Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With apologies for all the questions, what are the 'must have' services? The ones that have caught my eye are:<ul>[*]FreshMaps EU 44 (2 years subs, discounted £15.99, usually £80
)[*]Safety Cameras (1 year discounted £12.50, usually £25 - but see below)[*]Premium TMC ("up-to-date detailed traffic announcements": £40, but for how long?)[*]Live Services ("Traffic Live, Local Search, Mobile Speed Traps Live, Weather Live": £25, but for how long?)[*]Then there's the "Map of Europe" at £55, whatever that is - same as above but without the updates?[/list]
How useful is Premium TMC? What's the difference between it and Live Services?

Regarding Safety Cameras, I imagine it's a pretty rudimentary service, especially concerning the UK's ever-changing camera landscape. I subscribe to the excellent Pocket GPS World service, whose subscribers hoover up fixed and mobile sites really fast - but I don't think Garmin allow user POIs in the Navigon supplied with the VW.

Last question: what model is the Maps + More Navigon device - does it have an official model number?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Don't know the last item ...
I bought the 2 years update (in Germany for 19.99 EUROs) ...

In Germany, the speed camera warning (for static cameras) works without any additional paying? Coming next to a speed camera there is "Achtung, Gefahrenstelle" ("Caution, danger spot") ...

I wouldn't buy a mobile speed trap warner. Is it legal in the UK?
I have put on the speed warner. In the UK you might select 5/10/15 miles above speed limit. I set it so that it doesn't warn all the time but saves money ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Freshmaps EU 44 for 2 years is all you need - you can ignore the "Map of Europe".

Safety Cameras - up to you, but I took it and have found it to be accurate.

Premium TMC - we've got it already (for life) as it comes pre-installed. This is actually Trafficmaster data broadcast on certain radio stations. Don't know why it's still listed as something we can buy.

Live Services - I think this is Garmin's own traffic data but I can't remember where they get it from. You can evaluate it for 4 weeks, I think, then it's a one-off payment for life. It uses your mobile (via Bluetooth) to connect to the Internet to get the Live Services.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think Live Services includes camera updates in the UK, so if you have live services, you don't need cameras.

·
Registered
325 Posts
mii al said:
I think Live Services includes camera updates in the UK, so if you have live services, you don't need cameras.

Looking at Garmin's M&M support site, this does appear to be the case - don't know how I missed it.

Oh well, I now have two ways of getting speed camera info onto my M&M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts