Up Owners Club banner
121 - 140 of 211 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Ill have to try to get in there somehow and take a photo, I went against what I said and Ive dropped the fonts by 2 turns 咯 - its easy enough to raise back up again if needed

Registered
Yeah the fronts are something a small child could do I don't think you can buy anything better for a daily driver to be honest!

If it was for a track day car then maybe KW V3's but then you would need a stage 3 with hybrid turbo to not feel like a slug on track

Registered
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Honestly I loved the car even before I had them fitted but now I love them even more. Had a little run out again tonight after dropping it 2 turns, a few bumps here and there so maybe back up another one.

Apart from that though, the car itself is just an excellent car to own, something that quite honestly, if my situation ever allows for it, Id probably buy something a little fruitier as a weekend car.

Next things for me now are spacers, PS5s, breather mods, exhaust and then a stage 1 - sounds like the perfect little car to me

Registered
I've had a couple drinks....

Spacers are worthwhile rears need to be 5mm bigger each side on the rear and don't go too big on the front as it can't really mess with the geometry!

Best value breathing modification is the racingline turbo elbow and panel filter the induction kits don't really bring anything to the party and the forge one looks pants to me oem+ is much more appealing.

Dump valve does nothing other than plumb in something that's not needed and make you sound like 17 year old chav.

The exhaust is also a waste of money and often drives people mad they start pulling out rear seats and laying miles of sound deadening etc little to no gains.

Stage 1 is great don't believe JBS are the only ones capable of mapping these cars as often claimed we went with APR and that was nearly 2 years ago and it's been brilliant!

If I was to do anything else it would be a sports cat downpipe and a hybrid turbo but with the standard exhaust so it doesn't sound like it's been straight piped.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Ive gone with 15mm for the rears, figured this would give me good Fitment when sizing up on the tires.
Also I definitely fancy myself the cobra resonated catback and Racingline OEM+ map after hearing @wigits sound clips.

Breather mods that you mentioned are also on the list, cannot bring myself to fork out the silly money Racingline want for the intake. Elbow and panel are more than enough.

Registered
Up gti
That's odd, I had that exact thing happen as far as I can remember and it was only when the shocks were set too low, we tried to tighten the top mount bolt and nothing worked, he eventually listened then raised it slightly. I'm lost because it does not seem all that low like.....
Honestly I loved the car even before I had them fitted but now I love them even more. Had a little run out again tonight after dropping it 2 turns, a few bumps here and there so maybe back up another one.

Apart from that though, the car itself is just an excellent car to own, something that quite honestly, if my situation ever allows for it, Id probably buy something a little fruitier as a weekend car.

Next things for me now are spacers, PS5s, breather mods, exhaust and then a stage 1 - sounds like the perfect little car to me
Get the stage one and Michelin's done mate, you will love it. I'm telling you I bet it needs raised a tiny bit more, mine was a clunk every now and then like I left a hammer in the boot or loose top nut.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
That's odd, I had that exact thing happen as far as I can remember and it was only when the shocks were set too low, we tried to tighten the top mount bolt and nothing worked, he eventually listened then raised it slightly. I'm lost because it does not seem all that low like.....

Get the stage one and Michelin's done mate, you will love it. I'm telling you I bet it needs raised a tiny bit more, mine was a clunk every now and then like I left a hammer in the boot or loose top nut.
I did go back down again by 2 full turns so I think that it must just be too low, maybe it doesnt look too bad as its still on the stock tyres? Maybe there is something else at play. Im going to keep adjusting over the weekend, its still booked for Tuesday to get looked at so if I cant full resolve it myself hopefully something will come of that.

Stage 1 and PS5s are definitely on the cards, I do think some of the noise Im experiencing is because of the Goodyears, not all but maybe 30% of it? Just need to save up some more pennies

Registered
If you do end up with the exhaust go for the carbon tip it looks stunning .

We have Michelin PS4 tyres as the 5's weren't even an option back then I've previously had Dunlop rt2's they were good as well but did crack a bit which is common with Dunlop's and the only area they didn't match the ps4's was wet traction.

The Michelin's do have a soft sidewall which strangely I found upset the balance a little on the coilovers and spent some time messing with tyre pressures ie they needed more or it felt a bit floppy.

PS5's get very well reviewed and seem more of the same with some added life expectancy something that they really didn't need going by our PS4's don't rule out the Goodyear eagle F1 6 if my Michelin's ever wear out I think I will try a set as they match or better the Michelin in most areas but are a touch firmer which is the one thing I preferred with the Dunlop's.

Registered
I also need to save some pennies before any more bits - probably best! All being well in a couple of years (warranty) I fancy a trip to JBS.

What do people think regarding stage 3? I know it's a lot less bang for your buck than stage 1, but I would be concerned about reliability (not really based on anything). The power sounds amazing!

Registered
Up gti
I also need to save some pennies before any more bits - probably best! All being well in a couple of years (warranty) I fancy a trip to JBS.

What do people think regarding stage 3? I know it's a lot less bang for your buck than stage 1, but I would be concerned about reliability (not really based on anything). The power sounds amazing!
I have always wanted to do a stage three, reason being I bought an up not because I'm poor in relative terms lol, but I wanted something that could afront some bigger cars and have good fuel mileage. Thing is, with a stage three it would almost be same as a stock GTi, I would love to see peoples jaws drop but I don't want to see the gearbox all over the road lol.

Registered
Stage one is great fun! several cars running stage 3 they cap the torque so they seem fine with the power and it comes in later so not as stressful on the gearbox or engine rods etc....

The JBS car was driven very hard and still lives on the thing is stage 3 people go downpipe and exhaust and to me the car loses its subtle character and that no way is that thing that quick from the factory without giving the game away!

The main restriction is the downpipe not the exhaust but even JBS insinuated it had to be changed as well without ever testing it milltek and bullx do a downpipe that mates to the stock exhaust.

It is a lot of money it would be crazy but I wouldn't be willing to turn what I consider a superb do it all car into something that drones and can't be a great motorway cruiser after all the biggest difference the coilovers make is how plush it is on motorways they breath as the speed rises an unexpected bonus

Registered
Great thoughts guys. I had assumed that you could have a stage 3 (and 2) with just a downpipe change. Everyone's different but for me I wouldn't want to go loud, so good point. :)

Registered
Any serious torque increase will reduce reliability of the entire drive train, if used much, and there is no point arguing that one, BUT the issues are 1) by how much in the real world, and 2) do you care, over the life of the car?

I suspect for a road car (which, unlike a track car, you can't be maxxing all the time) there will be all sorts of other reliability issues, or rust, or accidents that will make the car have only scrap value before a modest torque increase has any effect.

That being said, if you go to serious torque, you could get into potential sudden, catastrophic failures for parts of the drivetrain that could not have been easily upgraded. But even then, if you are keen, everything can be rebuilt or replaced.

It also depends if you want to keep the car for a long enough time such that any resale value is irrelevant....

I'm never going to mod my humble MPi (not much scope anyway) but the beauty of all Ups! is that they are sufficiently inexpensive to pop into the recycle bin after say, say 5 years, so mod as you see fit!

On the other hand, if you were keen to mod, say, a new M3, you'd seriously have to look at the effect on resale value when you wanted to sell it, or the cost of fixing it when you break it, and whether you really wanted to keep it long enough such that depreciating it to zero value was no big deal... For me, 瞿75k is way more than my ego is worth - I'd much rather have bought an Up GTi, and had fun uprating it, stage 3 or whatever, as the cost is relatively peanuts. And you really don't want a big thing like an M3 in West Cornwall, trust me!

Reactions: AT999

Registered
Great thoughts guys. I had assumed that you could have a stage 3 (and 2) with just a downpipe change. Everyone's different but for me I wouldn't want to go loud, so good point. :)
You can just have the downpipe but people are encouraged to change the rest and I think it's a load of rubbish if I ever go stage 3 I will be doing exactly that regardless of what they say it's my car and when it goes on the Dyno and makes .01 bhp less than a car with a full milltek non resonated and sounds like it's manifold gasket has blown 不 a downpipe will change the tone but I reckon the standard exhaust would make it more on the level of something like the standard car with a resonated scorpion.... Less is more

Registered
On a mk7 golf r i remember watching a video that demonstrated the volume change when just chaging the down pipe at stage 2. Sounded deeper / throatyer but not so much change in volume

121 - 140 of 211 Posts