Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I note there are a few on here from the large island.
Attended the Motor show on Saturday, not a lot to see.
I was however completely taken in by the cute little Up!
Can't explain what it is, but I'm in the biggest mind set to trade my 95 model Mercedes saloon for this cute cheeky little run about.

I love the old bugs, Herbie. And to me this car rings as the new Herbie, despite the jaded association.

Despite my rambling, The options list has me slightly baffled. Understandably, the UK options are different, but the cruise control with the different MFD screen is the same.
Does anyone have one of these screens, and is the information any different to what the M&M displays?
As the reverse sensors are a separate option anyway, it makes me toss up the factor of getting cruise.

It's a small additional cost, but does make the car more $$.

Have to wait for the auto, due to wife, so perhaps there's an auto GT in the making...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi and welcome.

The MFD screen displays exactly the same stuff as the M&M so if you have M&M, it's not worth getting it. I have them both, the MFD only because as you said - that package has the cruise control (which I love!).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that ZillUp.

I suppose it then becomes a factor of whether I do get the "Comfort Drive Package" as they call it down here, which is cruise, the different display and rear park sensors.

Not that we do long trips often, but it would make the trip a bit easier.

I plan to hire an Up! when they become available for a week to see what one is like to live with, so should give an idea.

Has anyone taken their Up! on a really good long drive? I'm talking anything beyond 2 hours?
If so, how would you rate the comfort of the seats? The driving position did not seem too bad at all.

I'd definitely be importing a Skoda/ Seat armrest.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Likewise, bought the cruise and sensors and mfd came with it...I find the mfd useful asm&m shows media (sd card) with time and temp , I leave the mfd on consumption and therefore have that avail at a glance

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Ps...welcome to the forum, I changed a 2007 Mercedes estate for the up and don't regret it for a minute

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Privatedoc, good to get another perspective on a 'downgrade'.

Had many cars, all shapes and sizes in my time, but never bought a brand newy, so a bit more hesitant this time.

I wish some of the UK options we would get down here, perhaps mid next year when we get the auto, we may also get those options.

Interior options are rather lacking.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Hi and welcome, I had a vw golf 4 tdi sold that and bought an up! no regerts.
I was worried bout the little one letre engine compared to the golf's 1.9 turbo diesel.
I and my wife had been on many a long drive(road trip) and find the seats are very comfortable.
road handling is good to.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The seats are very good in my opinion. I have a damaged body which needs looking after and I did a trip of a couple of hours and managed it quite well, but I did stop a couple of times. The seat are supportive and firm which is what I like.

A great aspect of the drive is the excellent suspension. The car can cope with rough roads without crashing about, but isolating much of the vibration from the seats. (Cobbled road, Dent village Cumbriahttp://www.visitcumbria.com/sl/dent.htm ).

The only down side is that being a small car, there is rather more noise than I experience in my bmw.

Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the input.

Yeah, it will be a definite change from the Mercedes.
Driving the wifes FTO and then driving the Mercedes afterwards makes me appreciate the quietness.
Having said that, I would think the up! to be in the middle of both of those, so shouldn't be too bad.

I think I will hold out and try the GT as I don't want to pass on a possibly great pocket rocket, but part of me is thinking, do I really want a toy like that at my age? Haha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

I got my Up! last night, Lovely little car. M&M is on back order with my floor mats but hey you get that sometimes.

Hopefully the Up! takes off in Aust

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey WGN WERKS

Grats on the purchase, rather jealous myself.

Did you buy a demonstrator or brand new?

I too am hoping the up! takes off.

Did you simply buy a basic spec with M&M and options mats?
Post up a pic of it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Astron Boy said:
Hey WGN WERKS

Grats on the purchase, rather jealous myself.

Did you buy a demonstrator or brand new?

I too am hoping the up! takes off.

Did you simply buy a basic spec with M&M and options mats?
Post up a pic of it!
Thanks

Got a brand new one. Yeah got a basic spec with the mats and maps. Plan to put some nice dished alloys, H&R springs and black vinyl roof.

Yeah I will upload some photos tonight

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan to black vinyl roof also. and perhaps some side strips, make it a bit sportier.

Dependent on the release date for the GT, I may simply opt for that and leave it bog stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts