013 19,000 mile VW UP yesterday, but only received one remote Locking Key Fob. (not other type of key)
I am not sure what they came with but , is there any way of purchasing a new key without going to the maindealer?
I notice that many places sell the shell and some sell the fob with the Chip but not for VW UP's seems to be everything VW but the '[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI I am new to the forum. My wife purchased a 2013 19,000 mile VW UP yesterday, but only received one remote Locking Key Fob. (not other type of key)
I am not sure what they came with but , is there any way of purchasing a new key without going to the maindealer?
I notice that many places sell the shell and some sell the fob with the Chip but not for VW UP's seems to be everything VW but the '[email protected]
Hi did you manage to get a new key as I have the same problem?

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
I don't think Timpson's can do an Up key as they have a rolling-code immobiliser, pretty sure they can only do fixed code ones (I may be wrong though!)

Key from VW is around £195 plus coding for a flip-key, you'll need to take the V5 log book and some photo id to order one.

Some Ups only came with one remote key and the spare was a non-remote type, that's definitely the case with my 2013 High Up

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think Timpson's can do an Up key as they have a rolling-code immobiliser, pretty sure they can only do fixed code ones (I may be wrong though!)

Key from VW is around £195 plus coding for a flip-key, you'll need to take the V5 log book and some photo id to order one.

Some Ups only came with one remote key and the spare was a non-remote type, that's definitely the case with my 2013 High Up
We have managed to lose our only key.. it was a basic black key (not remote or flip). It’s an Take Up 2014. I ‘think’ it still has an immobiliser chip in it? Will I have to get the dealer to create a new key from the vin? Anyone know how much? I’ll try and call them later this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have managed to lose our only key.. it was a basic black key (not remote or flip). It’s an Take Up 2014. I ‘think’ it still has an immobiliser chip in it? Will I have to get the dealer to create a new key from the vin? Anyone know how much? I’ll try and call them later this week.
I was in the same situation as you all after buying our car. Contacted a local auto locksmith here in the North East and he sorted me a brand new remote key, not genuine VW but a nice copy part that works perfectly well and still is 3 months later.
Paid £120 all in including the key, key blade and fully coded.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
A non-remote key is £91.16 inc vat from VW, you'll need to take the log book and some photo id to order one from any main dealer. The key will need coding to the car, all VW's from 1995 onwards have an immobiliser chip inside the key that needs to be programmed to the car.

If your car didn't come with remote central locking, buying a remote key won't give it remote central locking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My local VW dealer has quoted £97 for the non remote key plus £35 to program it. However they have said we have to get the car to them! I asked if anyway around this and they said no.

An auto locksmith has said they can provide a cut and programmed key for £140 without having to visit. So it would appear this can be done remotely using the vin number?

·
Registered
2014 High Up!, 75hp,Black
85 Posts
My local Auto locksmith was £85 all inclusive cut and programmed

·
Registered
324 Posts
Called VW in Salisbury about this and they quoted me £280 for key and coding - key was around £190. Two week lead time. At that price I might have a fiddle around with VCDS and an app I have which can extract the SKC from the immo. Probably VW have changed things but I've successfully made and coded remote keys with it for older Golfs and Passats.
They also quoted £450 for cambelt and waterpump. Both seem on the high side but I guess it is Salisbury.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My local Auto locksmith was £85 all inclusive cut and programmed
Was that price to replace the only key (I.e. all keys lost) and did they have to come to the vehicle?

From searching around it appears that “all keys lost” is more expensive than if you still have a key to copy from. And I still can’t figure out if a key can be programmed remotely without seeing the car .. one online company said they can cut And program the key from the vin number with no need to see the car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Was that price to replace the only key (I.e. all keys lost) and did they have to come to the vehicle?

From searching around it appears that “all keys lost” is more expensive than if you still have a key to copy from. And I still can’t figure out if a key can be programmed remotely without seeing the car .. one online company said they can cut And program the key from the vin number with no need to see the car.
It's slightly more expensive if you've lost all your keys because you need to gain entry to the car.

Top tip: always, always take a good quality photo of your key blade before you lose it, as you can get a key cut from the photo by most online locksmiths to gain you entry. Otherwise they need to come out and pick the lock. It's a really good idea to have an "entry key" cut that can't start the car just in case you lock your keys in the car (I've done this on older VWs with the autolock function - usually in the boot, it's a right pain easily resolved with a dumb entry key that will only cost you around a tenner.

Once you have access to the car you need to have all your keys with you when they code them to the car. A key previously used in another car can't be recoded to your car, but your old key (even a non-remote one) can be coded to the car. Basically what happens when they add a newly cut and uncoded key they have to wipe all key information from the ECU/cluster and then add them back one by one - that's why all keys need to be present. A new uncoded key gets coded and permanently assigned to the car when it's inserted in the ignition barrel and switched on to position 1.
Basically the way VW security (and most modern immobilisers) work is that there's an internal code in the ECU which the chip in the key needs to be synced with, the code then rolls over after a certain length of time - a bit like when you get a security code to log in to your internet banking. See Rolling code - Wikipedia for nerdy details

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. I already have access to the car because the passenger door was left unlocked. The key (basic, non remote, no buttons) was lost during a dog walk in a forest! It broke off from a bunch of house keys.

·
Registered
2014 High Up!, 75hp,Black
85 Posts
Hi Updad

Locksmith came to me at home as i bought my High up used and Cat N damaged and only had a non plip key by now.

supplied, cut and programmed to my up in about 15 minutes £85 all in.

not a genuine key as i wanted 2 button fob not silly 3 button as high up doesn't have remote release on boot anyway.

Regards
Rick

Reactions: kiloran

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's a very good price and encouraging to hear. Won't stop me haggling the price down if I happen to find a car with only one key.
I recently got an extra key for my Golf Mk4 (coded it myself) and the remote and blade and cutting didn't leave much change from £50.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.