Up Owners Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of replacements for bulging sidewalls on the efficientgrips I changed to some Michelin Crossclimate 2's yesterday. (I do quite a few trips up north and the Midlands)
I opted for 215 45 17's to try and lessen the harshness on the front suspension and since I got stopped recently for being a little too brisk down the A3, I am planning to drive with a little less enthusiasm for a while.
I have to say I am happy with the result having straight away done a trip up to Birmingham. Upsides are a softer and more compliant ride, much quieter, even the concrete bit between J10 and J11 on the M25 was nice. They fill the arches very nicely and do clear the struts, (Something I was a bit concerned about) Only downside so far is on the very abrupt speed humps it does skim the little arch extension screws coming down from them. I will adjust my speed to suit.
On the last one I switched to 205 40 17's and it was an improvement but that was on Vredsteins. That was also a noticeable improvement.
The speedometer does now over read by 3mph but as long as I am aware of that it is not an issue for me. Also at 70mph the rev counter now reads around 2700 which is slightly lower than before.
Obviously I have not explored the limits of traction but I thought this might be useful for those who are fed up with the fragility feeling caused by the Goodyears, the bulging sidewalls and the poor grip in the wet. It does look a little more Tonka Toy with the bigger wheels but I kinda like that. I may have a little less acceleration to 60 but I am enjoying getting there a little more than I was before.
I have to say as an aside that the car is now 18 months old, has just been for its' 30k service and the rear Goodyears were still 6mm tread. They do last if you drive on perfect roads, Shame they are so nasty in other respects.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think your speedometer will ‘under-read’ and not ‘over-read’ like you said, i.e the speed displayed will be under the real speed.

Changing from standard 195/40R17 to 215/45R17 is a relatively big change in wheel circumference of +6.5%, so even if the speed was reading a few % higher than real on the original it will now be reading under the real speed.

For comparison changing to 205/40R17 (as is popular and I have done) is only a change of around +1.5%.

·
Registered
2014 High Up!, 75hp,Black
85 Posts
so yours also voids your insurance then ????

·
Registered
653 Posts
No. Why do people struggle to understand this ?
An underreading speedo is a breach of the construction and use regs. Manufacturers build in a margin to avoid any risk of being sued by drivers. The margin is usually around 2 to 3 mph at 30 to 60 mph. With a very slight circumference increase you will still be traveling slower than the speedo indicates, so not in breach. But the OP (by his own GPS measurements) is traveling faster than the speedo indicates, so in breach.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
True, but I expect nothing bad will happen! Just don't rely on the speedo where there are speed cameras :)

·
Registered
2014 High Up!, 75hp,Black
85 Posts
type approval insists on Manufacturers original tyre size.

so your sweeping statement is wrong then ???

Ha ha

Reactions: macp

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been using the speedo on the satnav which is pretty accurate. I believe it is an improvement in safety if you don't have to concentrate on the road surface just ahead as much as reading the road over a greater distance, especially in the dark.
I believe, (and it is only my belief) that fitting tyres that are prone to sidewall damage is and a poor choice by VW and it plays out in the replacements that I have had to endure due to the poor conditions. I have never had to replace a tyre on any other car as a result of road conditions. Anyway, we are some time and a couple of thousand miles on the Michelins now, they have bedded in nicely and I am happy with them. Remains to be seen how good they are regarding wear rate but initial reports appear to be favourable. They are however, quieter and provide a much less jarring ride quality over the Goodyears.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are you running 215s on the original 6.5J rims? I assume a tyre dealer/fitter didn't recommend that fitment. Must have loads of overlap.Needs a 7-7.5J for that size.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Ascari, they fit well and look fine, there is a little more but it is not excessive and the tyre fitter did say all was good with it. No problems so far and we have quite a few miles done now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes Ascari, they fit well and look fine, there is a little more but it is not excessive and the tyre fitter did say all was good with it. No problems so far and we have quite a few miles done now.
Listensqueak Hi...I'm glad all is good then.With respect the tyre fitter cannot be too brilliant with tyre sizes/ wheel-J sizes as 215 needs to go on a 7-7.5 defo!!! 6.5J is correct for a 195-40/17. 205-40-45//17 needs a 7J. All i can say is I've spent years of my life testing tyres both on and off Track for a living with all Manufacturers so i have some idea re this! The BTMA which offers advice in the UK on tyre size/wheel width i can assure you would not approve of this fitment.Ditto good tyre installers like Micheldever Tyre services/Pro-Tyre.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Agree with Ascari. You'll also lose some of the dynamism going to a 215 over the standard 195, as the tyre will roll on the rim for a millisecond before you change direction when steering.
In the classic Lotus world, many, many people have thought that going wider will add more grip. The standard tyre on the early S1 & S2 Elans was 145/80/13. Later cars and Sprints went to 155/80/13. I've lost count of the folks that have gone to 165/70 and even 175/70 and completely lost what the Elan is famed for - the handling dynamics. Many of these guys soon went back to the tyre that the car came with.
I fully support that the Goodyear 195 x 40 x 17's are crap, but I also think that the (lovely) 17" Oswalds were a flawed choice. They are too heavy, and too shallow a profile to give a more acceptable ride.
A better choice would have been a 16" Oswald pattern wheel with a 45 or 50 profile, or maybe a completely different style in 16" to get some of that unsprung weight reduced.
Only my opinion, I love the Oswald wheel's looks, but not the weight / tyre profile combination.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agree with Ascari. You'll also lose some of the dynamism going to a 215 over the standard 195, as the tyre will roll on the rim for a millisecond before you change direction when steering.
In the classic Lotus world, many, many people have thought that going wider will add more grip. The standard tyre on the early S1 & S2 Elans was 145/80/13. Later cars and Sprints went to 155/80/13. I've lost count of the folks that have gone to 165/70 and even 175/70 and completely lost what the Elan is famed for - the handling dynamics. Many of these guys soon went back to the tyre that the car came with.
I fully support that the Goodyear 195 x 40 x 17's are crap, but I also think that the (lovely) 17" Oswalds were a flawed choice. They are too heavy, and too shallow a profile to give a more acceptable ride.
A better choice would have been a 16" Oswald pattern wheel with a 45 or 50 profile, or maybe a completely different style in 16" to get some of that unsprung weight reduced.
Only my opinion, I love the Oswald wheel's looks, but not the weight / tyre profile combination.
Glad to see a sensible opinion. Agree re Lotus too. The Early Elans handled correctly on the small size rubber.Jim Clark was offered wider rubber by Colin Chapman on his gifted car but refused the offer. I know this first-hand as i raced a Lotus 41 F3 car in the late 60s. Agree with you too re the Goodyear but it's ok! If Mich did a PS5 in 195 i would fit, but i too won't go over 195 as it's perfect for the 6.5J rim.The VW group do not make mistakes with their wheel to tyre sizes! I have worked with their road-tyre engineers many times on Track and everything is calculated correctly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A 215 tyre is the maximum width permitted on a 6.5" wheel.
Sorry! But you're totally wrong! I don't know where your info is coming from but it's incorrect. A 215 looks ridiculous on a 6.5J too. A 7.5J is correct and even a 7J is pushing it. With a 215 on a 6.5J on the road the tyre wall rolls-over and the contact-patch is compromised even if you put mega-pressure in. Only in the UK can you legally fit a bigger wheel and tyre combo for your MOT, as they don't like to enforce the correct factory technical homologation sheet as too much hassle for DVLA and the Police to control. The manufactures are totally against this lack of control i can assure you. Here in Spain and the rest of Europe they do control it we have to stick to the factory's original technical homologation of a particular vehicle otherwise fines are handed out on the road by Police and you will fail your MOT when due.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.