Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove an up! (75HP, BMT) yesterday.

It drives surprisingly well for such a small car with such a small engine.
Pulls OK, has no trouble with low rpm.
The shift indicator wants you to shift really early - it did 50 kph in 5th without a problem, my current turbodiesel car will protest when I do that !

I could easily sit behind myself, which I think is surprising in such a small car.

The ride is a bit too harsh to my liking - especially ingoing damping feels harsh, rather than hard.

The stock 165 tyres are quite easily overpowered by the brakes, so it'd pay off to give it better tyres.

Engine noise becomes more prominent over 110 kph (70 mph).
Spray noise in the wheel wells is clearly audible due to a lack of coverings there.

The greatest drawback IMO ?
The windows fog up easily (it was rather wet outside) and the ventilation can't cope with that unless the airco is switched on.

All in all minor issues, and I'd have bought the Eco-up! version in a heartbeat if it wasn't for a single fatal issue ...

Only half an hour into the test drive, my back started hurting badly.
I tried different seat positions, but it only got worse during the rest of the 1h test drive.

I've had to sell off a nearly new Toyota Yaris in 2005 because it gave me back pains, and I'd rather not repeat that costly experience.
Also, I've since had more issues with my back than before.

So ... no up! for me.

Pity, as I had really wanted an Eco up! as it's just about the least eco-unfriendly car you can buy today.
A back-to-basics, lighter, no-nonsense car.

I guess I'll have to rethink my car options

Have fun with your up!s.Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
851 Posts
Do you not have one of those wooden beaded cushions for your back? I thought they enabled drivers with bad backs to drive any car.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AlanG said:
Do you not have one of those wooden beaded cushions for your back? I thought they enabled drivers with bad backs to drive any car.
I've never used beaded seat covers - and honestly I don't think my back is particularly bad either

As it is, I've never minded doing all-day-long drives of 1000km to 1000 miles in my Volvo, in an Audi A3, or even in my old Peugeot 306.
Obviously, I would feel that I've been in a car all day, but it never hurt.

On the Yaris, I never had an issue with the base-model test car / loaner that I drove: the base model didn't have height adjustment on the seat, but my higher spec'ed Yaris did.

While I could test drive a Take up! without seat height adjustment, we can't get the eco up! in Take up! guise in Belgium due to the rather strange policy of the importer.
(Can't get factory-installed alloy wheels on the Eco up! either.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leif said:
I had back trouble with my TakeUp, it was quite unpleasant. I have broken the seat in and it is now okay. 
As much as I'd have liked to buy an EcoFuel up! , I'm not going to risk my back for it.

Leif said:
There are orthopaedic seat inserts available, someone here posted a link to one. Have you tried those?
It was only a test drive.

I would try it if I had already bought the car, but now I'll just err ... pass up on the up! .

·
Registered
113 Posts
I found for the first few trips I was getting backache, but now its fine. I gues you either get used to it or the seat breaks in?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VW seats for 50 GBP ?
Or just the orthopaedic seat inserts ?

Would you happen to have alink to the post about the orthopaedic seat inserts ?
I can't seem to find it :(Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a medesign back support, currently undergoing testing. I'll report back if you wish.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got word from a local car interior outfitter.
In the up!, the foam is integral with the seat cover.

Adapting the foam to suit my back, means changing the seat covers as well.

Unfortunately, that pushes the up! EcoFuel well beyond its intended cheap commuter-car role.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts