Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just go my high up yesterday and taken out at a range of speeds from 20 in speed bump zone, to 55 on an A road. I notice accerating even at just 2000 rpm that it is very noisy, though as soon as you ease off the pedal is quietens down a lot. Is this normal? I had an aygo until just over a year ago so I am used to 3 cyl engines. It wasn't that bad. Is it something that decreases with running in? Or should I take it back to dealer.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That's normal but it is a nice noise

·
Registered
430 Posts
Normal, It does getting quieter eventually though. I've had a few new cars but this is the first I've had that is noticeably different now at 6000 miles than when new. When I picked mine up it sounded like a diesel and was a bit hesitant accelerating but now it sounds lovely and is quite nippy, mpg is also better but that could be the warmer months.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Goldfive. I had a Yaris with the 3 cylinder engine for 2 years, and I noticed that the Up's 3 cylinder is more noisy but it sounds much better under acceleration (3000rpm and over sounds awesome). I'm much happier with the VW unit than the Toyota one. Usually, it sounds laboured in 5th at under 2000rpm and doesn't improve hardly at all with more miles. I think it's just down to less sound proofing in the engine bay, but it could be that by design (cylinder arrangement, gearbox/engine layoutetc) that it's noisier.
This is completely normal, so don't worry about taking it back to the dealer. Give it a thousand miles or so to run in and loosen up. It frees up a lot and just gets better and better.

I hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think you'll find it isn't the engine that makes most of the noise - it's the well documented clutch engagement and gear cluster rattle that VW say are 'characteristics' of the up!.

I find the engine itself to be sweet, with the nice 3 cylinder thrum, but overall I agree an Aygo is mechanically quieter up to 50mph - using my daughter's 80,000 mile Aygo as the comparison. Above 50 and particularly when cruising the up! really comes into its own.

The up! is great in so many ways, but it isn't perfect.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've found that the engine is surprisingly smooth when accelerating hard and much better than any four-cylinder I've owned. And it does make a rather nice sound, though not as good (or loud!) as a KTM Duke II being unleashed. It has a hint of Porsche to it.

Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was going to post on here and ask if the engine noise is normal so I'm glad I looked at this one first. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and just passed the 1000 miles - I've noticed the engine noise a little bit more now but I think it's because up until now I've been focusing on staying below 3000 and watching what I'm doing. Now I've passed the 1000 mile mark I'm driving a little more "freer" so have become aware of the noise - was a bit worried I was thrashing it!!

First time on the motorway this weekend, amazing little car - quite happy at 70-80 and more than capable of overtaking. Really smooth ride - only thing I found (I've got the basic Take Up) the plastic steering wheel wasa little uncomfortable after a few hours so may invest in a leather cover!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The sweetspot is as said before between 3000-4000RPM, a real ear-catcher :D

I love the sound of these little cars - that is, "correctly driven" little cars ;)
Edited by: Gnuet

·
Registered
438 Posts
On my test drive, giving it the full beans, I thought it sounded like a Porsche 911 inside. Wishful thinking maybe?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've just done 650 miles and notice the engine noise increase. I just love it. It has a similar but lesser 'rort' of a Benelli 1130cc triple I once had. For me, this just adds to the driving pleasure. This little car has so many good features and characteristics and I look forward to every drive I have in it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Scrubnut said:
On my test drive, giving it the full beans, I thought it sounded like a Porsche 911 inside. Wishful thinking maybe?

It does! I really love the noise, it's one of my favourite features of the Up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have now noticed a new noise- a sort of rattle coming from middle of the car. Initially I thought it was objects in storage well or maybe the plastic cover by the handbrake. Only started a week ago. Worse if going over bumpy roads. Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
For what it is worth I have noticed that if the passenger seat belt is not properly stowed it will vibrate against the front seat causing a rattle.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I get the same, but mine rattles against the B pillar trim.Just takes a "tweek" when you can do it and problem solved.

Go well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Checked the seat belts - not that. In fact it seems to be the plastic surround vibrating against the handbrake, because you can replicate the noise by tapping the side of the handbrake. Mmm. Can't see how that can be fixed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Goldfive said:
Can't see how that can be fixed.
The surround comes off the metal lever.
A thin piece of self-adhesive foam tape on the inside of the cover may well do the trick.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having looked into how to get the cover off- I'd need to buy a vag torque wrench- seems too difficult. However, I've been trying to notice when it occurs and last Friday it didn't do it in the morning, but did in the evening. Am wondering that if the car is warm - maybe the handbrake cable or a clip gets looser so rattles, but when it is cold it's tight enough. Will monitor this week and then consider a trip to the dealer, and they can take a look at the leaky back windscreen washer too. Am sad though, didn't need to take our fiesta back for any snagging issues in it's first year, but it's a more solid (though boring to drive and hard to park, and rubbish mpg) car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I read the various posts and therefore was waiting for 'the noise' when I picked my new High Up from the car dealer on Friday. However, to my surprise I found it to be very quiet other than the right kind of sound when going up the gears. Just enough of a good noise to know you are driving it.

So far - it's all good with an UP!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts