Up Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hope all is well :) newbie here, bought a 62 plate take up! On 29600 miles and 3 owners from new, VW for first 2 years, the 2 older owners for 3 years each.

car was £3600 and I love the ups so I’m happy.

a few pieces of warranty work paperwork of things done in 12/13 leaky boot and heat shield. and a full VW service history.

now, the issue Im having is when pulling away, no matter how slow I pull the clutch up I’m getting a vibrating/rumble and a clunk before it moves off, unless I’m on a hill facing down, this rumble is there, I’ve tired all different ways with gas, no gas etc. It moves through every other gear fine.

I also have a tinny noise when accelerating (putting foot down to build speed) and cant make out what it could be.

got it booked in but not until 26th jan... any help?

thanks guys x

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Without hearing it/driving it, I'll just suggest some of the obvious things.... Could be the clutch thrust bearing, but I'd expect this would be audible whenever you use the clutch. Could be a gearbox bearing, but again, you should hear this more than only at step-off.... It could also be a wheel bearing or CV joint - these get harder to hear as road noise increases, so at step-off this could seem prominent.

The 'tinny noise' may be related or it may be something else...

The noise might even be something that has come loose and not necessarily wallet-damaging.

If you can record the sounds on your phone and post audio file as an attachment, there's a chance someone on the forum will know what it is, a lot more accurately than my guesses!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does it still do this "Rumble/Vibration" when fully warmed up or just when it's cold / first 20 miles or so?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Could be one of a few things. Most of those mentioned above, plus a soft engine / gearbox mount.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's where I was coming from, rumbling / vibes are relatively ok if only when cold. The "Clunk" mentioned would be something different. I had this and turned out to be the gearbox - subframe mount. It's bolted one end and a rubber doughnut type mounting on the other that had gone i.e. the rubber completely split and a chunk missing.

The mount was from memory £45 (exc. VAT) and the garage charged 20 mins fitment. I'd had suspicions it was this but difficult to tell just by rocking the engine. Easy to check on a ramp if it's gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts