Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you guys! Just bought myself today the roof bars and bike holder from my vw dealer. I have to say that the prices on the VW website are totally wrong. The bike holder on the website says £98.00 pounds fitted, while the roof bars are £198.00 also fitted. Now, at the dealer I spent £85.00 with VAT included for the bike holder and £185.00 with VAT included for the roof bars, and they fitted them as well. Huge difference in price, not that I am complaining. Lol. Besides that, I have to say it makes the little UP! Look even more sporty! Here is a picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would be interested to hear how it the car handles with a bike on top. I regularly stick mine in the back but when taking some mates out it would be nice to have the option to stick them on the roof.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was just thinking of this recently. It's good to see that someone has them and I can see what they actually look like to the car.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It handles fine with a bike on top, just don't go flinging around if you care about your bike, as a precaution if nothing else. I've driven journeys up to 2 hours including motorways with the bike on and was more than happy with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks really good! I've thought about adding them to my car in the future.
I've not actually tried to put a bike in the back of mine yet so will try getting two bikes in before I splash out!

Your Up looks great btw! I love the wheels.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. It drives fine with the bike on top. I also have 2 bikes, but they only had one bike holder, waiting for the second one which is on order.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If owners cant affird to stump up VW prices i can highly recommend Thule bars and cycle carriers, they are cheaper to buy and more aerodynamic saving fuel. Also, if you wish to later buy a roof box for the bars Thule do a much wider choice of size and shape.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Rickenbacker, did you actually purchase a cycle carrier for your UP?<div id="LCS_FE1DEEEA_DB6D_44b8_83F0_34FC0F9D1052_communicationDiv">

if so,which model was it?

tizer

·
Registered
30 Posts
tizer said:
Hi Rickenbacker, did you actually purchase a cycle carrier for your UP?<div id="LCS_FE1DEEEA_DB6D_44b8_83F0_34FC0F9D1052_communicationDiv">

if so,which model was it?

tizer

You can fit most boot mounted bike racks to the Up!, but you need to change the bottom hooks for dumbbell type fittings. See link:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_224005_langId_-1_categoryId_202502

Then you are not attaching metal hooks to the glass part of the boot. What i do is connect hooks to top of boot, open boot and drop the dumbbell fittings in, close boot then pull them forward until they rest against the inside of the boot then tension all straps as normal. Works really well and I can get 3 bikes on mine.

Hope this makes sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts