Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I paid a visit to Hawco VW in Inverness to enquire about an e-up and was told that VW have stopped production and it is no longer possible to order one. The salesman seems to think this is because VW are going all in on the ID.3, which seems odd to stop production of your 20k electric car in the hope of people spending over 30k, especially when Skoda and Seat are still selling their electric only versions of the up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is it maybe about manipulating brand CO2 figures? I think there is some kind of averaging across the full range of models of each brand. It's possible that Skoda and Seat need the electric cars in their line-up more urgently than VW, to meet legislation. Mind you I believe there is also no production of eCitigo at the moment, but that might be a covid thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If true and not just a pause in production that’s rather sad, does make you wonder why they went to the trouble of developing and producing an improved range version, obviously technically the work spreads to the other cars using the platform but still a bit puzzling.

I did wonder about maybe eventually moving on to an e-up! after the GTi… oh well, never mind. Would still be interested to try driving one in an all electric first drive experience, had a short drive in a 3rd gen Prius 8 years ago so have driven a hybrid but not a vehicle without an engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out this might be duff gen, the VW Dealer in Dundee has said that there is a pause in production due to COVID-19, and that a decision has yet to be made about restarting E-up! production. They also claim there might be a small number available from stock. Incidentally Seat are quoting 18-20 week lead time for a Mii Electric.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve read that’s it’s due to the reports of charging issues it’s the reason I’ve cancelled my mii electric and bought a gti instead

Shame as I really wanted to get back in an ev I’ll go electric again When if the id1 or model 1 arrive

at least I have my gti to ease the disappointment :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve just committed to buying one from stock, could you link to the charging issues please? Is it just “rapidgate” (Which won’t affect me commuting to work and charging at home) or something more serious?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Someone I know tells me he has a Tesla Model 3 Performance, he generally raved about it handling ride performance etc. I looked up the price and had to sit down for a few moments!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone I know tells me he has a Tesla Model 3 Performance, he generally raved about it handling ride performance etc. I looked up the price and had to sit down for a few moments!
That’s like comparing an Up GTi to a BMW m3 because they both run on 98ron!

·
Registered
51 Posts
That’s like comparing an Up GTi to a BMW m3 because they both run on 98ron!
Now that’s an idea... Premium Electricity for EV’s. Snake oil? Blinker fluid?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve just committed to buying one from stock, could you link to the charging issues please? Is it just “rapidgate” (Which won’t affect me commuting to work and charging at home) or something more serious?
there are two issues
1. Despite being advertised as having 7.2kw home charging it won’t Not unless you have 3 phase electrics (most UK homes don’t) it will only charge at 3.6kw I had that on a leaf and it’s not great . It may not matter to you but I didn’t want it again . So despite them advertising a full charge in 4 hours the reality is nearer 10 . If for example your on octopus go that wouldn’t give you a charge on the low rate .

2. Despite it having 40kw ccs rapid (already 10kw slower than most) the charge only ever starts at the high speed then tapers off (this is the same for all ev)

There are many reports of rapids starting at around 30 and rapidly reducing down to 20 or less

this means the 20-80% rapid of 30 minutes is really around an hour or more

again it may not matter to you but it was enough for me to cancel my order
hope that helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts