Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
After seeing one in a car park yesterday, it's a set of 3 self adhesive badges.
It looks crap.
Cheers for that.

I've had a look on eBay and the bladed item is £20. They must be a part body shops have access to and for a small fee, your friendly neighbourhood VW dealer would whack one on each side as part of the deal. Maybe it will grow on me by the time I get one. Or I shall just get one in red. I don't know why the change of font - or at least the change to that font - it looks like the one Chinese instruction booklet graphics are done in.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
"One other thing I'm concerned about is the distinct absence of sidewall around those Oswalds. Has anyone had any bad luck with them?"

Lots of people have. I haven't. I'm obviously careful when I park, and around potholes, AND I have my pressures set at 30/28psi, both for comfort, extra grip, and I'm convinced it makes them more puncture & blowout proof, although my priority for this pressure is ride comfort & grip.The standard Goodyears are crap, but they're way better at these lower pressures.

Re the badge. If you order one, tell them you want it with the old blade badges thrown in FOC and fitted. Their body shop will do it, I'm sure.

Reactions: VWXYZ

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh I see what you mean... that looks rubbish. Terrible, might look better on Red car? Seems lost on white.
It's definitely a bit of a stinker, but I can't see it ultimately affecting the decision. It might be one of those things that somehow grows on you. And it certainly gives you the opportunity to rearrange to say GIT if one was being childish.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"One other thing I'm concerned about is the distinct absence of sidewall around those Oswalds. Has anyone had any bad luck with them?"

Lots of people have. I haven't. I'm obviously careful when I park, and around potholes, AND I have my pressures set at 30/28psi, both for comfort, extra grip, and I'm convinced it makes them more puncture & blowout proof, although my priority for this pressure is ride comfort & grip.The standard Goodyears are crap, but they're way better at these lower pressures.

Re the badge. If you order one, tell them you want it with the old blade badges thrown in FOC and fitted. Their body shop will do it, I'm sure.
I'm sure by the time I buy, even if I prefer the blade one some man logic will set in where I will prefer the horrible version as it's synonymous with it being new! I think the calipers provide enough red in profile to warm up a silver, white or black still and until I see the new badge in the flesh I won't know how much red is on show there. I do wish they wouldn't muck about with stuff that doesn't need mucking about with...

·
Registered
155 Posts
After seeing one in a car park yesterday, it's a set of 3 self adhesive badges.
It looks crap.
This is strange as the brochure dated 3/12/2020 states that it has gti logo on the front wings and the picture shows the blade logo 🤔

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is strange as the brochure dated 3/12/2020 states that it has gti logo on the front wings and the picture shows the blade logo 🤔
Well, since one has been spotted in the wild, I'd say the lit was wrong. Seen plenty of instances of that with Ford, MINI and Merc over recent years so I don't see why VW would be the exception. Especially given their recent economising with regard to the actualité.

My MINI dealer seemed blissfully unaware of the recent headline power cut by around 18bhp to the Cooper S when I pointed out the error in an email they sent. Plus although the date on the brochure would have been early Dec, that would have all probably been worked on months ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, since one has been spotted in the wild, I'd say the lit was wrong. Seen plenty of instances of that with Ford, MINI and Merc over recent years so I don't see why VW would be the exception. Especially given their recent economising with regard to the actualité.

My MINI dealer seemed blissfully unaware of the recent headline power cut by around 18bhp to the Cooper S when I pointed out the error in an email they sent. Plus although the date on the brochure would have been early Dec, that would have all probably been worked on months ago.

Just checked actually and even MINI's website is quoting both BHP figures for the Cooper S during configuration - the old one at the start of the process and the new one in the overview. I also like how my supposed seamless e acute in my original message was in the wrong font. I'd just like to apologise as I can see how offensive that is.

I used to work for a publishing company and lots of things go awry in that business. Like any really. It's just you assume everything runs from clockwork from the outside. I remember we published a book for quite an esteemed body once and we didn't yet have the caption text for all the pictures, so we put things like "thin bloke shaking fat bloke's hand" in as placeholders until we got the actual text. You guessed it, they all got printed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hope they have changed the seats in the gti!!!!
The general verdict seems to be they haven't. On the face of it, from someone not even pedalled one yet, they are the only major down side to the little fella. But it might be something inconsequential when I drive one. I think I'm a bit hung up on how a seat looks these days - it just needs to do the job. I've lost three stone since the pandemic and now I rattle between the sides of my heavily bolstered Cooper S seats like a pinball, so it might not be a bad thing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
These seats look a bit different to me - this is taken from the configurator on vw site - could be just rendering though as not sure these are pictures of a physical car

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If they're a true reflection, the side bolsters are definitely more pronounced, which is some of what people have been clamouring for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If they're a true reflection, the side bolsters are definitely more pronounced, which is some of what people have been clamouring for.
I'm trying to look for any elements that are different to the original, rather than just shapes and angles that may have become distorted or exaggerated and there doesn't seem to be anything new, but it does definitely look a tad more "bolstery".

·
Registered
155 Posts
89F49CEE-C9C5-4FFF-82FE-51A508655A00.jpeg
These are the seats on mine that I got end of last month, not sure if they’re the same as the pic from the configurator or no. Looks to have more red stitching in mine. I expect they have made them more hugging and sporty though. Just my luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just think it's the generator and the way it's showing them makes the outers look like leather.... I'm happy to be proved wrong but I just don't see them changing the original seats

21 - 40 of 53 Posts