Up Owners Club banner
81 - 100 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Haha yeah when I picked the car up they were set to 39psi all the way around, crazy! Heading for a road test with the garage at 1pm today so hopefully can make some progress!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good luck mate. FYI the knocking sound on yours is very different to mine. I only mention it as we received the parts at a similar time (batch).
Hopefully it's something simple.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I spoke with Eibach directly just then to see if they could offer any insight as to what it could be, they suggested it could be caused by the technician using an impact driver to tighten the top mounts as opposed to using the correct method which seems to be an Allen key and a spanner so I will double check this with the garage. He also suggested that from what I described it could be that the damper isn't compressing which could be a warranty claim however this would need to be issued through Autodoc and he couldn't offer too much help other than that. Hopefully that's not the case but at least it gives me something to go to the garage with.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Good luck mate. FYI the knocking sound on yours is very different to mine. I only mention it as we received the parts at a similar time (batch).
Hopefully it's something simple.
Have you solved your issue yet mate?

They are a top notch bit of kit and when the initial set up glitches get ironed out they go against the the grain with regard to all coilovers ride like a rock hard roller skate and are only for track day cars!

In fact some of the setup issues are because they are so compliant and allow a lot more wheel travel than stuff like the Bilsteins with much firmer dampers and springs which often don't make the car handle better as you just get bounced around and the tyres don't stay in contact with the road....

I wouldn't be massively worried I know of at least 5 people I can recall who had something like this on install

·
Registered
964 Posts
The rears are very sensitive to banging even on stock shocks if over torqued they only need 20nm if I remember right to just compress the rubber mount and the rubber top mount on the front is huge from a mk 4 golf i think again you could tighten the **** out of that if not doing it properly and I'm sure that would bang like mad.....

I will be shocked if there's anything wrong with the actual product

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
The guy did say that it was unlikely to be the cause of the issue but just something to be considered. It's such a difficult one to actually describe, but I guess that's just the nature of these things. I'm more than sure that the kit itself is absolutely fine, it drives perfectly under all other conditions it just seems to be that one area that's causing an issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you solved your issue yet mate?

They are a top notch bit of kit and when the initial set up glitches get ironed out they go against the the grain with regard to all coilovers ride like a rock hard roller skate and are only for track day cars!

In fact some of the setup issues are because they are so compliant and allow a lot more wheel travel than stuff like the Bilsteins with much firmer dampers and springs which often don't make the car handle better as you just get bounced around and the tyres don't stay in contact with the road....

I wouldn't be massively worried I know of at least 5 people I can recall who had something like this on install
Hi, I've been away with work and my spanner was at home and now I'm home the kids are going nuts so I've not managed to get round to it😀
I've just been taking the speed bumps gentally, driving around the issue. Also the front occasionally catches, so definatly needs to come up a little. But ultimately they are a great upgrade. I love the handling and rides like a sorted OEM car.
Last night I was looking round a BMW garage. There was an 2018 M2 competition in burnt orange that looked amazing. From experience for road use it would be too firm, too noisy and too extreme. But a fantastic car, I'd like one as well as the Up!!!. I'd honestly say the Up isn't far from the sweet spot for road use and with the well developed upgrades it just gets better👍

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Do these look correct? I appreciate it’s not the best angle but best I could do from the driveway? There doesn’t seem to be much of a gap between the bump stop and the other black lower plastic piece?
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Water Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
964 Posts
Last summer when heading to North Devon I guy in a lowered M2 nearly rear ended me as it went from 2 lanes to one later on when we got on some really nice twisty stuff I was leaving him for dead whilst within the speed limit he would then do about 100mph on the next straight to just about catch me before the next bend 🤣

I could have easily broke the speed limit but didn't want or need to it was rather funny....

He ended up parking next to me at the beach car park it was lowered and carbon everywhere I thought oh fellow car nut we will have a chat he got out with his Mrs and completely blanked me 🙈.

I reckon his Mrs said I thought you said your car was fast and why can't you keep up with a shopping trolley.

It's one of the many things that makes me love the car and it's giant slaying abilities 🤠😎

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've just been and raised the front of mine by 4 turns. It's now a sloppy 2 fingers at the front and 2.5 fingers ar the back (with the original tires that are a slightly smaller dia than the PS5).
No noise, it's gone completely.
Looking at the photo of the dust cover. With my dust cover fully down, the top of my spring seat is nearly touching it, maybe 2 threads visible.
Hope this helps.

Nice story about the M2, I think they would take a fair amount of skill to drive fast😀

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I've just been and raised the front of mine by 4 turns. It's now a sloppy 2 fingers at the front and 2.5 fingers ar the back (with the original tires that are a slightly smaller dia than the PS5).
No noise, it's gone completely.
Looking at the photo of the dust cover. With my dust cover fully down, the top of my spring seat is nearly touching it, maybe 2 threads visible.
Hope this helps.
I don't suppose you could take a picture of this could you? Just so I can show something to my mechanic :)

81 - 100 of 167 Posts