Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the long 2 month wait, my new High Up arrived at last just over a week ago.

I can now fully understand the enthusiasm of the owners on this site. There is something special about this little car. This is best summed up on Day 3 when I came back to the Up parked in a shopping centre car park to see a middle aged man taking photos of the car and telling me how stunning it looked. Now there is something that has never happened to me before! I think the diminutive size brings an honest reaction with no jealousy involved.

So what are my first impressions of ownership?

<ul>[*]Despite thorough research, the trim level of the Irish High UP was even better than I expected. I hadn't realised I got city emergency stop and darkened glass as standard.[*]Its a beauty to look at and I'm thrilled with my colour choice.[*]A bright body colour dash makes a huge difference to the ambience of the car. The interior is super practical. I love the perfectly shaped iPhone shelf conveniently placed close to the charger point.[*]Lovely confident solid drive. The sports wheels are make for a lovely flat hard drive and overall handling is excellent.[*]The Maps and More unit makes a big difference to the driving experience. I love the way it integrates with my iPhone 5. Ability to read texts is a real wow feature. I'm tending to play Spotify via Bluetooth a lot. Only gripe is that the album graphics don't seem to come through from Spotify which is a pity.[*]Thanks to this forum, I ordered the Sound Pack and I'm really happy with my in-car sound as a result. Can't see myself bothering with a speaker upgrade.[*]It really is a Tardis. I'm a big enough guy and the things feels really roomy. [/list]Dislikes

<ul>[*]Not a major problem but I had the embarrassment of falsely reporting to the garage that my exterior mirrors weren't heating. Dooh moment was when he explained the mirror adjust switch needs to be rotated to the top (yes I know I should have spotted the wavy lines
)[*]I'm finding it difficult to get used to finding reverse to the right and down.[/list]
Problems others have reported
<ul>[*]Noise level is as expected for the size of the car and I'm perfectly OK with it. No way will I bother fitting sound proofing which I had considered.[*]Missing out on the 2-switch electric windows on the drivers side by a few production weeks doesn't really bother me. Mildly inconvenient at most.[*]As winter approaches, the lack of a boot light is penny pinching madness. However following the good advice from other posters, I have just ordered the Phillips Spoton automatic LED lights from Amazon.[/list]

Edited by: DesB

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanx for your report!

Yes, men between 40 and 70 seem to love the up! with our interior!
The red dash, red leatherette plus light beige seats look very "Italian upper class".

I can asure you that the red dash will still make you smile after 5 month and more!

On my black up! the difference is even bigger.
I see you have the black roof lining (as you have the sports pack). But your black fits perfect to the black "upper dash" and the black door plastics!

From CW45 on up!s will be built with two switch electric windows ...
Maybe your VW dealer can retrofit the unit in spring 2015? But don't ask me what it will cost ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andreas and really interesting to compare our cars. The black looks stunning too. I'm glad to hear the red dash appeal isn't short term.
I'm interested in whether anyone else here retro fits the two-switch electric window control, but only if it is low cost and low bother.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts