Up Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I was wondering about installing bucket seats in my VW up, noticed it has a seat belt sensor. How would I go about doing this? Must I modify the new seats to take the sensor or do I just unplug the sensor?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi there,
There is a wiring harness underneath the seat that carries info on the seatbelt, airbag and seat heater controls (depending on your model). You will need to check your local regulations, as I see you are registered in South Africa, but I would expect that you would need to connect your new seats into this system. Since the Workshop Manual describes this connector as a 'special tool', I would assume it is VAG-specific, and therefore some form of adaptor/rewiring will be required to get your new seats to connect with the car properly. I would suggest checking with the manufacturer of your new seats to see what they advise, as getting this wrong will (at best) leave you with the seatbelt alarm going off everytime you start the car or (at worst) possibly leave you/your passenger without an airbag in a crash.
When you do get to the stage of unplugging the seats, be sure to follow all good practices around airbag safety, including disconnecting the battery and grounding yourself properly to avoid accidental discharge of the bags.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts