Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Been in the VW scene for a good few years now and currently own a Vw T5 camper on airride. This year my eldest will start driving and she wants a UP, citigo or a Mii. We will probably be looking around a 2013 year. Now I’m after some of your advice on what are the common faults on the UP or anything I should be looking for. Cheers

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome. These early cars had fairly weak clutches that can sometimes cause issues. Make sure it engages all gears smoothly particularly 1st and reverse when cold.

At this age and dependant on mileage cambelt might need doing (if not done) but that's more of a personal preference. VW try and "encourage" a change after 5 years but the belts should be good for at least 100k miles. Worth inspecting.

Other issues to check for are possible rust on front wings and any moisture in the boot or footwells indicating water ingress.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. These early cars had fairly weak clutches that can sometimes cause issues. Make sure it engages all gears smoothly particularly 1st and reverse when cold.

At this age and dependant on mileage cambelt might need doing.

Other issues to check for are possible rust on front wings and any moisture in the boot or footwells indicating water ingress.

Good luck with your search.
thanks for your response Percy. I’ve notices a few threads mentioning they suffer with water ingress and condensation, where are the weak points that normally allow the water in

·
Registered
181 Posts
thanks for your response Percy. I’ve notices a few threads mentioning they suffer with water ingress and condensation, where are the weak points that normally allow the water in
I believe tailgate is the main culprit. Windscreen can be an issue after replacement if not sealed properly like any car. I don't think the door seals are very good so I take it steady with the pressure washer near them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do all models come with a AUX? She has an iPhone and one thing she wants to be able to do is play music from her phone. Apparently I’m not aloud to touch her car when she gets it, no mods , nothing, I’m not sure she’s my daughter lol

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi there,
All pre-2017 Up!s have a round Aux port (hopefully compatible with iPhones?) - you can see it beneath the 'MENU' button on picture 5 of this example:

I've never tried to plug anything into mine, but according to this post all it can do is transfer sound to the car speakers; anything else must be controlled via the phone:

and according to this one you have to tinker with the internal settings to get everything set up right the first time (depending on whether the previous owner(s) used the Aux port):

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do all models come with a AUX? She has an iPhone and one thing she wants to be able to do is play music from her phone. Apparently I’m not aloud to touch her car when she gets it, no mods , nothing, I’m not sure she’s my daughter lol
While she sleeping, grab the keys and put some pink fluffy dice on the rear view mirror and some eye lashes on the head lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys I notice a lot of the UPs seem to have manual windows, which specs have electric windows

·
Registered
384 Posts
I believe it was only the base model Take Up!s that had manual (front) windows. This model was discontinued after the 2017 facelift, so they should all have electric windows now. All Up!s have manual (pop) rear windows, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts