Up Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time I needed to use sat nav so connected the phone cradle and used google maps directions in my iPhone 6. if I don't connect the phone to the car via the usb I can hear the voice directions from the phone however when I connect up the usb I cant hear the voice command which is very annoying.
Can anyone help?
cheers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've not found a way around this either - exactly the same for me. The display warns you that it can't be hard-wired connected and bluetooth active at the same time and deactivates the bluetooth. This causes voice over not to play through the speakers which is most weird. My Nissan Juke did this without issue.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not found a way around this either - exactly the same for me. The display warns you that it can't be hard-wired connected and bluetooth active at the same time and deactivates the bluetooth. This causes voice over not to play through the speakers which is most weird. My Nissan Juke did this without issue.
Do you know If I get the maps + more app will its sat nav voice command work? would rather use google but really need a sat nav with voice command on the few occasions I use it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Do you know If I get the maps + more app will its sat nav voice command work? would rather use google but really need a sat nav with voice command on the few occasions I use it.
Yes mate, it does. It isn't a bad nav system, I just prefer Google tbh.

I did find this a bit hit and miss too though - sometimes it recognised the connection and other times it didn't. I seem to recall connecting the USB after the ignition is switched on offered the best guarantee of success.

Not the best system by all accounts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes mate, it does. It isn't a bad nav system, I just prefer Google tbh.

I did find this a bit hit and miss too though - sometimes it recognised the connection and other times it didn't. I seem to recall connecting the USB after the ignition is switched on offered the best guarantee of success.

Not the best system by all accounts.
Ok cheers, Think Google will be the best free sat nav but will download the VW app and see how that goes..

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If you want to hear what's coming out of the phone then you have to select the input the phone is connected to which will be either bluetooth or USB, if you don't then you won't hear it.

Maps and more works by the app through the phone and does all that but the actual nav system in the app is garbage, it's not very intuitive to use and for some reason it just takes you on the most ridiculous routes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to hear what's coming out of the phone then you have to select the input the phone is connected to which will be either bluetooth or USB, if you don't then you won't hear it.

Maps and more works by the app through the phone and does all that but the actual nav system in the app is garbage, it's not very intuitive to use and for some reason it just takes you on the most ridiculous routes.
Downloaded the maps and more app to see if that would work however just the same, I listen to my music through the SD card and can hear the volume lower slightly and can hear what must be my phone whisper directions then the volume rises again, worst of all is your given a cradle and a cable and have just to get on with it when if you got some form of instructions this forum wouldn't be full of questions regarding maps and more.
When I connect it connects with both Bluetooth and the USB so what should I actually do when I connect my phone? hate coming on here like a muppet because I don't have instructions to work things out myself.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need at charge only USB cable then the sound will work. BTW remember to turn the bluetooth volume up on the phone when. Best done when you hear directions from the sat nav.

The problem is that the car deactivates bluetooth because i finds the USB conncetion when the cable is connected. With a charge only USB cable it will not deactive the bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need at charge only USB cable then the sound will work. BTW remember to turn the bluetooth volume up on the phone when. Best done when you hear directions from the sat nav.

The problem is that the car deactivates bluetooth because i finds the USB conncetion when the cable is connected. With a charge only USB cable it will not deactive the bluetooth connection.
So the cable they supply is useless? WTF is the point of that if you want to use the sat nav without draining your phones charge? only VW :sad:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Downloaded the maps and more app to see if that would work however just the same, I listen to my music through the SD card and can hear the volume lower slightly and can hear what must be my phone whisper directions then the volume rises again, worst of all is your given a cradle and a cable and have just to get on with it when if you got some form of instructions this forum wouldn't be full of questions regarding maps and more.
When I connect it connects with both Bluetooth and the USB so what should I actually do when I connect my phone? hate coming on here like a muppet because I don't have instructions to work things out myself.
Cheers.
Sounds to me like you need to turn up the volume on the phone or the nav app.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Had a little play with this tonight. I remember seeing that there was a navigation volume in the head unit settings. Having checked this it is greyed out when using any other navigation app aside from the Maps and more.

There are a few options:

Use a cable plugged in from the 12v socket near to the gearstick, thus maintaining a bluetooth connection

Use a 'charge only' cable or data blocker adapter in the cradle usb socket, again thus forcing a bluetooth connection

Use the maps and more app for navigation - but we obv know that there are better apps out there.

For anybody wishing to use maps and more (I've used it to display data figures all in one place at times), you can stop it doing that irritating thing where it automatically plays the same first song by switching of maps and more's permission to access the music on the phone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts