Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, nice to join the club !

I recently become the owner of a black Volkswagen Up 2016 model (very similar to 2015 model).

I love the car so far, still feels like a good drive with 19k miles on the clock.

I had one question, specifically for those who have older models... I am not a fan of the Garmin Sat Nav. Is there any type of device/adapter/replacement that could be used instead of the Sat nav Mount, to enable a phone or tablet to be used in the current port? Ive looked around for alternatives, but not been able to find one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum! I believe someone constructed/adapted their mount to use a larger tablet with the post-2017 'new' Up!s, but I'm not aware of anyone doing something similar for the original Up!s. The main problem is that the pre-2017 sat-navs and holder use an 11-pin connector to provide comms and power, which is non-standard; e.g.:
In addition, most other devices (sat navs, phones, tablets, etc.) use micro-USB or USB-C connectors (see here for more info) for the same purpose - and I cannot find any 11-pin (d-sub) to USB convertor cables.
So... If you do find a solution, I'm sure many people here would love to hear it, but I suspect the answer is what most people are already doing - bypassing the in-built system, attaching their desired device to the car via a suitable bracket and using the Aux port to connect with the radio (if desired - I don't bother).

Reactions: Miss_J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I had a good look around for an alternative device that would connect with the 11 pin Mount, but there really isn't anything out there.

I wanted to replace the current Garmin Sat Nav with this one:

Unfortunately the Garmin that came with the Car cannot be replaced. The one I want, cannot connect with the mount bracket and there isn't an adapter either to connect with the 11 pin mount.

This is seriously disappointing, I assume the mount has been patented and therefore the 11 pin mount which is able to hold an alternative device will never be possible....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi @Miss_J,
You'll have difficulty fitting that particular GPS to any standard mount because of the camera position on the back, so it's the same problem from a different angle. My suspicion is that VW went with a cheaper alternative to a branded built-in system when the car was launched (complete with connection that prevented you from substituting your own device), but you can see in the changes they made to the system on the Mk2s that they'd recognised technology and attitudes had moved on, people were more used to using their own devices, and adapted accordingly. Evolution at work, even if your particular car unfortunately missed out.

Reactions: Miss_J and Carlos
1 - 6 of 6 Posts