Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm brand new to this forum and I am also a brand new Move Up! owner. Got my little '14 plate Mayan Blue number last month with brand new with 37 delivery miles on the clock (#smug) - now up to 570. I haven't seen many of the Mayan Blues on the road - let yourselves be seen! :)

So far, the only modifications I have made are: black and silver hubcaps to replace the rather underwhelming standard wheel trims, and also some black and blue car mats - so I haven't done much to it at all.

I'm planning to get the two back and boot windows tinted to blend in with the glossy black material on the boot.

Also thinking about two vinyl stripes going from the very front of the bonnet, right to the back of the car - my preferences currently weighting on black vinyl, rather than white. Matte black perhaps??

Looking for a couple of seat belt pads at the moment, however doesn't look as if there is a huge range of VW ones out there. Chrome valve caps are to be ordered too. Double chrome exhaust tips to give the impression of a dual exhaust are a possibility (what does everyone think about this?).Last but not least, a Nurburgring sticker on the back to finish it off ;)

I saw a post in another forum earlier today of how an Alfa driver was being let on to by other Alfa drivers like the biking community tend to do. I love this! So far, I've had to stop myself a few times from giving a little smile to a fellow owner.

Emma :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Emma,

Blue seems to be the "Layd's colour"?

Many women prefer Mayan Blue ...

Nice looking alloys!

My up! is a (black) high up! with chrome pack and the rear door chrome protector.
So, a lot of chrome ...

I once drove the Nürburgring (as co-driver) with my father. Must have been 30 years ago ...
Well; I have a St. George's Flag sticker on the back of my car (a friend from Norfolk sent me).

Do you have a 2014 or a 2015 up!?
The 2015 has the tyre control button (SET) near the 12V ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Cadfael,

Yay! Nice to hear from an Up! owner in Germany.

I hadn't seen a mayan blue Up! before I bought mine! There seem to be a heck of a lot of white ones here, and I've seen both men and women driving them. Mine is a 2014 model - I don't believe the 2015 is available here...I could be wrong. Mine was shipped brand new from Germany just a month ago. We do have the E-Up here though. I couldn't believe how much more expensive that is though!!

Your Up! is gorgeous. I love the red interior details! Did you make any modifications yourself, or did it come as it is?

I can't believe you've done the Nurburgring!! I'm so jealous. I'm planning to drive my Up! from England to Germany through France and Luxembourg and then swap cars into something more powerful when I get to the ring (because otherwise it will invalidate my insurance). I'll be the primary driver - I can't wait!

Emma

·
Registered
252 Posts
They are very convincing wheel trims. Are they from a VW dealer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mii Al! They're pretty good, aren't they?! :)

Not from a VW dealer, no. I got them from a seller on eBay. Really easy to install and very cheap too (about £32). The VW badges came with them.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Emma,

I only did the Nürburgring as co-driver and 30 years or more ago!
I
was on the Isle of Man with my motorbike (17 years ago) and did the TT
course 4.5 times (not during the TT because too crowdy - was there in
July). If I could choose - I would ride to the IOM and not drive to the
Nürburgring. The Nürburgring also is a bit too dangerous for me (like
IOM during TT) because you never know which idiots are on the course at
the same time ...

The 2015 up! has been built since CW24 2014. So, your up! can be a 2014 or 2015!
I
have one of the last 2014ers without tyre pressure control system. If
you have a "SET" button next to the 12V and gear stick, you have a
2015er. It will be EU law soon and so VW had the TPS from CW24 on for
all European up!s. Do you have the SET button? Zimbo (also Mayan Blue)
has a 2015er ...

The only thing non-standard in my up! is the
"sheep protection system" (Horatius, the fluffy sheep in the ashtray,
who protects my coins from being stolen).

Okay;
the rear door chrome protector a special modification - but also a VW
part you can buy for the up!. And I have All-Season typres on my up!
because my milage is so low that summer and winter tyres would make no
sense (and I have 1.5 miles from home to work). Last "modification" is
the 32 GB microSD card for the M&M (for 5000 songs) ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cadfael,

You're so right when you say you don't know what idiots will be at Nurburg at the same time, but I suppose we take that risk every day when we go on the roads. It's just the thrill of being on the Nurburgring which attracts me, and the drive to the ring would be incredible!! Google tells me it'd take around 10 hours to get there. How old were you as a passenger? Kudos to your dad for letting you have such an amazing experience! Can you remember his lap time? First I'm going to race Silverstone or Donington (in an Ariel Atom
) to get me prepped.

I haven't noticed the SET button next to the 12V, so I'm guessing it isn't a 2015.

All season tyres is a good idea, but I was never offered those. I did, however, manage to get GardX exterior protection in my deal :)

Emma

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Emma,

I had to pay extra for the All-Season tyres as they are not available for a high up! (only for a move up! - in Germany). But I wanted these tyres and made a deal, knowing that you get nearly nothing for the "brand new second hand summer tyres" which were on.

I was about 18??? I am 50 now ...

Well; I once started in Adlington Chorley North of Manchester at 7 o'clock in the morning and was at home in Rheinberg Germany at abou 9 pm; so, 14 hours ...

I drove/rode five time to England, Wales and the IOM in the past. As my nickname states, I am a fan of Shrewsbury, Shropshire and the Welsh borderland (but I also love East Anglia or Kent). I learnt from my first visit and always made a night rets in Canterbury afterwards.

I would recommend to drive through Belgium (NL?) and Germany to get to the Nurburgring ...
Calais > Brügge > Brüssel/Brussel, Lüttich/Liege/Luik (or Maasstricht) > Aachen > A61 before Köln/Colgne and then on the A61 South to the Nürburgring. And I would stay at least one night in Belgium (or near Aachen) and on the way back somewhere in the South of England ...

Or make a 5 days trip?
Cologne is not far away and it is impressing! The cathedral, the river Rhine, the whole city ...
The area I lived 40 years is not so impressive but beautiful. it is the borderland between the Netherlands and Germany, North of Clogne, between the river Rhine and Maas/Meuse. That's where the British and Canadian troups entered Germany in early 1945. You see city names of my homeland in nearly every regimental or war museum in England!

Maybe we have some ex soldiers here who were in NRW (Laarbruch or near Mönchengladbach) who know the best route.

I once passed Manchester with my motorbike. First wanted to ride through Manchester to Chorley but then decided that this is no good idea. So I drove back to the motorway and found myself in a 7 lane roundabout!

But I loved riding through England (which was much easyer than driving for me)!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Emma

Welcome,I only joined a couple of hours before you, I loved your alloys

I would like to mention what happened to me while I was considering ordering I was thinking of upgrading the alloys from the ones fitted as standard on the High Up to the ''Classic" version, I obtained a number of Insurance quotes most of them asked if the car had been modified in anyway I explained I was considering upgrading the alloys as explained, but these would be done at the time of build by VW the majority explained that this would incur additional charges, should I fail to give them any info relating to change from standard (however small) could mean if I made a claim I may not be insured

I felt this was rip off, the car would be leaving the factory with the wheels fitted it. So I decided against it and saved a few bob I found out shortly afterwards that VW /Allianz were giving 12 months free insurance and when I queried my issue with them they informed me that they would cover me at no additional charge, as long as I informed them before taking delivery

You live and learn

Albert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cadfael,

Your adventures sound so much fun!

I'll be sure to post pictures of my trip on here when I eventually get there :) Your Belgium plan sounds pretty good - I might just follow that one :) I'd be going for a minimum of four days I think.

7 lane roundabout!! Nasty!!
I'd love to know where that one is!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Albert,

Emma's alloys are really nice!

The VW Classic alloys are nice, too! Hope you love the standard Spoke alloys meanwhile.
I was lucky that the standard Spoke alloys were my favorite.
Well; insurance in Germany seems to be totally different. I was asked to list all "extras" on my high up! (car was 13000‚¬ list price, extras 2000‚¬ as we have to pay for many things extra you get as standard in the UK). But the insurance makes a difference between "extras" / "options" and real modifications.

@ Emma: Heard of many Germans and British who had problems in France not speaking Frensh. In Belgium and Germany it should be no problem to only speak English. When I met other bikers from Belgium or the Netherlands we spoke English - or I spoke German and they spoke Dutch and when we didn't understand, we switched to English ...
It is hard for English students to learn German in Germany as many Germans switch to English.

Was surprising when my friends from Norfolk visited me and even the young man in the small Turkish Off Licence Shop turned to English.
Only problem in Belgium are the languages. When you look for Liege (Lüttich in German) you have to look for "Luik" (Dutch name) or our Aachen is "Aix-la-Chapelle". Oh yes - and the "Autobahn Ring" around Cologne (Köln) is more crowdy than the M25 around London!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You speak great English if you don't mind me saying :)

Before I go anywhere, I like to learn at least a few of the basic phrases. I hate to be seen as being an ignorant traveller shouting loudly for my beer (because we all know that shouting at people equates to speaking another language...)

Oh and as for the alloys - they're clip on hubcaps, not alloys - I wish :) They do look pretty convincing though
I can't believe your alloys were standard!! You should have seen the standard trims I got - really plain, light silver and cheap-looking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts