Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Up owners,

I’ve not picked up my GTI yet, but am doing so in the next couple of days. Deposit is paid and just awaiting part-ex and handover day. I’ve chucked a couple of pictures from Vertu Lincoln in below, and will add more once I’ve picked the car up.

She’s a 3 door in tornado red without that many options, but all I care about is how fun this little car is going to be to drive. I fell in love with the Up GTI when it was first announced and have been waiting for a cheapish second hand model to get my hands on. Now is the time.

I’m a long time BMW owner and am part ex’ing my third M135i (people think I’m mad, they don’t understand). I’ve owned a polo and a mk7 Golf GTI too, so am also no stranger to VAG. I’m also no stranger to a spanner so looking forward to doing some light modding.

A couple of questions as I’m not too up to speed with how strict VW are with their warranties; what I could get away with at BMW may not apply here, basically.

Ive seen a few posts and lots of comments about rattling (Fuel lines etc). In my experience VWs always rattle, both my previous ones had their overlookable but annoying rattles somewhere. So I’m conscious that a warranty issue may be on the cards, esp as the car has done 10k miles and has been used as a demo (never know how the garage has let them be treated).

Q1. Would a milltek exhaust completely invalidate warranty? With BMW if an issue on the car had nothing to do with an exhaust system, usually an aftermarket exhaust would cause no issues.

Q2. Unrelated. Anyone have experience with the Yokohama advan V701s and if so, are they any good?
They seem a good compromise between price and effectiveness. Dunlop’s look to be what most recommend, but are costing what Michelin PSS’s for my M135i fronts used to cost whereas the whole point of this car is cheap thrills!

Thanks, and looking forward to taking on board some of the knowledge on here, seems like a really knowledgable and friendly forum.
Ps, sorry for the essay.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Welcome.
Trading in an M135i, yes you are mad. :LOL:

Putting a cat-back exhaust on won't invalidate the warranty, only for that part obviously. As for the tyres i had Dunlops on my Gti and now have them on the MX5 so i would recommend them, great all-rounder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps, but bigger engine cars are just making less and less sense to me these days. Just bankrupting myself with tax, insurance and fuel. Besides I kinda just fancied a change.

Good to know on the exhaust front, thanks! On the tyres im still tempted to give the yokos a pop but perhaps I can rearrange the parts budget for the more expensive rubber unless anyone else recommends the advans in the meantime.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nice car, and welcome. I got my new one (5-door in white / black), back in June from Vertu Lincoln, a really good deal. I didn't order it, (they ordered it the previous January for stock), but it had exactly the extras I would have ordered , so perfect. They were great to deal with, and not averse to some strong haggling.
I'm not a Dunlop lover, every single Dunlop tyre I've had over the last 10 years or so, including a set on a 2015 High Up with 17" Polygon alloys), have had issues. I think the wear rate is poor, and most have had cracks in the tread from being only 8 months old. I took two back and they were replaced FOC, but the new ones did it too after a short time.
In my experience the grip wasn't that good too.
If you've had the Yoko's before and liked them, I'd go with them over the Dunlops any time.
N.B. this is just my personal experience.
I'm persevering with the original Goodyears, I've found dropping the pressure to 30 / 28 psi improves the grip and ride quality no end, and hasn't yet, after 5500 miles affected the wear pattern.
Having said that, I'm no fan of Goodyears either, my tyre of choice would alsways be a Continental or Michelin.
I'm sure you'll not be disappointed with the Gti, I think it's the bargain small sports hatch of this century.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Vertu were really good, didn’t pressure me but got the car from Lincoln to South Hereford in a few days. The car also had an armrest and parking sensors (I’m quickly realising I don’t need those).
The armrest doesn’t look VW official, has a weird brand that I’ve never heard of on it, but it’s sturdy enough and saves me money fitting one myself.

Pictures below after it’s first wash and wax. Gotta say I love this car, had second thoughts at first but, since slapping it round some country roads and feeling like a rally driver, that’s all changed. Picking up Milltek road+ tomorrow ready for fitting! Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S. not a fan of the good years, yokos going on straight after xmas!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I
Perhaps, but bigger engine cars are just making less and less sense to me these days. Just bankrupting myself with tax, insurance and fuel. Besides I kinda just fancied a change.

Good to know on the exhaust front, thanks! On the tyres im still tempted to give the yokos a pop but perhaps I can rearrange the parts budget for the more expensive rubber unless anyone else recommends the advans in the meantime.
I hear you, Im coming out of a Mini JCW auto fully loaded, dont use a car as much now Im working overseas again, UP Gti right down my street in all aspects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts