Up Owners Club banner
141 - 160 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Getting very aware that I'm boring people with this thread now but I'm going to update anyway with my findings.

The initial garage setup was fine for 90% of the driving I was doing but the odd thump/thud/bang could be heard when hitting certain pot holes and cracks in the road as mentioned.

I went up by 3 turns which at first seemed to solve the issue so I pushed my luck a bit and dropped back 2 turns on the front. This resulted in the same conditions as above, fine for that vast majority of the time but still caused some banging and thumping noises.

I then went back up again to the previous 3 turn adjustment and that's still causing the noises. So I am kind of stumped.

When I had the car jacked up I had a good visual inspection of the suspension and the only things I noticed was that the top of the dust cover looked like it had some impacts on it which will be from the bumpstops. The other thing was the very bottom coil on the spring had some chipping where the first loop started. This could be just some stone chips or it could be from the springs compressing, who's to say.

The car drives absolutely fine so I have no concerns about safety, just an annoying noise, maybe one I need to live with.

The ONLY other thing I have found is that the perch allen screw on the driver side does not tighten fully, it's just endlessly spinning which is rather annoying but I've checked after a long drive and the perch hasn't moved at all, should be easy enough to get a replacement sorted via Autodoc you'd thing?

Just want to say a big thanks to @Mark.cup and @Emmetd - your input has honestly been invaluable to me. This is my first dive into the world of coilovers and you've both been fantastic at offering advice! Also thanks to everyone else who's inputted, looking forward to sharing further progress on the car but in terms of this issue I'm going to draw a line under it and let the garage inspect further on Tuesday.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't worry to much about the grup screw threads being stripped. The mechanic stripped one of mine too! I'll keep n eye on the position and if it does move then maybe ptfe tape might do the trick once I'm happy with the height😀

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Hi Frostiess, If the dust cap is still high then you need to get the dust cap pushed into the correct location. It maybe you have to twist it down with the threads.
Yeah I've tried but I can't seem to get it to go any further down, just can't seem to get my hands in there properly

·
Registered
97 Posts
It could be that the plastic has been caught on the damper body and been pushed over by the force of the car on it. Out of position and bottoming marks on it suggest this is the issue.
Get the mechanic to sort it on a ramp😀, hopefully an easy fix👍

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
No problem regarding what little help or advice offered.

Hopefully you will get this sorted I've just been out on a little drive a BMW 330d planting it just as I'm alongside on a very twisty dual carriage way.... I was only heading out for a posh meal with the Mrs 🙈 the next minute it's like I am going up the hill at Goodwood 😬 destroyed the BMW the handling and composure was unreal.

The other half says how the **** do you drive like that not as an insult just a bit gobsmacked at the cars capabilities I said the car just takes it in its stride and gives you so much confidence.

Probably not what you want to hear right now but just letting you know how special the car is on these coilovers!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Oh for sure that handling is absolutely great, it no longer feels like the car is going to roll over on itself and it's so much flatter in the twisties - a huge improvement.

I do find that it's quite bouncy on a fairly bumpy B road but I assume this is mainly just because of the short wheel base? One undulation in the road followed very shortly by another is a little bit like being on a bouncy castle. But if you say otherwise then I am definitely going to assume there is 100% something wrong with the fitment 😂 although I do fully expect that this is normal just given the length of the car.

My gut feeling is that it's just a combination of the dust cover maybe and the shitty tires that are causing the issue. The absolute best way I can describe it is if you imagine riding your push bike up a kerb at a decent speed but not lifting the front wheel whilst you do it. Instead you just bash straight into it, probably a shitty explanation but again, I'm 5 Elvis Juice' in. But that's the type of sound and feeling I can compare it to, a very harsh and abrupt clunk as the rim takes the brunt of the impact.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sounds painful mate I have severe OCD so things like that drive me mad... wider non eco tyres certainly help and yes a short wheelbase car is never going to smooth things out like 3 series BMW!

But there isn't much I would swap our car for and not many things that would get away from it down a b road no matter how much more power they had.

I'm sure you must have a fitment issue like you say something fouling/stuck etc

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Yeah it's frustrating, if it wasn't for that one single issue it would be perfect!

So happy with my choice to move away from the Golf though, in retrospect I should've made the swap last year when I joined this forum but, you live and learn.

·
Registered
Up gti
186 Posts
Don't be silly mate, ask away and if someone does not like it they can move on. Mate, I would not live with that noise as I have none and my car sits like this image I took today. I would bring it back to whoever installed as it should not thud at all :/.... It will get sorted I'm sure, my mechanic originally thought the top screw in the shock was loose on mine, wonder it it's something along those lines, god only knows .....
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah it's frustrating, if it wasn't for that one single issue it would be perfect!

So happy with my choice to move away from the Golf though, in retrospect I should've made the swap last year when I joined this forum but, you live and learn.
Keep the faith mate!
The ride on these coilovers is first class, forget the active suspension options on some cars, for me this is spot on - I recon it will be better than a passive mk7 gti on many roads, my dad has a mk7 gti. I see these coilovers are also available for BMWs @ Mark....be nice on a M2 - as part of the car collection🤣🤣🤣

Emmetd - I also had my name on a yaris GR list (flight of fancy more than anything else - insurance in case I didn't get on with the up). I'll not be going down that road now and unlike you I'm still on the original tires and original power...for now😀

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Don't be silly mate, ask away and if someone does not like it they can move on. Mate, I would not live with that noise as I have none and my car sits like this image I took today. I would bring it back to whoever installed as it should not thud at all :/.... It will get sorted I'm sure, my mechanic originally thought the top screw in the shock was loose on mine, wonder it it's something along those lines, god only knows ..... View attachment 8623
Yours sits really well, definitely going to have to do that large centre cap delete on mine as well. At first I kind of liked it but now I realise it just looks silly!

Yeah I will persevere with the garage and hopefully can get this thing sorted. Going to drop the ride height back down to where it started off at and leave it until Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Emmetd's car looks lower than ours overall but still appears to sit lower at the rear like ours in relation to the front and that should lighten the front end a bit and any impacts re potholes....

That's my theory anyway

·
Registered
Up gti
186 Posts
Emmetd's car looks lower than ours overall but still appears to sit lower at the rear like ours in relation to the front and that should lighten the front end a bit and any impacts re potholes....

That's my theory anyway
I actually tried to raise the rear as it's too low for me still, the position to do so is a right mare however and only got a few full turns, that said be a lot easier on a lift etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Annoyingly they do not fit. They came provided with some plastic spigot rings which do not allow enough clearance for the dust cap however I was assured by Awesome that they would do.

141 - 160 of 211 Posts