Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I will be picking UP! myGroove UP! in Deep Black Pearl tomorrow after work.

This is my first VW. I traded in my 2006 Seat Ibiza DAB edition which I owned from new and got £1700 for on part exchange. It had a number of advisories from the garage after narrowly passing its MOT, which is what prompted the trade in for a new car.

My choices of a new car were limited as my budget is stretched paying for my wife's year-old car and still paying off my student loan. The UP!'s cheap running costs are the reason I settled on the car, along with all the positive reviews online. I didn't test drive, so i've no idea what to expect.

I drive to work and back every day (30 mile round trip) travelling on the dual carriage way for most of the journey. Given this car is meant for the city, I'm apprehensive at how it's going to cope at 70mph most of the time?

One thing I immediately gleaned from this car, is that it appears to have bags of character.

Does anyone else use their UP! for motorway / dual carriage way driving, and do I have any reason to worry?

Cheers

Mat

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have had ours since 1st November 2013. Now covered 1100 miles. Drove fairly carefully in terms of minimum and maximum revs - but have started gradually building up. Had a run from Cumbernauld to Dunkeld today. Sits quite comfortably at 60 mph and did a few miles at 70. Seems to cope fine. Realistically getting mid 50s in terms of consumption. AND no funny clutch or gearbox noises. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we are enjoying ours.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You've got nothing to worry about.. I drive from Aberdeen to Glasgow every other week.. I've done over 10300 miles since April this year! This car does not have any issue keeping up with other cars.. I always stick to 70.. But I hear it's good at 80!
it does take a second to gain speed maybe if your on a slight incline but generally I have no problems at all with this car!! It's actually so much fun to drive!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It's fine on the motorway. I have taken mine to 110 mph on the clock, so maybe 100 mph in reality, and it feels stable, albeit rather noisy. That was a short test and I normally do 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways. It is noisier than some cars, but quieter than many, and with more than enough power. When overtaking, I normally drop a gear or two, as the car needs to be revved to deliver power.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you are doing a 15 mile trip on a fast dual carriageway stick to 60 and you should find consumption of about 60mpg. It may take an extra 2 minutes though!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
66 miles daily, mostly on dual carriageways.

70 mph no problem at all and engine doing about 3200rpm so it's not too noisy either.

You will be fine
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

Picked it up and it looked absolutely gorgeous inside the showroom all sparkly clean. It's too dark outside to take any decent pictures, so sorry about that!

I was trying to maximise my MPG on the way home to see how economical the car can be whilst actively trying. I managed about 50mpg over the hour-long journey home, which included heavy traffic leaving the town where I got the car.

Sound system in the Groove seems very good, lots of bass and very clean sounding at high volume.

The car itself isn't all that fast accelerating, but that was expected. What I didn't expect was how quickly it's recommended on the Garmin device to change up a gear or two, for maximum efficiency. Sometimes it suggests gearing up even though it doesn't feel right.

I found the seats could do with a little hump to support the smalls of your back. The seats in my Seat Ibiza were very comfy and supportive. I looked for any kind of adjustive cog on the seats but I don't know you can adjust this? It's not a massive problem at all and i'm sure in time i'll adapt to the change in shape/support.

Overall I'm impressed with the car, and I must say that the sales team at VW in Harlow have been very accommodating, and pulled out all the stops to make sure my car was ready for a speedy pick up today.

I'll post an update after a few more journeys.

I must say though, i can't wait to drive it again tomorrow!

·
Registered
583 Posts
matbrummitt said:
 I looked for any kind of adjustive cog on the seats but I don't know you can adjust this?  
Don't bother looking - there's no way of adjusting that, short of having an inflatable bag put in, for lumbar support.Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
171 Posts
matbrummitt said:
I found the seats could do with a little hump to support the smalls of your back.
<mytubeelement =""bundle":"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","":"","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_suped_on_your_browser":"No notification style suped on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_suped":"Not Suped","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for__site":"Click to enable for site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock or similar extension is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null,"prefs":"desktopNotification":true,"Notification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":true,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":true,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true" ="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement =""loadBundle":true" ="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>The trick I found for this is to somehow let myself sink further into my up!'s seat than I would instinctively. Not sure what I actually mean by that
""“ presumably it's that I push my bum further backwards into the seat back's cushioning than initially seems normal. It does seem to then provide the support in the small of the back I was missing, while remaining perfectly comfy otherwise.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In the end, I went for a little cushion. Means the small of your back doesn't benefit from the heated seat, though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Enjoy your new car.

Our Up! is used for short hops on the A1 - and it copes well.
I'd take it further afield if I needed to, though usually when we are travelling further we are "heavy" with stuff/people and have other cars to choose from.

The cabin at 70mph is a pleasant place to be. Where we live is largely flat, and I suppose it might struggle a bit to maintain 70mph in 5th up a steep hill, but I doubt it'd be noisy if you had to bang it down to 4th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts