Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I picked the New Car up from N.I. on Monday this week, It was Reg'd in Aug '19 & Had 14 Miles on Clock. Since driving It back It's been Solid & Great Fun.
It's done 600 Miles with me this week & I jumped in the car this afternoon and noticed an odd Vibrating Sound when on Low Rev's (1500/2000) Rev's. When I come off the throttle It makes a weird buzzing Sound and was immediately noticeable.

I've heard others saying It's the Fuel Line, Have many of you GTI Owners experienced the same issues and what were your experiences getting It resolved?

I'm going to take It in Monday for them to have a look at it.

It's just a bit un-nerving hearing something wrong with it when It's not even a week old. Of course It's within warranty etc but would put my mind at ease If others could share their experience on it!

Video of the noise above.

Many Thanks!

·
Banned
645 Posts
No ive experienced no strange noises from my March 19, Gti.
The car still remains noise and rattle free.as it has done from picking it up on March 30th, and its only covered 2375 miles.
Any concerns with a new vehicle, go straight back to the main dealer, or if the dealership you bought it from is a long way from home, a VW dealership closer to home.

Its probably nothing to worry about, but a new pre registered car, even one that's been sitting around on a forecourt for several months, should be as tight as a nut, factory fresh.

As you say, it only had 14miles on its clock, so the car has not been anywhere, to develop any issues

Get it checked, for peace of mind.

·
Banned
645 Posts
Woops posted it twice, Sorry folks.
A brand new delivery mileage UP Gti, should have no teething issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My has done it from new and at 3000 miles I haven’t got round to really looking at it. I think it’s the fuel pipes as mine is worse with a full tank of fuel extra weight could make a difference. As its only really noticeable at low revs when pulling away make sure I keep the revs in the 3-5k mark which gets me places quicker and makes me smile more.

·
Registered
791 Posts
No such creaks or vibration on mine, now done nearly 6000 miles and delivered late June from new

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Take it into a dealer asap and don't mess with it yourself, if they see you've been messing then say goodbye to any warranty claim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi from France, mine had this kind of sound too... i really dont heard well in your video, but that's surely the same sound ( when I take off the trottle pedal, there is a vibration when the engine speed just goes to 2000 rpm )

loos like the buzz come from the left side ?? , but that's not clear... one day i just clap a bit everywhere on the right door ( 3 doors ) and the sound desapeared immediately

Curious to read what VW will answer you.

Sorry for my english ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine got the same problem.
The resonance noise comes from the right side.
The dealership has tried to fix it three times, but the noise is still there. Last time I thought it was fixed, but when I refueled the noise was back.
I have been experimenting with the amount of fuel, but I cannot find an exact correlation.
Mine has 17000 km.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, I actually joined this forum because my new 19 plate gti formed this noise after barely 300 miles,

My noise occured just as you have explained, Low revs and between 1700rpm and 2000rpm and it is noticeable in multiple gears at low speed.
I took mine back to the dealer immediately and explained to them the problem and the rev range that shows the problem,
I then got given it back and they said they heard no such problem and that its nothing...
This really ticked me off so i went on my dashcam footage and watched their diagnostic process, they took my car out, wacked it up and down the road at 40mph???? then reparked it and that was it.

I then decided id put up with it for a little as i was so irritated by the Volkswagen Dealerships response.
I then went back to the dealership and was made to sit in the car and "replicate" the noise i hear with the mechanic, conveniently he couldnt hear it,

I then went back a third time and threw my weight about a bit (unacceptable treatment of a new VW purchase from a repeat customer) until i was listened to by the service manager,

They took my instructions seriously now and they replicated the noise and it was apparently the fuel line,
They took off the bottom scuff plate of the car and installed foam all around it to prevent it rattling against the chassis,
Since then i have not heard the noise at all and i did receive a partial apology from the VW dealer,

Interestingly they had wiped my dashcam SD card on that visit and when i asked why they said that "some choice words were said in earshot of the camera and they were not appropriate for me to hear"

Shame for them because ill never purchase from them again and at only 22 thats unfortunate.

Hope this helps

George

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is really difficult to catch on video the noise,

this is the clip i sent to VW

its most obvious as i come off the accelerator at 11 seconds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is exactly the same noise mine makes I’m sure it the fuel lines must get it on a ramp to have a look.

·
Banned
645 Posts
Seems quite strange, I will have to take my car out when the weather improves, and see if this noise materialises.
As there are several owners experiencing unusual noises from their cars, there must be an issue of some kind, but I've yet to hear any rattles or non standard noise from my car.

Could be only a certain number of cars constructed during a particular time frame, that's causing issues, as my car is still trouble free.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I had a resonance in my car at about 1800rpm which sounded to me like the exhaust was rattling somewhere (it's in my gallery thread). Seems like that's where the exhaust resonance frequency is then.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had a resonance in my car at about 1800rpm which sounded to me like the exhaust was rattling somewhere (it's in my gallery thread). Seems like that's where the exhaust resonance frequency is then.
Mine does this. If you apply the throttle slowly at a standstill there is pronounced vibration between 1800 and 2000rpm. Obviously if you build the revs higher and come off the throttle it vibrates over the same rev range on the way down. To be honest I’ve never thought anything of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too be honest the more I've driven It over the last few days the more It hasn't really bothered me. When I first noticed It I was in a Car Parking Garage with the Radio off so that must've sent my ears an alert. If It get's deafening than I may bring It in. But for the time I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! Thanks all for posting your feedback.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had my car out this morning and spent a bit of time analysing the sound, and to me it just sounds like a natural resonance between around 1750 and 2000 rpm. On the move it only happens in 1st and 2nd gear. Hold it at around 1900 rpm in 3rd or higher and it's not evident at all.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I had my car out this morning and spent a bit of time analysing the sound, and to me it just sounds like a natural resonance between around 1750 and 2000 rpm. On the move it only happens in 1st and 2nd gear. Hold it at around 1900 rpm in 3rd or higher and it's not evident at all.
Does seem that way. All cars tend to have a point where there is more resonance, i remember the Mk1 Golf Gti i owned had a lovely noise at about 3200rpm.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts