Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well since the foam was added to prevent the fuel pipe rattle ive been very pleased with my UP GTi.

I guess some cars have a rattly fuel line and some don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue on my up GTI the other week. Mine had done just over 12k when the noise started. It occurred when revving to around 1900/2000 rpm static or moving. I took it to the garage and explained the problem, they diagnosed it as a sound aktor (actuator) fault leading to increased synthetic noise being sent to the cabin during peak rev ranges, which kinda makes sense as it sounded more like a tractor when I accelerated. They adjusted the volume and I haven't had a problem since! I did laugh that I had to take it to the garage to turn it down....

P.S Don't let them turn it down too much though, half's the fun driving it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the same issue on my up GTI the other week. Mine had done just over 12k when the noise started. It occurred when revving to around 1900/2000 rpm static or moving. I took it to the garage and explained the problem, they diagnosed it as a sound aktor (actuator) fault leading to increased synthetic noise being sent to the cabin during peak rev ranges, which kinda makes sense as it sounded more like a tractor when I accelerated. They adjusted the volume and I haven't had a problem since! I did laugh that I had to take it to the garage to turn it down....

P.S Don't let them turn it down too much though, half's the fun driving it!
I have found that 80% is the sweet spot setting for the soundaktor ....

·
Registered
994 Posts
In my case it definitely doesn’t appear to be the soundaktor, as the sound comes and goes. Drove it yesterday and this morning and nothing, revs cleanly from cold. A couple of days ago it was making the noise. Wonder if it is air temperature related? Been mild the last few days.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Here's the video of my car sound noise before I got it fixed, sounds similar to other videos in this thread. It was intermittent and didn't always make the noise, usually after the engine had warmed up. I did first notice it on a very cold morning. I hope it is something as trivial as a sound aktor fault for others that are experiencing a similar noise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ours starting making the same sound a few weeks ago. Going in for its first service next week. Gonna get the dealer to have a look. I’ll keep you all posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The sound is coming from the exhaust heat shield, this is a known problem.
Took mine back to vw and they put a washer and another screw on the shield to stop it from vibrating.
Sound has gone now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wife collected the Up from its service. Dealer’s description on the service invoice ‘NO FAULT FOUND’. :cautious:

Guess I’ll be phoning them tomorrow...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Update:
Today is the first day I’ve driven the Up since it’s return from the dealers who said they couldn’t find any fault. The vibration sound has completely gone. Weird.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The vibration noise in my Up returns after refueling.
Interesting to hear how it works out with yours.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ours has a rattle, only when the temperature has dropped to very cold & only hear it when coming off throttle at low revs.Sounds like loose heat shieldy sort of noise (Not sure if shieldy is a word).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Temperature and fuel level not making a difference. The vibration has mysteriously disappeared.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Temperature and fuel level not making a difference. The vibration has mysteriously disappeared.
This is what mine is like, there is no obvious reason why it makes the noise. Sometimes it will completely disappear for weeks on end, then come back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Add mine to the list too.
Exactly the same noise at 2000rpm, comes and goes, so we'll see what VW say as it's going to them tomorrow for them to look at the steering rack tap/creak.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Normally fuel hose at rear is insecure and resonates again the chassis...or can be fuel pipes resonating in the pipe protective cover at the drivers front, pretty much under where driver sits. Hope that helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was a loose fuel line, they added in foam to stop it rattling against my chassis,
like i said it was difficult for my VW centre to believe me but i got there in the end.
No rattling or odd noises since the foam was added.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine were also loose...clips had become detached. When asked if they would look at them the dealer replied that they only get paid to fix rattles if car is a few months old and has less than 3000 miles! Mine Gti has 5000 miles. Shocking! My Alfa Giulietta is just over 3 years old and got a rattle in door (was electric window switch panel) fixed free of charge.

·
Read Only
53 Posts
Good morning all.
So after 6 months with this vibration/rattle noise. Plus One trip to Vw Newport in December (outcome “no fault found” )

This morning I have had enough.
I put the car on my ramp and decided to investigate.

thanks to the info from this forum. (sensible informative posts I might add)
I was able to find and rectify the fault pretty quickly.
The rattle is coming from main fuel return and feed Lines at the front that travel up from under the car over the chassis leg and up to the engine.
there is a small plastic clip between the chassis leg and the main subframe That had come away Off of its fixing post.
Nothing was broken it was just the fact Vw in the factory hadn’t been fixed onto the post properly.
I applied some grey Tiger Seal (just to be sure that it will never come off again) and pushed it back on the post as far as I could. But due to the angle you cannot get your hands in there properly to push it all the way home. I had to get a 12inch half inch extension and a hammer and hammer it home. (only needed a few small light hits)

Please see the photos attached. (Best I could it’s a bugg.r to get too.)

my vibration/rattle noise has gone. ?

I did read i’m here somewhere that someone went to VW and they put foam in between to stop the rattle.

Foam Is a water trap and at some point the car will corrode. where they have placed it , it will be a big and very expensive job to repair.
I suggest that you remove the foam and get them to re-attach the clip properly. View attachment 4708
E4E291EF-55F7-4C84-936B-08273898EBB5.jpeg
View attachment 4708
E4E291EF-55F7-4C84-936B-08273898EBB5.jpeg
1C6872F6-AE71-4398-92E5-1668B0C3A4B7.jpeg
if the clip is broken they can order them separately I’m sure and refix it correctly.

if anybody knows about the golf mark 5 and the foam in the inner wing. You’ll no what I’m talking about.

anyways I hope this helps.

cheers

Attachments

21 - 40 of 58 Posts