Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we are about to order a High Up next weekend and had decided on Candy White but after browsing this forum I love the look of the light blue colour of some of the Ups I have seen. This colour no longer seems to be an option, is that correct?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
149 Posts
That light blue looks nice on the up! Shame it's discontinued.
25 years ago, I had a Golf mk1 in Florida blue. That colour was lovely. Excellent bodywork and rust protection, but the engine kept conking out. Shame as it was like an up! of yesteryear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd go for the Mayan Blue. I wish it had been an option when I purchased my Up, since it's similar to the Kingfisher blue metallic colour, which I loved, when Audi offered it on the Mk1 A4.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Miserable Git said:
I'd go for the Mayan Blue. I wish it had been an option when I purchased my Up, since it's similar to the Kingfisher blue metallic colour, which I loved, when Audi offered it on the Mk1 A4.
The mk1 Audi A4 was something I always fancied but never bought when it came out in the mid 90s.
It falls into the category of "cars I always yearned for but never bought because I spent any spare money on the house instead".

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've seen a few light blue up's around, even a couple on autotrader. I guess they'll go for a slightly higher price relative to other UPs of similar spec and usage. But thena gain, I guess only up aficionados would know the difference so maybe not.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I still browse Auto Trader, in the hope of being able to pick up a Mk1 A4 in Kingfisher Blue, Timii, despite how much my wife may disapprove, should I ever find one.

·
Registered
851 Posts
While on the subject, i always wished i bought the old Fabia vRS with the 130bhp Passat diesel engine. A pocket rocket without ridiculous styling bolt ons. These aren't made anymore. The later generation Fabia vRS went over to a petrol engine. Sadly, i can't justify buying one in any shape or form.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
On the subject of cars I should have bought and might if I find a good one....Mk2 slk AMG55.........bargain but not for everyday use !

·
Registered
325 Posts
AlanG said:
While on the subject, i always wished i bought the old Fabia vRS with the 130bhp Passat diesel engine. A pocket rocket without ridiculous styling bolt ons. These aren't made anymore. The later generation Fabia vRS went over to a petrol engine. Sadly, i can't justify buying one in any shape or form.

That was a good engine - my parents had it in a Golf and a Bora. I had it in a Seat Leon about 10 years ago.

As for the present day vRS - the only real thing it has going for it (IMHO as an ex-owner) is the engine and gearbox (which is the same as the Polo GTI). I found the ride VERY hard and the build quality fair. It was squeaking and rattling after a few months from new. I also had to constantly top up the engine oil.

The Up feels much more planted on the road and is currently squeak and rattleless :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've often heard those old PD (pumpe duse?) diesels were heavy on oil. More a reflection on VW than Skoda i should think.

·
Registered
325 Posts
AlanG said:
I've often heard those old PD (pumpe duse?) diesels were heavy on oil. More a reflection on VW than Skoda i should think.

Not in my case - I never had to top up the oil between services. I also had the PD150 for a couple of years in a Leon Cupra and that didn't need any extra oil, either.

The only car I've ever had to top up was the vRS with its 180 bhp 1.4 petrol engine. Probably the combination of that engine and the DSG gearbox - Polo and Audi A1 users with the same combination also complained about oil usage.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This really shows my age , but there are 3 cars I have owned...out of 60 plus...that I wish I still had.

1..1959 Austin Healey 3000. A real beast of a car but great fun. Had all 4 wheels off the ground many times over Hump back bridges. Also lost me 2 girlfriends through fright!!

2..1969 P6 Rover 3500.Just a wonderful, powerful and comfortable car.

3..1972 lotus Elan + 2. Colin Chapman's Genius that you could drive on the public highway. Simply Wonderful!!

Go well.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ah yes those old Rovers from the 60s look so plush. Never been in one and i feel i have missed out. They look like they probably drank like a professional darts player though. I also loved the hatchback SD1 Rover 3500 introduced in 1977. Those were the days when you got loads of lovely instruments to look at such as oil pressure, coolant temperature and battery charge.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I never had to top the oil up, between services, in the time that I had my 52-plate Audi.

Although, my brother-in-law's wife complained about having to do so, after he'd purchased a six month old 2.0TDI A4 Avant, in early 2006.

This is also the same woman who decided to fill up a BMW 525D SE with petrol, drive it away from the filling station and then wonder why it failed on her.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
149 Posts
AlanG said:
Ah yes those old Rovers from the 60s look so plush. Never been in one and i feel i have missed out. They look like they probably drank like a professional darts player though. I also loved the hatchback SD1 Rover 3500 introduced in 1977. Those were the days when you got loads of lovely instruments to look at such as oil pressure, coolant temperature and battery charge.
The P5 from the late 60s to early 70s was the one used by British Prime Ministers of the time, and that just oozed opulence for the aspiring middle-class. I once drove a P6 2000TC and that was very nice. Chocolate brown with ivory leather. 20 mpg if driven normally. These days an slk 350 gets a bit more than that. You are right about the amount of dials. People would be mesmerised if there were lots of dials.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Morning go for the Mayan blue it's a lovely colour you won't be disappointed my wife wanted the Mayan blue one and me the red .but has all changed I'm having the Mayan blue one and she is having the red that's being delivered
Tomorrow .so hope she will be pleased ,

Regards pbhill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts