Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well they tried to claw some money back on pasties and caravans but that didn't work
so tax the motorist instead
like you said it was bound to happen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There's sadly only one logical answer to VED: road pricing.
i.e. all vehicles charged by the type of road and distance travelled and type of vehicle by having a smart chip installed.

Those that use the priciest roads to maintain for the longest distances with the heaviest/most polluting cars pay the most.

Of course that won't be fair either to most people especially as I'm guessing the most expensive roads to maintain are those in the least populated areas (?) and those are the sort of drivers who then drive the most? and need a car the most?

Osborne already has his golden goose for road funds: fuel taxation.
Scrap the tax disc altogether and have an MOT/Insurance disc, as Osbornes already getting far more in fuel excise than he'll ever spend on the roads in any case.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that the 'VED Free' limit of 99g/km is going to be lowered to 85g/km. It will not take long for the manufacturers to suddenly find a way to get their small cars down to that level. It's just the goalposts being moved all the time...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm thinking of having my wages paid straight to the government, living on leaves and rainwater, sheltered in a darkened box! This will cut out the middleman totally, and they can have all my money, without the added complication of having to come up with ever more incredulous methods of taxing me to get my money. Anyone one thought of a height tax yet... Duh... 6'2" ohhh I have to pay more again...

If I bought a skateboard some government dept would suddenly be put in charge of human powered prambulous transport taxes, to make sure I wasn't practicing any form of tax avoidance!

Here have the lot... If I have it, I will only spend it on things (like a VW up!), creating jobs, increasing demand and improving the economy.... We can't have that can we? It simply wouldn't be cricket old boy...Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
956 Posts
Markmod1 said:
I'm thinking of having my wages paid straight to the government, living on leaves and rainwater, sheltered in a darkened box! This will cut out the middleman totally, and they can have all my money, without the added complication of having to come up with ever more incredulous methods of taxing me to get my money. Anyone one thought of a height tax yet... Duh... 6'2" ohhh I have to pay more again...

If I bought a skateboard some government dept would suddenly be put in charge of human powered prambulous transport taxes, to make sure I wasn't practicing any form of tax avoidance!

Here have the lot... If I have it, I will only spend it on things (like a VW up!), creating jobs, increasing demand and improving the economy.... We can't have that can we? It simply wouldn't be cricket old boy...

Love it, love it, love it. I wanna be in your gang

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey, let's look on the bright side. Whatever they do to the tax we'll all still be saving a fortune on petrol, and we'll be driving around in up!s!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yapmaul said:
Hey, let's look on the bright side. Whatever they do to the tax we'll all still be saving a fortune on petrol, and we'll be driving around in up!s!!
I hope not. If everyone drove an Up, fuel tax receipts would plummet, so the government would increase fuel tax.

It's the same with electric cars. Some people rave about electric cars, saying how cheap and green the fuel is. Well, where do you think the energy comes from? Mostly coal! And what do you think the government will do when fuel tax revenues plummet? Yup, road pricing as stated in earlier posts.

T'other poster is right. Here government, have my money, I'll just shoot myself so you don't waste any on me.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ozmosis said:
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that the 'VED Free' limit of 99g/km is going to be lowered to 85g/km. It will not take long for the manufacturers to suddenly find a way to get their small cars down to that level. It's just the goalposts being moved all the time...
I might not be popular for saying this, but that's not such a bad idea. It encourages manufacturers to make more efficient cars, as long as the tax changes are gradual. And if the cars are as nice as the UP, that really is not so bad.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i would swear if i could on here but i dont want to lower the tone.... i hate the government sometimes...

·
Registered
553 Posts
willowaz said:
i would swear if i could on here but i dont want to lower the tone.... i hate the government sometimes...
Yup! what a pity we're not a democratic country!! (as in we usually get 40% of the population dictating to rest of us due to our very un-democratic first past the post system)

But hey lets not let POLITICS spoil our great forum peeps!!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't forget about us bikers, I have a classic restored Honda CB750 which only does about 1000 miles at the most over the summer months, but this week I have been relieved of £76
for 12 months tax!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Funny you should say that Tony.........

I've just swapped my VFR800 for a Transit Connect because I've only done 70 miles on it since last MOT (MOT'D last Friday), and only 200 miles since the one before.....so......it had to go!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M5 SUT said:
willowaz said:
Yup! what a pity we're not a democratic country!! (as in we usually get 40% of the population dictating to rest of us due to our very un-democratic first past the post system)

But hey lets not let POLITICS spoil our great forum peeps!!!!!
You could say that we have an elected dictatorship and when we really get bored of them, we kick them out. In a sense all our electoral system does is prevent a grossly corrupt party from holding power indefinitely. Oddly enough, there are good things to be said in favour of China, a country run by an essentially unelected mafia. They tend to be well educated, and they are not swayed by a powerful media. I have a suspicion that powerful elements of the media are now taking revenge on the government. Chinese politicians also tend to operate for the general good, rather than the individual. I'm thinking of the one child policy for example. Anyway, as you say, too political, possibly damaging to the forum!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts