Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today is the day I picked up my new to me Up GTI, a car I’ve always wanted and had my eye on ever since they were released.

I’ve just downsized from a 2017 Golf GTI DSG and the initial feeling I’ve got from the short drive home is, why didn’t I do this any sooner? The Up is so much fun and so engaging to drive, it really does prove the theory the speed and power really isn’t everything. Anyway, I won’t bother preaching to the converted but - if anyone finds themselves in a similar position to me and ends up seeing this, please do reach out to me if you’re struggling to make a decision.

The car isn’t staying stock for long with the infamous Eibach Pro Street’s already on the way. I intend to go for a very OEM+ look with this.
As with all my new cars I’ve just spent 10 minutes sat on the driveway with the engine running familiarising myself. What I didn’t expect to find was a very lovely note from the previous owner. If by any chance you happen to be on here and happen to see this, don’t worry she’s in safe hands.

Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Font Handwriting

Handwriting Rectangle Font Writing Pattern

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Excellent, and a nice touch from the PO !
Welcome to Up Gti ownership.
You won't be disappointed. I'm on my second (new on 3rd March this year), after having a new one from 2019 to 2022. I had a Tsi before that, and my wife still has one. Daughter has a 2019 Gti too.
I know these are exceptional times, but my first one cost me very little over nearly 3 years, with the amazing way that S/H prices went, but it also costs me £180 insurance, and averaged 54 mpg.
What's not to like ?
Congrats and keep us posted on developments.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I've been lurking here for quite a while now but really happy to say I'm finally an owner and can call myself a proper member of the forum! :)

Yeah living costs were the primary motivator for changing the Golf but not the only reason, definitely looking forward to cutting my costs but I just really love the car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That’s a really nice touch from the previous owner 😎

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So some further thoughts after having the chance to take the car for a bit more of a spin. Honestly so much more fun than the Golf ever was. The gearbox is silky smooth and the ratios are perfect, it’s so fun to quickly whip through the gears.

The economy is nothing short of a miracle, even on a spirited drive I was hitting the mid to high 50s. Crazy.

Also made sure I reduce the pressures from the crazy 39psi to a more sensible 30psi front and 28psi rear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I specced climate control - don’t really need it. I specced reversing camera - don’t really need it. On reflection I’d have been just has happy with the standard car with no options ticked 👍

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the camera would be nice but I’m going to lose any sleep over it given that the back ends pretty much where the window is 😂

I think the Maps and More app could do with some love, it’d be nice if they could integrate Spotify into it somehow but maybe one day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So making some enquiries into fitting costs for the coilovers, looks like quotes are coming in at around the £300 mark without any wheel alignment. I think that seems quite expensive but that is based on my limited knowledge of coilovers.

Does this seem about right? Anyone based in the north east who can recommend a good fitter that may be less than that?

·
Registered
Up gti
177 Posts
So some further thoughts after having the chance to take the car for a bit more of a spin. Honestly so much more fun than the Golf ever was. The gearbox is silky smooth and the ratios are perfect, it’s so fun to quickly whip through the gears.

The economy is nothing short of a miracle, even on a spirited drive I was hitting the mid to high 50s. Crazy.

Also made sure I reduce the pressures from the crazy 39psi to a more sensible 30psi front and 28psi rear.
Glad you did it mate, the remap is a must, I worried and worried and then just did it and for me it's the best thing I did along with the coil overs. Happy for ya buddy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice :cool: my first choice was a white GTi, so naturally I bought a black one :p

Whereabout in the North East are you?
I'll be fitting my Eibachs in a fortnights time, even bought the proper strut top tool instead of using the homebrew tool I made and used on my last UP!
I could practise on mine, then do yours ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice :cool: my first choice was a white GTi, so naturally I bought a black one :p

Whereabout in the North East are you?
I'll be fitting my Eibachs in a fortnights time, even bought the proper strut top tool instead of using the homebrew tool I made and used on my last UP!
I could practise on mine, then do yours ;)
I had a black car once and swore I'd never get another, but that's because I'm a little OCD about keeping it clean :D

I'm in the Teesside area so quite a bit further north judging from your bio, got a quote for £250 which isn't too bad so I might see if I can sway my local garage into do it for that and then getting the alignment done at the same time :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Luckily I like cleaning cars 😂

Yeah probably a bit too far.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So today is the day I picked up my new to me Up GTI, a car I’ve always wanted and had my eye on ever since they were released.

I’ve just downsized from a 2017 Golf GTI DSG and the initial feeling I’ve got from the short drive home is, why didn’t I do this any sooner? The Up is so much fun and so engaging to drive, it really does prove the theory the speed and power really isn’t everything. Anyway, I won’t bother preaching to the converted but - if anyone finds themselves in a similar position to me and ends up seeing this, please do reach out to me if you’re struggling to make a decision.

The car isn’t staying stock for long with the infamous Eibach Pro Street’s already on the way. I intend to go for a very OEM+ look with this.

View attachment 8535

As with all my new cars I’ve just spent 10 minutes sat on the driveway with the engine running familiarising myself. What I didn’t expect to find was a very lovely note from the previous owner. If by any chance you happen to be on here and happen to see this, don’t worry she’s in safe hands.

View attachment 8537

View attachment 8536
Congrats.Mine's white too.Exactly 3 yo but only 12,000ks from new. It's all standard apart from a Tdi Tuning box which doesn't hack-into the ECU or leave a scar on it for all to see. It really improves the torque mid-range which is far better than BHP. Don't like coil-overs as too hoppy, or any other Sus mods as it's fine standard.Ditto tyre/wheel mods. I cancelled a GR Yaris order to keep it if that gives you an idea of how nice this fun little car is! Enjoy!😁

1 - 20 of 159 Posts