Up Owners Club banner
161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Maybe worth asking the guy with the Eibach spacers if the rears allow the use of the grease/dust cap if that is something you are bothered about I know some people are happy to leave them off.....

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
136 Posts
Maybe worth asking the guy with the Eibach spacers if the rears allow the use of the grease/dust cap if that is something you are bothered about I know some people are happy to leave them off.....
The Eibach spacers just slide onto the hub…
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Vehicle brake Automotive tire Bicycle part Locking hubs Rim

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wasn't sure but most others at 15mm and under won't go on with the dust cap so good information for anyone on the forum
Hi Mark.cup....Good reading and interesting....I'm bemused reading 4-5 pages of blogs re Coil-overs and spacers.

Are you guys fitting coil-overs because you know they're better as you've tested them back to back on the same B or C road say over a 5 mile distance with different types of corners,bumps,drops etc? Also,do you guys who know each other get a non-modded car to follow a modded car and visa-versa, preferably with a Go-Pro mounted and then swopped over.It would be interesting to actually see what the difference is for your own understanding as they're not cheap to buy,fit and then fettle the settings.Yes,lowering the car looks cool, but i cannot believe you guys do it for that reason. Spacers on the other hand can only do 1 thing...create more under-steer as they increase the rear track and in-turn give more rear grip which you don't need. You have to dial-in good front-end turn-in with this great little car! So important. The back will look after itself as it is! Don't widen the rear-end!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Final update on the knocking/clunking issue. Had the car back into the garage this morning and they had a good look around and listen and determined that everything was in order. They raised the car by 3 turns (I had put it back to where it started off) and they said this was an "80% improvement" not sure how they arrived at that figure but there we go.

They did also fit the original nut for the top mount which, call me crazy, but that does feel like it's made some difference. It's not transformed the car but it does feel like there is somewhat less knocky but honestly it could be entirely placebo.

It has to be said that the noise is only there very occasionally and for most of the journeys that I do, it can't be heard so I think I'm going to leave it there for this one.

Overall ride in the car is far better than standard, it looks much better and certainly handles a lot better in the twisties.

I've not had much chance to drive the car since getting it back but I did drop it down by 4 turns, @Silverado made me feel a bit self conscious that the front wasn't quite low enough ;).

My gut feeling is that the remainder of the noise I'm hearing is tyre noise so going to look into getting those changed over shortly.

Next on the list is certainly a stage 1, 15mm spacers for the rear are already on the way and maybe swapping out the wheels. I really like the idea of going 17x7 Motec Ultralights in black or silver but not sure if there'll be any fitment issues with those.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I fitted my coilovers for the better looks and handling. In terms of spacers it’s mainly just for the looks but also to widen the track slightly as well.

I don’t drive my car to the absolute limit every day so I doubt I’ll see much difference in rear end grip etc. The other thing for me as well is that I’m just one of those people that likes to tinker with their cars, it’s not always for a purpose other than my own amusement. Different strokes I guess.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hi Ascari I'm sure you must have seen my build thread.... All is explained in there I won't leave anything on the car that isn't an improvement!

The standard suspension is fine until you want to go lower but is very cheap and not really fit for a GTi.

My costs were £600 in total and a couple of beers money well spent for a car we will be keeping for at least 10 years.

I can tell you that a standard car would be off the road trying to corner at the speeds the Eibach Pro Street S car can manage.

I know all about a good front wheel drive chassis I have owned a Clio 182 Cup for 16 years from new it runs Yokohama AD08R tyres.....

Spacers have been proven by many people with racing pedigree to increase cornering stability and our car is way more than the some of its parts much to the disgust of many owners of bigger faster machinery.

I have 7.5mm spacers on the front if you go over 10mm it can be detrimental to the steering the front track of the car is 10mm narrower than the rear so my spacers have balanced that out....

Initially I was disgusted with the arch gap and how tucked in the wheels were but this isn't some vanity project as eluded to in my personal project thread.

You can tell me all you like that my car should understeer like a pig and be rubbish for fitting higher quality components but I tend to value my own opinion from the actual driving of the car.

But I can assure you if the car wasn't better than when I started the parts would be removed and sold if needed as proven by my initial stint on lowering springs 👍

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Frostiesss my initial response was going to be I doubt it's tyre related... But then I thought how do I know my standard tyres were on the car for about 5 minutes 🙈🤣.

I still think it's most likely suspension related I raised mine 3 turns several times and like you say sometimes it's fine on 99% of roads but I'm 100% or nothing but that's my own issue 😬.

I still say they look better when not too low anybody who isn't a petrolhead would think our car came like it is from factory and that's exactly what I wanted.

Those wheels were something I looked at and very nice please don't go black 🤢.

I reckon silver would look good 😎

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Frostiesss my initial response was going to be I doubt it's tyre related... But then I thought how do I know my standard tyres were on the car for about 5 minutes 🙈🤣.

I still think it's most likely suspension related I raised mine 3 turns several times and like you say sometimes it's fine on 99% of roads but I'm 100% or nothing but that's my own issue 😬.

I still say they look better when not too low anybody who isn't a petrolhead would think our car came like it is from factory and that's exactly what I wanted.

Those wheels were something I looked at and very nice please don't go black 🤢.

I reckon silver would look good 😎
I just raised the pressures a bit from 30 front and 28 rear to 34 front and 32 rear, this has maybe helped a tiny bit but I've not done a proper test so can't say for sure. But initial impressions were maybe a bit less noise.

Tbh looking at the car now I think I would like it a bit lower both front and rear so going to drop another turn or 2 at the front and then find some way to tackle the rear.

But yeah definitely thinking silver this time around, not sure if I might need a spacer with them though as they, they have an offset of 42? Not sure if that would fit or not?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Ascari I'm sure you must have seen my build thread.... All is explained in there I won't leave anything on the car that isn't an improvement!

The standard suspension is fine until you want to go lower but is very cheap and not really fit for a GTi.

My costs were £600 in total and a couple of beers money well spent for a car we will be keeping for at least 10 years.

I can tell you that a standard car would be off the road trying to corner at the speeds the Eibach Pro Street S car can manage.

I know all about a good front wheel drive chassis I have owned a Clio 182 Cup for 16 years from new it runs Yokohama AD08R tyres.....

Spacers have been proven by many people with racing pedigree to increase cornering stability and our car is way more than the some of its parts much to the disgust of many owners of bigger faster machinery.

I have 7.5mm spacers on the front if you go over 10mm it can be detrimental to the steering the front track of the car is 10mm narrower than the rear so my spacers have balanced that out....

Initially I was disgusted with the arch gap and how tucked in the wheels were but this isn't some vanity project as eluded to in my personal project thread.

You can tell me all you like that my car should understeer like a pig and be rubbish for fitting higher quality components but I tend to value my own opinion from the actual driving of the car.

But I can assure you if the car wasn't better than when I started the parts would be removed and sold if needed as proven by my initial stint on lowering springs 👍
Hi, agreed, the limits of these coilovers seems very high indeed - honestly perhaps not for everyone as the limits are so high - b4 rear shocks may suit many as a cost effective modification.
I thought the cars turn in was good before, but now it's unbelievable.The more they settle the better they seem for both ride and handling. I'm still learning!
As for spacers, I'm still thinking it through👍

·
Registered
95 Posts

Hi again Mark.cup....Yeah ok totally understood. Different thinking i guess. Front spacers will cut under-steer too. Again i wouldn't fit, but a bigger track=more grip for sure. I like the rear-end standard as it moves around which gives a far better front-end turn-in. Lowering doesn't appeal either and i don't want to carry passengers in the rear so could easily do. Great little car! Such fun! 😁

161 - 180 of 211 Posts