Up Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
Up gti
186 Posts
Congrats.Mine's white too.Exactly 3 yo but only 12,000ks from new. It's all standard apart from a Tdi Tuning box which doesn't hack-into the ECU or leave a scar on it for all to see. It really improves the torque mid-range which is far better than BHP. Don't like coil-overs as too hoppy, or any other Sus mods as it's fine standard.Ditto tyre/wheel mods. I cancelled a GR Yaris order to keep it if that gives you an idea of how nice this fun little car is! Enjoy!😁
Could you not have told me about the GR Yaris order earlier :0

·
Registered
174 Posts
Could you not have told me about the GR Yaris order earlier :0
Interestingly my neighbour who is a car nut and had even more fast cars than I’ve had picked up one of the first GR Yaris’s and is totally underwhelmed. He says there are too many electronic aids and that unless you are trying to drive like a racing car on the road or on a which is very limited or on a track the car is very underwhelming. He thinks it was overhyped and only keeping it now as an investment. He was more interested in getting an UP Gti after seeing mine as his daily driver.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Interestingly my neighbour who is a car nut and had even more fast cars than I’ve had picked up one of the first GR Yaris’s and is totally underwhelmed. He says there are too many electronic aids and that unless you are trying to drive like a racing car on the road or on a which is very limited or on a track the car is very underwhelming. He thinks it was overhyped and only keeping it now as an investment. He was more interested in getting an UP Gti after seeing mine as his daily driver.
I must admit, the GR was something that totally passed me by - I never really understood the concept for something that is just for general road use. I would imagine great fun if you're someone who loves to do regular track days but at the same time, with there only being a small amount of them it seems like most owners probably won't want to put that kind of mileage or usage on them. Great to look at, but not something I could ever see myself buying.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So I started an Instagram account for posting progress pics etc if anyone else is on here and would like to follow - @ThatWhiteUpGTI
Also can anyone tell me if the OBDeleven pro device will allow me to change the steering wheel weight/feel via iOS? It just feels a bit too light for my liking.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So I started an Instagram account for posting progress pics etc if anyone else is on here and would like to follow - @ThatWhiteUpGTI
Also can anyone tell me if the OBDeleven pro device will allow me to change the steering wheel weight/feel via iOS? It just feels a bit too light for my liking.
If it’s the new version of obdeleven pro then yes it will as I have iOS . Changing steering to dynamic transforms it.

·
Registered
Up gti
186 Posts
Given that I read they do about 30mpg I'm not overly keen for the change atm as my commute to the hospital is 40 miles each way :/ I don't know, it was either a gr, m2 comp or new type r, this was depending on me moving closer to work. Thing is I was waiting to buy a house a year ago that was close, outbid all the time, so now I wait and watch stagflation not knowing where this world is going currently, as such, the up and it's great mileage is looking rather brilliant if I'm honest atm.

Ps, with regards to why I wanted a gr, I had read about it a year before release and did not expect the amount of orders on the never, never. I have always loved the old 22b etc etc but could never afford, now I can I have no clue what to do as the future of car travel looks bleak if I'm honest.

·
Registered
174 Posts
How do you find the steering now? I just need a bit more weight, it’s so sensitive currently that it makes the car way too pointy for me.
Love it. For me it adds the right amount of weight and a much more positive drive. I felt the same way you describe when I first had the car and sure this change will deliver the change you want.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I too hate the aids one has to switch off to achieve a normal car. I only have stop/start to switch-off on my Up Gti. I wish the ESP was switchable but no way in 2022. The lane control issue on all new cars is ridiculous! It "tugs" the steering wheel all over the place.I personally doubt it's safety. The emergency brake ditto! We are all guinea-pigs for the autonomous driving era about to arrive. I only drove a Press GR Yaris on the Track i work at it and was fine,but being 4WD gobbles it's tyres on the Track.But on the road it's not as flexible or as smooth low-down as the Up and you have to constantly work the box.Obviously quicker, but that's not everything.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Unplugging the voltage reader sorts the stop start out. Stability control can be turned off with obd but traction control which can be turned off does come back on at the next ignition cycle.... 😭

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I must admit I’ve not encountered any issues with any of the aids so far other than the steering, I wonder if again anyone in the teesside area has a spare credit to change it for me? Not sure it’s worth me buying a £80 device for one change 😂

·
Registered
Up gti
186 Posts
I ordered a gr Yaris in January 21.... Got it September 21.... Loved the test drive, but too many annoyances ... sold it in October... Ordered new up GTi in november which I picked up in march this year... I honestly prefer the up GTi, and it was exactly half the price of a gr yaris
Yeah mate and this is why I'm not rushing out to buy a low mileage GR, I will hold on to my savings and see.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ordered a gr Yaris in January 21.... Got it September 21.... Loved the test drive, but too many annoyances ... sold it in October... Ordered new up GTi in november which I picked up in march this year... I honestly prefer the up GTi, and it was exactly half the price of a gr yaris
Thank you for enhancing my decision being correct!(y) I was going to pay 34k Euros with a 4k discount included.The Gti cost me 11K Euros new in April 20 plus 3k import taxes from the Canary Islands VW dealer as the Gti not Marketed in Mainland Spain. It's as new with only 12k kilometers. A few used cars are for sale here now with an asking price of 17k so mine's a bargain.Shell 98 here is 2.33€ L, so at 5.8-6.2 L per 100ks this is a bonus, as the GR I'm sure would be at 9-10L per 100ks using the same throttle openings etc...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So just had my coilovers fitted today and the car both looks and drives so much better now, absolutely zero body roll and zero crashing! Aside from a wonky steering wheel post alignment everything went smoothly, went for a 25mm front and 30mm drop on the rear!

The only thing I have noticed so far and I'm not sure if it's anything to be concerned about is sometimes going over the occasional bump feels like it's bottoming out but only on the passengers side? It has a much more pronounced thud to it but I've only driven the car too and from the garage so this could be nothing. Did anyone else encounter anything similar on their cars?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Possibly too low and hitting the arch liner if you said cornering I would say arch spat....

Had both issues early days but that was set up issue is too low and then settling even lower.

TSi17 helped me with a photo of his rear spring perches showing 4 thread crests visible both sides and my spats have been removed on the front!

I'm nowhere near as low as some people but do have wider tyres plus spacers

·
Registered
Up gti
186 Posts
Possibly too low and hitting the arch liner if you said cornering I would say arch spat....

Had both issues early days but that was set up issue is too low and then settling even lower.

TSi17 helped me with a photo of his rear spring perches showing 4 thread crests visible both sides and my spats have been removed on the front!

I'm nowhere near as low as some people but do have wider tyres plus spacers
Snap, my mechanic set mine far too low and it sounded like something was loose, I said to him are you sure you have not set it too low, eventually he said, "I have raised it."

21 - 40 of 211 Posts