Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After becoming almost paranoid with the gearobs issue, on my travels this morning i listened very carefully to the noise coming from the engine bay, what i have always thought was an induction sound, now sounds a little more sinister. I rang the VW dealer straight away and they are prepared see me tomorrow, i hope i,m wrong. We,ll see...............

·
Registered
124 Posts
Haha, I've been in the exact same boat as you! I keep turning my music off and keenly listening to the engine bay...

The fact that the only posters who where actually saying they had an issue and it was confirmed by VW/lead to failure turned out to be the same guy on multiple accounts, pretending to be different people, made me feel a fair bit better about the matter!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Lovejimbo said:
Haha, I've been in the exact same boat as you! I keep turning my music off and keenly listening to the engine bay...

The fact that the only posters who where actually saying they had an issue and it was confirmed by VW/lead to failure turned out to be the same guy on multiple accounts, pretending to be different people, made me feel a fair bit better about the matter!

Was his first name Henry?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
really? someone was being dodgy and over the top about the gearbox issue?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i think the gearbox issue was just a one off issue and is all depends on how u drivin the car in the beginning

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi there, I was wondering what to expect when we finally get our UP... we hear of different recalls on different cars now and again across the car industry. So .... would not be outraged as its a new little car. But there was a lot hot air about the gearbox making a noise in 5th gear, and high revs?... as far as I know about new cars, one has to "ride them in" not exceed certain rev's for a month or 2 till the engine is properly seated? Any hoo! I am keen for it, if it has a bug, will get it fixed and love the cab none the less!!! :)

Still massively excited for ours and don't care the niggly bits here and there... just want the little cabby! heheheh its apparently week 15 now so .... 2 more weeks and ours will be built. Joy!!! have fun everyone!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am clawing at my sanity with waiting! but very excited still :) It possibly is the same batch? I wonder where ours would land how long it takes? Good luck with the wait your side!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi we just took diivery of a black full spec high up yesterday all looks very nice but the
engine makes a buzzing noise it sounds like the exhaust is leaking i have not had time yet to ask vw if this is indeed the sound the engine makes if it is then we will not get to like it as it sounds cheap i have looked at all the test drives on youtube and it has not been mentioned also the car had no info nav display and when we phoned to ask where it was we were told it was on order not what you wanted to be told after waiting for months for the car

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I heard that 3 cylinder engines do make a buzzy noise when compared to 4 cylinder's.
Not having my up yet, I can't compare..

perhaps others who have their cars can comment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, three cylinder cars do have a unique sound, almost half a v6 type sound, starting to think theres nothing wrong with mine its just the engine note. Gearbox is so silky smooth and very quiet through all changes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The 'exhaust leak'sound does seem to be acharacteristic of these engines.It has been evident on the 3 cars i have driven.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Triples do have a unique sound and feel, like an angry bee and they gain and loose revs at the blink of an eye: as they have less mass to spin. The VW unit doesn't have a balancer shaft as VW say that there engine is balanced and assembled to such high tolerances, it doesnt need one. One of the engineering team on the UP engine worked on the Veryon engine.Bear with it Triples are addictive, Ive driven about 150K in them but the VW Up is like silk in comparison to what I drove before, Daihastsu and Daweoo.

You are shaping the future ..........
Lessismore

Cheers

Mike

(waiting for a UP Black was May , Now June

·
Registered
143 Posts
try the triple in the Smart Roadster, vibration everywhere, along with a nice popping sound from the turbo....

As you say very addictive and if it likes the Smart, it likes revs...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have to say the noises mentioned above and the reports did bother me to begin with. That said, I've now done about 300 miles and it seems to be settling down. Yes there is a bit of a throaty sound when accelerating - makes it sound a bit rawty (sp?) though, and doesn't seem to affect the performance at all. The owner's manual does say that you should take it easy for the first few miles, which is fair enough, and I'm happy that everything will settle down eventually.

All this aside, the car is brilliant though and great fun to drive. I'm sure once it's bedded in and loosened up it will be even more fantastic!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took it back to Verve in Glasgow today re buzzing noise which does not seam to be coming from Engine, when at stand still and you rev up, I dont here it, but through gears sounds like Exhaust leaking.
Amyway Mechanic let us try another UP it did not sound half as bad, but his explanation is, that is how they sound, I can not accept that or why was the other UP not as bad, I was wondering could the problem be that exhaust pipe does not stick out past the car body? it is well under the body, could the sound be resinating under the car? Then on to ipod, they told us it would work through Aux using head phone cnnecion on ipod, i does not work and they still do no have the infotainment screen which is a downer considering the car is paid for and was top of range with all options

But I am sure the noise is not right or why have none of the many tests conducted by the press not mentioned it Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Deek
Not trying to be cheeky but did you go through all the settings to set up the AUX plug in the radio system? It's not just a plug and play! You have to go through menu settings.

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gary thank you for your post, not in the least cheeky but more informitive than the Verve Staff, who said you had to use a phono lead in headphone socket of ipod to Aux.
We did what you said and used proper Ipod connection cable and it worked, we would have hoped to have cmore control over ipod, perhaps whenwe get our infotainment screen that willoffer more control.

Thank You, We told the Verve Staffand now perhaps they can give correct advise to clients.

The Up is so good in most aspects but the buzzing noise cant be right, I will keep searching to I find what it is.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts