Up Owners Club banner

New up gti owner - my Initial thoughts

12K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  Mr Cholmondley-Warner 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I took delivery of my brand new 3 door up gti last week, what an amazing fun little car. I’ve never had so much fun driving so slowly!

I’ve come from a BMW M2 Competition so it goes without saying it’s obviously a lot slower... but my god it’s put a smile on my face.

My initial thoughts were “god I’m sat up high!” And, “what, no steering rake?!”.

I’m getting used to being overtaken by vans but still smiling and that Beats sound system is bloody good.

#2 ·
Hello. Glad you are pleased with your car. They are excellent cars.

I guess you have found out that the seat and steering wheel can move up and down.

I have always sat low down and far back in my previous cars, but in my UP GTI i prefer the seat at the highest setting and far back.

#3 ·
And, “what, no steering rake?!”.
It should have, but it could do with a 'reach' capability too, but......

The main thing for me is to get the wheel set in a comfy position versus the seat, but where you can actually see the speedo too! Although, in my mere 75PS car, seeing the speedo is not so crucial - it doesn't change very quickly!

#4 ·
Hi Tony

I'm new here! Very good to read your post. In fact, it made me join! I'm potentially climbing down the performance ladder a rung or two (although not by M2 Competition standards, but I'm tumbled down a few Teutonic cylinders before ending up in my current Cooper S) as it looks like I'll be doing far fewer miles. How do you find the seats themselves - I have Recaros in my 18 month old Cooper S and really like the bolstering whereas the Up GTI seats seem quite flat, and as other Ups bar the trim.

Oddly the performance isn't really something that bothers me. I have had 4 Cooper Esses on the bounce, the last two being brand newies and the 2.0 lump has plenty of oomph but isn't terribly hot hatch esque so I tend to just use the torque anyway. If the Up GTI needs to be worked harder then so be it - it's like the old MX-5 argument where it's lack of grunt just means you get to use more of your car's capability rather than spending your time restraining yourself in something much faster.

I noticed on the configurator last night that a few things have changed for MY2021 such as the red blade that houses the GTI logo on the front wing isn't there now, the characters just sit on the bodywork as they are, but they have moved back a bit and are now on the door. Also I'm not sure whether the seats have gained a little more bolstering or not.

Does anyone know of any more changes for the new year?

I've not driven one yet as I'm in at "at risk" group so pretty much keeping myself locked up like Rapunzel, but it's on my shortlist. Whatever I get has to be the same size as a current gen F56 MINI 3-dr and even a Fiesta ST is too wide for my garage, and whatever it is needs to have a element of grunt but not massively. So realistically, it's another new MINI, a new Up GTI, a new Abarth 595 Competizione, or a used MX-5 (of the previous NC generation).

#9 ·
I’ve had mine a month and the badges are on the wing and
Hi Tony

I'm new here! Very good to read your post. In fact, it made me join! I'm potentially climbing down the performance ladder a rung or two (although not by M2 Competition standards, but I'm tumbled down a few Teutonic cylinders before ending up in my current Cooper S) as it looks like I'll be doing far fewer miles. How do you find the seats themselves - I have Recaros in my 18 month old Cooper S and really like the bolstering whereas the Up GTI seats seem quite flat, and as other Ups bar the trim.

Oddly the performance isn't really something that bothers me. I have had 4 Cooper Esses on the bounce, the last two being brand newies and the 2.0 lump has plenty of oomph but isn't terribly hot hatch esque so I tend to just use the torque anyway. If the Up GTI needs to be worked harder then so be it - it's like the old MX-5 argument where it's lack of grunt just means you get to use more of your car's capability rather than spending your time restraining yourself in something much faster.

I noticed on the configurator last night that a few things have changed for MY2021 such as the red blade that houses the GTI logo on the front wing isn't there now, the characters just sit on the bodywork as they are, but they have moved back a bit and are now on the door. Also I'm not sure whether the seats have gained a little more bolstering or not.

Does anyone know of any more changes for the new year?

I've not driven one yet as I'm in at "at risk" group so pretty much keeping myself locked up like Rapunzel, but it's on my shortlist. Whatever I get has to be the same size as a current gen F56 MINI 3-dr and even a Fiesta ST is too wide for my garage, and whatever it is needs to have a element of grunt but not massively. So realistically, it's another new MINI, a new Up GTI, a new Abarth 595 Competizione, or a used MX-5 (of the previous NC generation).
I’ve had mine a month, the badge is on the wing with the red blade and the seats seem the same as my tsi high up I had before, they’re definitely not sport seats!
I’m thinking of changing tyres though as the stock ones are rock hard!

#5 ·
As far as I'm aware they cheaped out on the stickers instead of badges have added lane assist and slightly modified the engine with regard to emissions. The seats definitely won't have changed but it's one of the best cars you can buy for smiles per pound as far as I'm concerned!

#6 ·
Hello mr-cholmondley-warner,

I would 100% without any hesitation recommend the UP gti, it’s an amazing little sporty car, it makes every journey enjoyable. You’ll just smile all the time.

I had a brand new 2019 BMW M2 Competition DCT with the bigger optional brakes, fantastic car, A very serious car, you can’t play around. I just didn’t use it enough and I couldn’t justify the expense.

I always wanted an UP gti, I’ve had the first polo gti and then the Lupo gti, but this is so much better.

Honestly, if you test drive one you’ll buy one!

#20 ·
Hello mr-cholmondley-warner,

I would 100% without any hesitation recommend the UP gti, it’s an amazing little sporty car, it makes every journey enjoyable. You’ll just smile all the time.

I had a brand new 2019 BMW M2 Competition DCT with the bigger optional brakes, fantastic car, A very serious car, you can’t play around. I just didn’t use it enough and I couldn’t justify the expense.

I always wanted an UP gti, I’ve had the first polo gti and then the Lupo gti, but this is so much better.

Honestly, if you test drive one you’ll buy one!
Cheers for the feedback. I value anybody's opinion on a car, but you can't beat your own really. However, when it's someone in a similar, albeit much more pronounced boat, who is going from a higher performance car into one it means something. I think I would call it a warm hatch than a hot once, and I don't mean that as an insult as I think it works to its advantage. It does enough to be sporty but if it was too hardcore it would cost more and arguably be less capable tool.

Ultimately my next car has to be as narrow as a Cooper S F56, hit 60 in under 9s, and not be chronic. But more than anything it has to be cheap on a PCP or lease. If MINI come up with the goods on a Cooper S, especially given my current lump is going to be way under mileage this time when it goes back, then they get it. A Cooper is objectively - on paper and spec wise - a better car than the Up, but I don't think I'll do myself any favours getting the same car I used to have but a good deal slower. I think an Up probably wears its performance better and feels like you're going faster than you are, and it has the sound actuator thing going on.

There are some spectacular figures on Abarth 595 Competiziones, but I don't really like the idea of them. They also lack a far degree of kit and it's a very old car underneath. But in terms of bang for buck, they are great.

My concern with the Up, especially when I spec it up how I want it (Tungsten Silver, cruise and park pack - which sounds iffy if ever an option did, and something else I can't remember), with 10,000mpa over three years it's north of £300 a month (on any lease site I look at) which defeats the object of having the **** thing. The only good thing is that of all the cars on my list, the Up! is the only one drivethedeal can help with, and I know they are pretty capable of working a miracle or two (especially as I can approx 48 month PCP it and VT at 36 just for when the warranty turns into a pumpkin).

I'm not going to speculatively waste their time until I've driven one, and know that MINI aren't going to have a game of trying to rip me off.

The Abarth is the car I like the least, but that's not to say I hate it as it's on my shortlist and performance microscopic cars are thin on the ground, but I'm well aware of its deficiencies. But it does tick the most important boxes I have, and there are cheap deals popping up all the time.

At the right price, I'm fairly convinced the Up GTI and I are made for one another. I had a two year old cash bought BM 535d from new in 2006 when I declared I was getting a 2004 used Cooper S as I needed some pennies and everyone thought I was having some sort of a breakdown. This is much less of a descent!

I've done 700 miles in 9 months when I would typically do 11,000 purely commuting miles and it's just changed my outlook on what I'm prepared to pay for a car - even for when I start doing it again. Three years down the road I might decide it was a bad plan, but I'll take that risk.

One other thing I'm concerned about is the distinct absence of sidewall around those Oswalds. Has anyone had any bad luck with them?

#14 ·
I've seen that on the configurator (although I think they are 3d letters like on the boot not stickers) and the seats do look different too. Mine is a 70 plate with lane assist and later emission changes so think there are some subtle tweaks coming very soon. I couldn't see any other differences from the pictures / spec.

#10 ·
I can highly recommend Dunlop RT2's in a 205/40/17!
I went out with a friend yesterday and he was gobsmacked by the way the car holds the road in cold and damp conditions.

Had them on since new and rotated the fronts to the rear at 2 years probably looking at maybe 4 years motoring out of the set and they aren't overly expensive. I've not tried the Michelin PS4 but they get rave reviews and we may try a set when the time comes.

#11 ·
I spoke to the guy that is fixing my kerbed wheel about 205 wheels and he said not to as it affects the gearing??? I have no idea about the mechanical aspect of the car so not sure what he meant??
I just want a softer ride and a tyre that has more protection from kerbs!!

#16 ·
The gearing regarding 205/40/17's is literally nothing all cars are not bang on accurate that's why the police allow 10% plus a couple mph. At 70 on the Speedo it's about 3mph out against GPS. I did the calculations online and I think at the cars top speed it would affect the Speedo reading by about 1.7 or 2.7mph.

The ride, handling and much better rim protection make it the 1st thing I would do all over again for sure

#19 ·
After seeing one in a car park yesterday, it's a set of 3 self adhesive badges.
It looks crap.

#21 ·
Cheers for that.

I've had a look on eBay and the bladed item is £20. They must be a part body shops have access to and for a small fee, your friendly neighbourhood VW dealer would whack one on each side as part of the deal. Maybe it will grow on me by the time I get one. Or I shall just get one in red. I don't know why the change of font - or at least the change to that font - it looks like the one Chinese instruction booklet graphics are done in.

#22 ·
"One other thing I'm concerned about is the distinct absence of sidewall around those Oswalds. Has anyone had any bad luck with them?"

Lots of people have. I haven't. I'm obviously careful when I park, and around potholes, AND I have my pressures set at 30/28psi, both for comfort, extra grip, and I'm convinced it makes them more puncture & blowout proof, although my priority for this pressure is ride comfort & grip.The standard Goodyears are crap, but they're way better at these lower pressures.

Re the badge. If you order one, tell them you want it with the old blade badges thrown in FOC and fitted. Their body shop will do it, I'm sure.

Reactions: VWXYZ
#26 ·
"One other thing I'm concerned about is the distinct absence of sidewall around those Oswalds. Has anyone had any bad luck with them?"

Lots of people have. I haven't. I'm obviously careful when I park, and around potholes, AND I have my pressures set at 30/28psi, both for comfort, extra grip, and I'm convinced it makes them more puncture & blowout proof, although my priority for this pressure is ride comfort & grip.The standard Goodyears are crap, but they're way better at these lower pressures.

Re the badge. If you order one, tell them you want it with the old blade badges thrown in FOC and fitted. Their body shop will do it, I'm sure.
I'm sure by the time I buy, even if I prefer the blade one some man logic will set in where I will prefer the horrible version as it's synonymous with it being new! I think the calipers provide enough red in profile to warm up a silver, white or black still and until I see the new badge in the flesh I won't know how much red is on show there. I do wish they wouldn't muck about with stuff that doesn't need mucking about with...

#33 ·
The general verdict seems to be they haven't. On the face of it, from someone not even pedalled one yet, they are the only major down side to the little fella. But it might be something inconsequential when I drive one. I think I'm a bit hung up on how a seat looks these days - it just needs to do the job. I've lost three stone since the pandemic and now I rattle between the sides of my heavily bolstered Cooper S seats like a pinball, so it might not be a bad thing!

#35 ·
If they're a true reflection, the side bolsters are definitely more pronounced, which is some of what people have been clamouring for.

#46 ·
After having my GTI for a month I love it, however if I had to make a comment it would be the seats! Altho they have the tarten pattern and don't look too bad they are not particularly sporty and don't have much bolster support. That being said I don't find them uncomfortable. The Mrs seats in her fabia Monte Carlo are better!

#52 ·
The car is so small and easy to place that damaging the alloys comes down to a lack / loss of concentration issue.

(Fingers crossed) I’ve had no issues in 10 months of driving.

P.S. - I’m also one of those drivers stepping into the GTi after a string of very expensive machinery. It’s a bit of fun while I wait for the price of the Macca 570GT to fall a bit more... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.