Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello/Bonjour

OK, I have googled this and I am having all types of answers. I just need some good advice/help/reasurance..

So, 'picked up' my 'new up' which is a 'cool up' yesterday and drove it home. Took 2 minutes.

Took it out properly today. Two problems.....are they connected ?

1) Burning smell. I think it is the exhaust bedding in but I have never smelt that on a new car before
I have a cold at the moment and can smell it.

The smell has reduced/maybe gone over 100 km's which I have driven today but of course I am still a bit worried.

2) Big annoying click noise when releasing clutch. Is that normal ?

So big question, is my clutch burning or are they normal 'up' thingsand I should not worry.

Apart from that it is truly a fantastic car. Big grin driving it all day. I cannot believe how good that engine is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi and welcome, when i picked mine up! I was told i may smell a little burning as thins bed in. I did for a couple of days and everythings been fine in the month ive had it ,so id say prob nothing to worry about.

The clutch pedal click is well known about but ive not had it myself. Do a search on this form for more info. I think some owners have had to chase their dealers and one possible fix is to have the pedal box changed. As your dealer to check it out. Id definately say its not normal though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I will take it to the dealer on Monday.

In terms of the clutch, the click does not happen when you get the perfect gear change at the right revs...if that makes sense.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah makes sense but as ive not had it its hard to comment. Check out the technical sectionon here. Theres a topic on page 1 and prob more if you look through the older pages. May ive more information what other owners have had.

Post up how you get on. They are great little cars though!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bonjour, upinfrance et bienvenue!

I had the same burning smell with my new Up and it went away within 2 days. Probably just wax in the engine compartment burning away.

The click on release is the self-adjuster, I was told by VW. I did have my pedal replaced but that was because it was making a loud snapping noise when depressed. Apparently the pivot point was damaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone.

The burning smell is obviously a 'running in' smell.

I found this thread after posting regarding the click/clunk noise:

www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/clutch-pedal-click-noises_topic5065.html

Quite interesting.....mine is not depressing the clutch it is releasing and is not felt through the peddle.

I will take it to the 'French' dealership where I bought it from and see what they say. This VAG dealership (who are very good and service all our cars without fault) sells 'ups' like the dozen so it will be interesting to see what they say.

I will report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts