Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing posts from new owners surprised that they don't have a spare wheel. They're only £50 if you order with the car, and I'm amazed that any salesman doesn't mention it, but clearly Some of them dont bother. Maybe we could put an alert where new members can see it in time?Edited by: yapmaul

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Agree....it's a no-brainer, perhaps a mod could start a 'newbies start here' sticky

·
Registered
604 Posts
when iorderedmine I knew about full sizesparewheel is extra but ithoughtI would still get a space saver wheel, but no, I was a bitsurprised to see a spray can.

dealer never said anything to me at time of order, Iprobablywould have got one

·
Registered
532 Posts
My dealer suggested the spare wheel and I went for it. It's clean in the boot so there's no good reason why you can't put it in the shed for day to day use and only put the spare in for journeys where a spare would be really useful.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Surely that's got to be for every journey? How can you guarantee that the short trip you take to go shopping doesn't leave you with a flat tyre and no method of inflating it again?

Nick

·
Registered
851 Posts
Collas said:
Surely that's got to be for every journey? How can you guarantee that the short trip you take to go shopping doesn't leave you with a flat tyre and no method of inflating it again?

Nick
Yes, buy a spare at car order time for £50 and leave it permanently in the boot. If you feel you don't have enough available boot space then you're buying the wrong car. May I suggest the Clio estate?

·
Registered
727 Posts
yapmaul said:
I keep seeing posts from new owners surprised that they don't have a spare wheel.

Don't know why they're surprised, if they had taken only 2 minutes to look atVW's online up!configurator they'd clearly see the spare is an option and not standard equipment.

·
Registered
851 Posts
To be fair people are so used to a spare being standard that they take no notice of any sentence with the word wheel in it. I was only looking out for it as we had to ask for one when buying my wife's Nissan Juke. And I only new that because I must have read it somewhere and retained it in my memory bank. The Nissan salesman was so surprised when we asked for one he didn't know how to get it or how much it cost. It turned out to be a disappointing space saver limited to 50mph. But when we discovered a puncture whilst parked on the drive (we could clearly see the screw that had gone through) the nice RAC man swapped the wheels over in 5 mins and then it was easy to get to a tyre depot for a repair and to return the space saver back to the boot.

·
Registered
604 Posts
vwild1 said:
Don't know why they're surprised, if they had taken only 2 minutes to look at VW's online up! configurator they'd clearly see the spare is an option and not standard equipment.
I did see that a "full size spare wheel" is extra but by that wording is sounds like you get a space saver wheel or you can upgrade to a full size one for £50

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows.

How much does the spare with jack, etc weigh?

It's standard kit in Australia regardless.

·
Registered
727 Posts
spud said:
vwild1 said:
Don't know why they're surprised, if they had taken only 2 minutes to look atVW's online up!configurator they'd clearly see the spare is an option and not standard equipment.
I did see that a "full size spare wheel" is extra but by that wording is sounds like you get a space saver wheel or you can upgrade to a full size one for £50

Ah yes, good point. I hadn't thought of a space saver wheel.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Question is, do you really want to be crawling around a car at the edge of abusy road. We decided not to get a spare and just use the repair kit which is quicker
and safer (I hope). Touchwood, I haven't had a puncture in over 10 years so the odds of
needing a spare are quite low.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you seen this?http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/spare-tyre
The repair kit may not do the job as the above WAtchdog programme showed.
Chances are if you have not had a puncture in the last 10 years, your odds of getting one are probably greater! Sorry.
If you belong to a 'car rescue' scheme i.e. Green Flag or AA, they can do it for you anyway. Safe motoring.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The "full" size spare wheel is a 14" which means if you have 15" or 16" alloys you will need to limit your speed and distance whilst using it. I don't know if there is anyaffect to the suspension,look for a spare 15" or 16" if that is your wheel size.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The tyre comes with the wheel.....for £50.....like the old days when they gave you a spare wheel & tyre with every car...usually hidden below the boot... as in the Up!....But it is only a basic one. i.e. a lower spec than your other 4 wheels

·
Registered
304 Posts
Davey22 said:
Chances are if you have not had a puncture in the last 10 years, your odds of getting one are probably greater! Sorry.
Sorry Davey the probability of chance doesn't stack up as the time increases that you haven't had a puncture... Fortunately the odds of getting a puncture are exactly the same as every time you go out in the car... Albeit with a small adjustment/ increase of chance based on the ageing of the tyre/ reducing depth of tyre tread.

It's a bit like tossing a coin, the chance of getting heads/ tails is always the same, and not biased in anyway by previous throws....Edited by: Markmod1

1 - 20 of 31 Posts