Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vauxhall / Opel have just released pics of their new city car - the Adam:

Due out in a few months time I believe. Sept time.

What do you think of it? I don't like the name and the rest of the car looks like a mash of fiat 500, mini and DS3...

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
705 Posts
The chrome strips around the roofline remind me of a 1950s pram, the black canvas hood with the silver hood irons.

There are a lot of creases in the bodywork to try to add interest - the bonnet (and they do look like the traditional Vauxhall "flutes" that disappeared with the Cresta), the front valance, the front of the doors and the curious scoop around the door handle.

There's a hint of Audi A1, too, with the roof being a different colour to the body.

An odd choice of name for a Vauxhall as well. Adam fits much better with Opel, founded by Adam Opel in 1862. Perhaps the hot version will be named after Fritz von Opel, the rocket pioneer?

Nick

·
Registered
677 Posts
I was just away to post about this :p

I really love small, smart, innovative city cars! Especially stylish ones. But what it looks like Vauxhall have done is steal design parts from other cars and just mixed them together.

Face - New Peugeot 208
Roof - Citroen DS3
Back - Old Ford Ka

It doesn't look "new", it looks like its been a forced design. I do have to admit I really like the interior, but thats about it. Sorry Vauxhall ..... not for me!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Naah, the name sounds camp. Not that Adam is a camp name, but when applied to a car, no!

It looks like it has a long bonnet, so the interior space will be compromised. Unless they have a class leading engine as per the Up, then this will not be up to the Up, probably good otherwise. I'm not keen on the design - too much 'whoosh' as per Ford Fiesta etc, not my cup of tea. And Vauxhall is an iffy brand, although the Corsa is said to be decent (the old one was vile though).

Craig200588 said:
I was just away to post about this :p

I really love small, smart, innovative city cars! Especially stylish ones. But what it looks like Vauxhall have done is steal design parts from other cars and just mixed them together.
And the Up does not plagiarise? Cripes, the coloured dash is as per Fiat 500, the rear as per Peugeot 107, the 3 cylinder engine as per Pug 107 etc, and so on. But they've done it all better. Isn't there some quote about great men (1) stealing?

(1) Sorry to be sexist, it is a quote.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I grant that the Up is similar to other cars. Basically every new car or any other kind of product is just the same as the last just "better", but the Up, like what you said, just does it better!! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hm..

Definately has some DS3 funkyness and 500 retro-roundness.

How will it compare on price to the up!? Looking at the interior, this Adam looks like it could be quite a bit more expensive. Steering wheelbuttons (oh I do miss the steering wheel volume adjust!), doors trimmed in whatappears to be stitched leather, climate control? and an integrated screen.
Probably be competing as a cheaper DS3 and could do very well but I'm sorry, that mouth is ruining the front!

Edited by: Collas

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
like the mini etc, by the time you spec it up it will be nearer 13-14k so not really in same sector as the up but I think its the best looking opel/vauxhall for a while...sure they will sell tons, esp as there won't be the dammed wait there is with ups!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I quite like it! Very small badge on the front though. I like my massive vw one.. LolEdited by: Rednaxela

·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just read this too:

Ignoring the funny trim names looks like they are going to get you with options - 'virtually unlimited combinations'....

Vauxhall will sell the Adam with three trim options: Jam, Glam and Slam. Jam is described as ""fashionable and colourful""�, Glam is ""elegant ""¨and sophisticated""� and Slam ""¨is ""racy and sporty""�.Designer Mark Adams says that within these trim levels comes ""virtually unlimited exterior/interior colour, fabric and kit combination choices. It's very unlikely you'll find two identical Adams out there""�.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It looks like a nice car although I'm not so keen on all the bumps and folds in the bodywork. It is perhaps the first Vauxhall in years that may be worth having a go in (the last Vauxhall I drove was a Chevette GLS). It is nice to see that manufacturers are making quite an effort with their designs at this end of the market.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have just read the Whatcar preview on this Adam and they say it will be offered with two 1.2 four cylinder engines and one 1.4 four cylinder engine with a 3-pot turbo being a possibility later on so not really an up! rival. For top spec they're predicting £17k

I have driven the latest Astra and Insignia, both of which were bland diesel rentals but I was still impressed with both of them. Huge improvements over the Vectra and previous Astra.

I like it! But then I like the DS3. I'm sure they know what they're doing but can't help thinking that the Adam is going to be a much better Corsa!

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is not really a rival for the Up! It's more for the Mini/Fiat 500 upper-spec and DS3, which explains why it takes styling elements from all of those (plus the roof "bars" from the Audi A1) with a few Vauxhall/Opel styling cues (the lines on the doors, around the door handles etc).

I think it looks good from some angles, a mish-mash from others. But then there are many cars you can say this about nowadays...

The name Adam comes from the founder of Opel, as they are celebrating 150 years since it was formed as a company. Sounds daft on a Vauxhall though...!!

Edited by: Collas

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Dan said:
Just read this too:

Ignoring the funny trim names looks like they are going to get you with options - 'virtually unlimited combinations'....

Vauxhall will sell the Adam with three trim options: Jam, Glam and Slam. Jam is described as ""fashionable and colourful""�, Glam is ""elegant ""¨and sophisticated""� and Slam ""¨is ""racy and sporty""�.Designer Mark Adams says that within these trim levels comes ""virtually unlimited exterior/interior colour, fabric and kit combination choices. It's very unlikely you'll find two identical Adams out there""�.
I think thats why I really dont like it, there is just too much going on, its too fussy. I like the simple sleek lines in the up.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I suppose there must be a big market for a Polo/Audi A1 class car with good mpg, easy to park, decent build inside but not too pricey, and Polo space.

willowaz said:
I think thats why I really dont like it, there is just too much going on, its too fussy. I like the simple sleek lines in the up.
Me too. The Fiat 500 works cos it is simple and elegant. As is the Up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Terrible name with a confused external design. Only redeeming factor is the floating concept at the rear pillar. The list price seems steep pre the obvious pre registered discounts etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts