Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, new to hear but seems as vw customer service isn't too impressive thought I might get some answers on here from you guys..first week car was smooth, no noise and well worth the four month wait..then boom.. as I'm putting foot on accelerator there's a noise, which vw roadside assistance classed as 'pinking' but he couldn't understand as he ran diagnostics and it came back working fine. it sounds like there's air trapped or fan belt going round slack..faster I go and put foot down louder it gets..I have to put radio on full blast to drown it out! Soo went to garage technician took me out in another up! no noise..he then took me out in another up..slight noise..he said its with it been minimal sound proofing I'll hear a lot more than I should.. I wasn't impressed as my old Clio didn't make this noise and I'm pretty guttered if I have to now deal with this noise..any ideas to what it could be??..felt he was fobbing me off as I'm young lass who knows nothing about a car..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If it really is pinking/knocking, it may be caused by low quality fuel.

Also. The think blue thing makes one change so early it can labour the engine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My up! and quite a few others have reported this noise. It only seems to occur in 5th gear, doing about 50 - 70mph and when accelerating or labouring the engine. I personally think its the gearbox making the noise and don't think it is anything to do with the engine, as it would surely do it in 4th gear and probably all of the others too. The gearbox also makes a raspy/whirring noise with an occasional rattle when you first start the car with a cold engine but disappears when you depress the clutch. It also goes once the engine has warmed up.

I would imagine that it is likely just the way the car is and is probably due to it being new/the design/minimal soundproofing used. Unless mine gets any worse, I'm not going to worry about it as in all other respects the car is perfect for me :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts