Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - everyone - great site!

Now, I think my Up! is great...However, I have a few issues to which I hope you can put my mind at ease.

I've had my Up for from new for9 months now and have covered almost 8K. All has been running well until about a month ago my breaks have been juddering under breaking (warped disc, I think). It's going to VW at the end of the week to be looked at.

My question is, will they charge me for looking at it? And more importantly, will they charge me for repairing it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Depends on what they see as the cause. If they find a manufacturing fault then they should do it under warranty, but I would go in expecting to pay.

You shouldn't be charged for a 'diagnostic check' or for them to fault find, but given a previous post on here expect to pay around £250 if they decide it needs new discs and pads.

·
Registered
309 Posts
At such low milage it can't be normal wear and tear, so I would be very clear with them that your not happy about the problem.

They can't charge you for looking at a problem with a car under warranty. If they refuse to repair under warranty I would complain, last resort get the discs/pads replaced somewhere else for less money.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Marcymarcmarc

I have the same problem with my up! - it started as a low speed pumping sensation as the car came to a halt at low speed, but has gradually got worse and more noticeable.

Highlighted the problem to my dealer at 10,000 miles (5 months) and told 'no fault found'. As I had mentioned the problem, I reminded them of the problem at the next service (20,000 miles / 10 months) and got mechanic to come out with me. He finally agreed there was a problem and asked his warranty manager about changing the discs and pads BUT was told this type of fault will not be fixed under warranty after 6,000 miles / 6 months as VW say brakes are wear and tear items and not covered beyond that.

The problem seemed to get worse after I started using the Hill Assist rather than the handbrake, so I've gone back to the handbrake to delay the problem getting even more noticeable!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Upmeister said:
Hi Marcymarcmarc

I have the same problem with my up! - it started as a low speed pumping sensation as the car came to a halt at low speed, but has gradually got worse and more noticeable.

Highlighted the problem to my dealer at 10,000 miles (5 months) and told 'no fault found'. As I had mentioned the problem, I reminded them of the problem at the next service (20,000 miles / 10 months) and got mechanic to come out with me. He finally agreed there was a problem and asked his warranty manager about changing the discs and pads BUT was told this type of fault will not be fixed under warranty after 6,000 miles / 6 months as VW say brakes are wear and tear items and not covered beyond that.

The problem seemed to get worse after I started using the Hill Assist rather than the handbrake, so I've gone back to the handbrake to delay the problem getting even more noticeable!
6,000 miles, that's all they're covered for??

Must admit I can see a wear lip on my discs already and I've only done a 1000 miles. They don't look the usual VW quality to me, I normally get about 30,000 miles out of front discs, no warping (on other VW's that is!)

I'd look if anyone is doing aftermarket discs for the up, may be better quality/longer lasting. Have found Brembo discs to be long lasting and no more expensive than VAG ones.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think you will find (now asbestos is not used in pads anymore) brake discs are now considered to be a wear item (consumable)just like pads.

How long they last depends on your driving style & type of journeys.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good practice is always to replace pads and discs in full sets. Given their minimal cost it is worth doing. However 6k outmof a set of either discs or pads is shocking. Even driving like Lewis Hamilton shouldn't kill a set.

Given how light the Up! is I can't see how they can be at the end of the working life. Put it this way our 2008 Ford Focus is still on its original friction materials and has covered almost 70k. Similarly my old man's Lexus IS220D has covered 50k and still has only just ticked over 50% of pad life and 40% disc life.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Derkie54 said:
I think you will find (now asbestos is not used in pads anymore) brake discs are now considered to be a wear item (consumable)just like pads.

How long they last depends on your driving style & type of journeys.
Yes aware of that but the quality of the disc steel will determine the life of the disc - I think VAG have cut costs here. The discs just look poor quality. 50k miles on our Ibiza, still on original discs and pads! still plenty of wear allowance in the discs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've taken my car into VW and they're going to replace the brakes and discs for free!

They are also going to do arecall repair on the airbag?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good news! we should all expect the same now from our dealers if we have brake disc issues at low milage

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
As I've mentioned, same prob here, slight judder at 20K miles, now awful at 32K miles....being changed today with VW covering 70% cost as 'goodwill' can't complain at that imho

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
They do, mine are on right now!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think most people here including myself run winters on 14" steelies. Best having a look at mytyres, they have loads to choose from.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
No, 16" are hard to find, I have 14" steels with vredestein snowtrak 3 tyres, 2 sets, 1 for each up!

Much better to tuck your nice alloys away for the winter and use steels for the salty roads

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice. I now have a new set of winter boots thanks to Kwik-Fit stocking Pirelli winter tyres.The only other I found were Michelin Alpin but you had to put them on order.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts